AJ Blends Just Suck

Comments

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHOA WHOA WHOA DO NOT ATTACK VIC!

JUST KIDDING!!
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    So what if it is an attack? The guy is a business man and someone feels his product sucks. No dffierent than someone saying WalMart sucks. He isnt judging the man, he;s judging what he feels to be an inferior product as a whole and not mincing and words or making it cute for anyone's ears. Too much political correctness and creative wordsmithing can hurt a point sometimes.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    SleevePlz:
    Smokindaddy:
    Acutally I can agree, it really wasn't much of a review, an attack, really? Come on, since you and Ken seem to have read what I wrote, Im just curious as to why both of you ignored the word, opinion. I mean, I wrote it several times, its in there, a lot. And with 6 pages of comments, seems like you two are the only really two that can find fault with an opinion.
    Considering you wrote the original post with the title "AJ Blends Just Suck", I would consider this thread to be a simple attack. Not on me, but on AJ Fernandez. Clearly, you wanted to start a firestorm of opinions and you did. And for the record, me calling it an attack is obviously just my opinion.
    Good point Tony
    ,,I agree with Steve,,whos Tony??
  • Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    SleevePlz:
    Smokindaddy:
    Acutally I can agree, it really wasn't much of a review, an attack, really? Come on, since you and Ken seem to have read what I wrote, Im just curious as to why both of you ignored the word, opinion. I mean, I wrote it several times, its in there, a lot. And with 6 pages of comments, seems like you two are the only really two that can find fault with an opinion.
    Considering you wrote the original post with the title "AJ Blends Just Suck", I would consider this thread to be a simple attack. Not on me, but on AJ Fernandez. Clearly, you wanted to start a firestorm of opinions and you did. And for the record, me calling it an attack is obviously just my opinion.
    Heres the thing, when it comes to AJ, I don't think it really matters what I wrote as a heading or in a review or opinion when it comes to these forums. Im not bashing anyone for liking AJ stuff, Dustin has stated over and over that he hates AF. I happen to love AF but I respecet how he feels about AF. It seems like there is no respect from people who like AJ stuff for people that go against the grain and state it's just not for them.
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    So what if it is an attack? The guy is a business man and someone feels his product sucks. No dffierent than someone saying WalMart sucks. He isnt judging the man, he;s judging what he feels to be an inferior product as a whole and not mincing and words or making it cute for anyone's ears. Too much political correctness and creative wordsmithing can hurt a point sometimes.
    Exactly!!!
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    catfishbluezz:
    SleevePlz:
    Smokindaddy:
    Good point Tony
    ,,I agree with Steve,,whos Tony??
    Thanks for that. Wouldn't want anyone to forget my name. Lol.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Smokindaddy:
    Vulchor:
    Exactly!!!

+1 more
  • Options
    Smokindaddy:
    Vulchor:
    Exactly!!!
    Smokingdaddy's threads just suck!!!
    disclaimer im not attacking Smokingdaddy just his thoughts,,lol
  • Options
    Vision:
    I was just thinking about this.... Dont we all... or most.... maybe just some of us all have a brand we just cant get into. Perdomo is my "Not a fan of...." If it were worded "Not a fan of AJ Blends" ...would it have gotten to this or is it JUST the wording that is getting the attention?
    Honestly, I could have worded it "AJ blends do not tickle my fancy" and everything would have been the exact same. Some people hate meat, others love it, but when one side says it out loud, watch out.
  • Options
    The Kid:
    Smokindaddy:
    Vulchor:
    Exactly!!!
    Smokingdaddy's threads just suck!!!
    Couldn't agree more, smartest thing anyone has posted on the topic yet!
  • Options
    Smokindaddy:
    It seems like there is no respect from people who like AJ stuff for people that go against the grain and state it's just not for them.
    Well, you did a little more than just state it's not for you. You made a post that you clearly knew would get flamed.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Smokindaddy:
    Vision:
    I was just thinking about this.... Dont we all... or most.... maybe just some of us all have a brand we just cant get into. Perdomo is my "Not a fan of...." If it were worded "Not a fan of AJ Blends" ...would it have gotten to this or is it JUST the wording that is getting the attention?
    Honestly, I could have worded it "AJ blends do not tickle my fancy" and everything would have been the exact same. Some people hate meat, others love it, but when one side says it out loud, watch out.
    Again....think about how much he puts out, enough that someone will swear by him if they like a couple of his blends, even though the majority blow. It's the point I was kind of alluding to in another thread, he has priced and blended himself out of the higher market in doing so to make a name.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Smokindaddy:
    catfishbluezz:
    SleevePlz:
    Ken Light:
    Man, there is so much wrong with this post. I don't think any of it was intentional though, so the following is meant as constructively as possible.

First, there is no review here. "This sucks" or "This is not complex" are not reviews. Clearly you cannot pick out flavors and your palette just isn't where it need to be to write a review. Mine isn't either, but I don't write reviews. Or you just didn't bother to elaborate, which would be worse. I'm a huge AJ fan, but I didn't open this thread to flame you or defend my tastes. I opened this thread because I was genuinely curious to hear the opinion of a palette clearly very different than mind, and I didn't get that.

Next, you're saying you got some of these sticks through trades and bombs. I don't see why you'd want to point that out. You're basically poo-pooing a cigar that some BOTL was kind enough to gift you. That's terrible. I'm surprised more people haven't pointed that out.

Third, you talk about how smoking every day would cheapen it for you. And you allude to the fact that you'd only smoke MoW or UHC if you smoked every day, and thus had cheapened the hobby. I'm not a daily smoker by any means, but if I was I'd hate to come on here and have someone blindly taking stabs at the way I enjoy the hobby.

Finally, you call AJ fans "blind and convinced to buy mass quantitys[sic] of below average sticks." Wow, really? That's some pretty harsh personal criticism. I can tell you the first MoW I smoked knocked my socks off and I had no idea who AJ Fernandez was at the time and the same happened with the Gurkha Park Ave.

In closing, I'd love to read an actual review you write about AJ in general, maybe with some specific blends talked about and specific flavors and profiles. You can't tell me that a Park Ave tastes like an UHC to you. I hope. So I'd love to know what you find that you don't like or what you look for that you don't find.
    Since everyone else seems to be ignoring this wonderful response, I would like to say thank you, Ken. Everything you point out here is spot on. This wasn't a review or even constructive criticism. It was simply an attack.
    Dude....if I had to write a review for every one of his blends that sucked, it would take forever. Plain and simple, alot of them taste the same...no need to review each one, they are not worth it. I don't think he is saying sticks that got sent to him sucked, he thanks everyone for sending him sticks, then offers to send them out to other people. And the blind comment is in regard to the pricing blinding the consumer not the consumer being blind, and I cannot agree more. I think the fact he took the time to thank everyone for their generosity and sharing shows his character. Maybe his approach wasn't the best, but I hardly feel like it was an attack on people.
    Dustin had done everthing he can think of to try to get me to become an AJ fan and he can tell you, I really wanted to like AJ stuff. I traded him all kinds of stuff just so I could try more AJ blends. Dustin had given me sticks to try and more recently BigT hooked me up with some aged stuff, which I have to say was the better of everything I have tried. But I can almost promise you that they are not going to be mad that I didn't like what I was given to try. That is one of the best things about our hobby. I smoked this amazing stick, it was so good, I want you to try it, whats that, you didnt like it, ok no big deal, on to the next one. Throwing me under the buss to other bothers is pretty F'ed up, just sayin!
    Had you written that story in your post, it would have been fine. You didn't, so the reader is left to fill in the blanks. It might be true that I didn't give you the benefit of the doubt here, but it was the context of the rest of the post and the title that caused that. And you put this in the "Ratings and Reviews" section and referred to your tirade (I won't call it an attack per se) as a review throughout. Of course reviews are based on opinions, I think everyone here realizes that. However, if my opinion is that you're a pile of **** (it's not, by the way, or I wouldn't bother writing any of this), is it less offensive because I call it an opinion? I don't think so.

Finally, and I do mean that this time, if this is your idea of being thrown under the bus you are sadly mistaken. I was simply trying to point out why you created a bit of a firestorm here so that, taking you on your word that it wasn't your intention, it might not happen next time. Maybe you like drama though, if so carry on, do you.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Smokindaddy:
    It seems like there is no respect from people who like AJ stuff for people that go against the grain and state it's just not for them.
    Well, you did a little more than just state it's not for you. You made a post that you clearly knew would get flamed.
    Which takes balls... I got plenty of heat for my comments about AJ in another thread...people got pissed and took it personal, and I'm a fan. Soemthing about AJ fan's, they get all butt hurt if anyone dogs him cause they love their precious $2 yard gar.

EDIT: And Jason has a bunch of mine in his wineador LOL...stash of UHC, Fresh Rolled, and Shorty
  • Options
    Smokindaddy:
    Vision:

Ohh I totally understand. I work in retail and one person will say "I hate Samsung" and the other "I hate Sony"..... I see it all the time but never really paid it much mind. What works for one may not work for the other.
  • Options
    lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
    I would find it hard to put a "sucks" or "doesn't suck" label on an entire blender. Personally I don't have any particular brand or blender loyalty at all. I have a number of individual cigars that I may love or hate or that fall somewhere in between. With that my tastes have changed over time and I think part of the fun of the hobby is trying new things and revisiting cigars that I may not have liked at one time, months or years later to see if I have the same experience. For the last year or so one of my go to favorites is the MOW PA. I smoke 2-4 every week just because I like them and it has nothing to do with the price or who rolled it.... Just my 2 cents!
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    To think of it, I've only had the Ruination, SL Oval, and Armada. I didn't like the Ruination, but did like the Oval and Armada. My sampling is just way to small to like or hate AJ. I haven't had an LFD and I've only had OpusX(which are straight up my fav) and some hemingways. Yea I'm definitely in my collector phase right now.
  • Options
    lonewolf2011:
    I would find it hard to put a "sucks" or "doesn't suck" label on an entire blender. Personally I don't have any particular brand or blender loyalty at all. I have a number of individual cigars that I may love or hate or that fall somewhere in between. With that my tastes have changed over time and I think part of the fun of the hobby is trying new things and revisiting cigars that I may not have liked at one time, months or years later to see if I have the same experience. For the last year or so one of my go to favorites is the MOW PA. I smoke 2-4 every week just because I like them and it has nothing to do with the price or who rolled it.... Just my 2 cents!
    +1 and Id pay a nickle for that
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Smokindaddy:
    catfishbluezz:
    SleevePlz:
    Ken Light:
    Man, there is so much wrong with this post. I don't think any of it was intentional though, so the following is meant as constructively as possible.

First, there is no review here. "This sucks" or "This is not complex" are not reviews. Clearly you cannot pick out flavors and your palette just isn't where it need to be to write a review. Mine isn't either, but I don't write reviews. Or you just didn't bother to elaborate, which would be worse. I'm a huge AJ fan, but I didn't open this thread to flame you or defend my tastes. I opened this thread because I was genuinely curious to hear the opinion of a palette clearly very different than mind, and I didn't get that.

Next, you're saying you got some of these sticks through trades and bombs. I don't see why you'd want to point that out. You're basically poo-pooing a cigar that some BOTL was kind enough to gift you. That's terrible. I'm surprised more people haven't pointed that out.

Third, you talk about how smoking every day would cheapen it for you. And you allude to the fact that you'd only smoke MoW or UHC if you smoked every day, and thus had cheapened the hobby. I'm not a daily smoker by any means, but if I was I'd hate to come on here and have someone blindly taking stabs at the way I enjoy the hobby.

Finally, you call AJ fans "blind and convinced to buy mass quantitys[sic] of below average sticks." Wow, really? That's some pretty harsh personal criticism. I can tell you the first MoW I smoked knocked my socks off and I had no idea who AJ Fernandez was at the time and the same happened with the Gurkha Park Ave.

In closing, I'd love to read an actual review you write about AJ in general, maybe with some specific blends talked about and specific flavors and profiles. You can't tell me that a Park Ave tastes like an UHC to you. I hope. So I'd love to know what you find that you don't like or what you look for that you don't find.
    Since everyone else seems to be ignoring this wonderful response, I would like to say thank you, Ken. Everything you point out here is spot on. This wasn't a review or even constructive criticism. It was simply an attack.
    Dude....if I had to write a review for every one of his blends that sucked, it would take forever. Plain and simple, alot of them taste the same...no need to review each one, they are not worth it. I don't think he is saying sticks that got sent to him sucked, he thanks everyone for sending him sticks, then offers to send them out to other people. And the blind comment is in regard to the pricing blinding the consumer not the consumer being blind, and I cannot agree more. I think the fact he took the time to thank everyone for their generosity and sharing shows his character. Maybe his approach wasn't the best, but I hardly feel like it was an attack on people.
    Dustin had done everthing he can think of to try to get me to become an AJ fan and he can tell you, I really wanted to like AJ stuff. I traded him all kinds of stuff just so I could try more AJ blends. Dustin had given me sticks to try and more recently BigT hooked me up with some aged stuff, which I have to say was the better of everything I have tried. But I can almost promise you that they are not going to be mad that I didn't like what I was given to try. That is one of the best things about our hobby. I smoked this amazing stick, it was so good, I want you to try it, whats that, you didnt like it, ok no big deal, on to the next one. Throwing me under the buss to other bothers is pretty F'ed up, just sayin!
    Had you written that story in your post, it would have been fine. You didn't, so the reader is left to fill in the blanks. It might be true that I didn't give you the benefit of the doubt here, but it was the context of the rest of the post and the title that caused that. And you put this in the "Ratings and Reviews" section and referred to your tirade (I won't call it an attack per se) as a review throughout. Of course reviews are based on opinions, I think everyone here realizes that. However, if my opinion is that you're a pile of **** (it's not, by the way, or I wouldn't bother writing any of this), is it less offensive because I call it an opinion? I don't think so.

Finally, and I do mean that this time, if this is your idea of being thrown under the bus you are sadly mistaken. I was simply trying to point out why you created a bit of a firestorm here so that, taking you on your word that it wasn't your intention, it might not happen next time. Maybe you like drama though, if so carry on, do you.
    Drama is not one of my things, I avoid it all costs. Which is why if you like so many have read what I wrote you would have noticed that the very first sentance I wrote was and appoligy to anyone I might offend. Ken, I know there are a ton of AJ fans, and yes I knew some of them might be angry at what I had to say and yes, Im more then prepaired for it. I don't know what you do for a living but manament comes to mind. You want to accuse some of my points first, instead of asking for thoughts behind them. I was ready to discuss those points in an open forum such as this, but instead of you and Tony wanting to discuss points, you decide to pick it apart. Next time, ask questions first before chopping my head off, give me a chance to answer. Kind of hard to respond with no head!!
  • Options
    I knew I should have just ignored this post from the start. You wrote a controversial post. It created controversy. Somehow, we all act surprised.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I like AJ products and apparently so do millions of others out there. 'Nuff said for me :)
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    I knew I should have just ignored this post from the start. You wrote a controversial post. It created controversy. Somehow, we all act surprised.
    LOL, it created a discussion and thats all. I understand I may not be the most popular guy for a while, but at the end of the day, you liking AJ cigars is no different then me not liking them.
  • Options
    lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
    I think reading 8 pages of anything in one sitting sucks! LOL......Maybe I just need a cigar and some new contact lenses............. ;-)
  • Options
    Smokindaddy:
    SleevePlz:
    LOL, it created a discussion and thats all. I understand I may not be the most popular guy for a while, but at the end of the day, you liking AJ cigars is no different then me not liking them.
    I never said I like AJ's cigars. Stop putting words in my mouth now! Lol. I actually do find them a little overrated, but I do enjoy a couple of them from time to time. I'm actually much like you. I only get to smoke a couple times a week. So when I do, I don't tend to smoke the everyday-type/yardgar. How about we let this one go and you just send your address to me. I promise I won't send very many AJ sticks.
  • Options
    I think I am going to smoke a AAA tonight. LOL
  • Options
    bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    Smokindaddy:
    SleevePlz:
    Were you ever popular? I don't recal you ever being the prom queen or anything.
    Jason maybe this is you in 30 years?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmannAYiwh0
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    catfishbluezz:
    Vulchor:
    Beat.....you might be getting a little bent out of shape over a guys opinion man, and someone loves a hobby may be different to another-----just sayin
    Jiunn's hobby involves pooping
    not to be TMI but I called sick into work today b/c I am incredibly constipated... started yesterday afternoon and I would say after that avo I just had, I feel a bit better
    One word Jiuly..stool softeners....need some??
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    Smokindaddy:
    SleevePlz:
    I never said I like AJ's cigars. Stop putting words in my mouth now! Lol. I actually do find them a little overrated, but I do enjoy a couple of them from time to time. I'm actually much like you. I only get to smoke a couple times a week. So when I do, I don't tend to smoke the everyday-type/yardgar. How about we let this one go and you just send your address to me. I promise I won't send very many AJ sticks.
    Oh no!!! I may be unpopular, but Im no dummy. I have seen what you have been doing to people's addys lately. lol
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    jliu:
    catfishbluezz:
    Vulchor:
    Beat.....you might be getting a little bent out of shape over a guys opinion man, and someone loves a hobby may be different to another-----just sayin
    Jiunn's hobby involves pooping
    not to be TMI but I called sick into work today b/c I am incredibly constipated... started yesterday afternoon and I would say after that avo I just had, I feel a bit better
    One word Jiuly..stool softeners....need some??
    no sir! i refuse sir! i think you're great jason
  • Options
    bigfnsteve:
    Smokindaddy:
    SleevePlz:
    Were you ever popular? I don't recal you ever being the prom queen or anything.
    Jason maybe this is you in 30 years?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmannAYiwh0
    Steve, I'll have you know, I was Mr. Sack of Potatos 4 years in a row, thank you very much!!!

Thats for sure me in 30 years, Im going to need a good driver, hmmmmm, what are you doing in about 30 years? lol