Home Non Cigar Related
Options

what did you drink today ?

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Four Roses Small Batch

Nose: The nose is heavy with vanilla which mainly dominates up front, but slowly notes of spice and sweet corn filter in with toffee and leather and char.

Palate: Right off the bat you get a hint of the rye spice and start expecting it to build but it doesn't and just starts to fade into the background while the vanilla and sweet corn to a slow building burn that never gets harsh and is quite subdued and long. The vanilla which was so strong on the nose makes its debut here too but comes out strongest on the finish with some char and oak with a caramelized sugar finish. Terrific bourbon and is impossible to beat for the price!

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale-- love this stuff
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale-- love this stuff
    Thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Nice Gray. Love those big cubes, they make a big difference!
  • Options
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    Nice Gray. Love those big cubes, they make a big difference!
    Yeah, they really do! Love the big cubes (spheres).
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    I'm so lost with all the four roses small batch, single barrel, cask strengths... does each expression have a barrel strength bottling?
  • Options
    I know they offer a private barrel program and I think that comes in at barrel proof. That's available to restaurants, liquor stores, etc. On top of that they have had 2 limited edition releases the last few years both at barrel proof. One was a LE single barrel and the other was a LE Small Batch which is what I was drinking. They discontinued the LE single barrel this year. I think this is accurate information but it's very possible they offer more barrel proof bottles. Even so, their barrel proof is pretty low and I believe usually clocks in around 108-111 proof.

In my opinion this is part of the problem with Four Roses, it's too confusing for most people. I read as much about bourbon as probably anyone and I have a hard time rembering all the different variations of their bottles. I think it would be a lot easier if each variation had a different color label and was more descriptive than just OESK or OBSV, etc. Just my opinion, what do I know...
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    D Fresh:
    I'm so lost with all the four roses small batch, single barrel, cask strengths... does each expression have a barrel strength bottling?
    Awesome choice Doug, man that looks good yummmmmmmy!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    I like my hips, I realllly like my IPA's and I do a lot of them as in 95/100 times I drink I do some type of IPA or hopped beer.... This though is in a class of its own. Dead nuts serious when I took the first drink I said out loud "Fvck me running sideways Matilda, that's a damn good beer!" Will be picking this up again and again and again, it's also one of the single best noses I've ever had on a beer. Complicated citrus, floral and clove with a touch of fresh bread. Wow.

• Options
    90+ Irishman:
    I like my hips, I realllly like my IPA's and I do a lot of them as in 95/100 times I drink I do some type of IPA or hopped beer.... This though is in a class of its own. Dead nuts serious when I took the first drink I said out loud "Fvck me running sideways Matilda, that's a damn good beer!" Will be picking this up again and again and again, it's also one of the single best noses I've ever had on a beer. Complicated citrus, floral and clove with a touch of fresh bread. Wow.

You probably shouldn't drink too much beer then...
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:

You probably shouldn't drink too much beer then...
    BWAHAHAHAHA wow, yeah autocorrect doesn't like the word hops apparently, it's not a real word according to my iPad wow.
  • Options
  • Options
    W.L. Weller 12 Year, thanks Walt this was masterful!

Nose: This is such a heady aroma, I could easily just nose this all night it is so rich and unique. Licorice and cherry with corn and oats with a touch of oaken spice. Superb!

Palate: The oak is heavy and noticeable throughout but it is so smooth with warming spice and honey that builds to a solid and clean burn. It's a bit thinner which I tend to get it wheated bourbons but it tastes so clean and smooth. The finish is rather long and has some citrus on it with caramel and a hint of that licorice in the nose. A wonderful and delicious aged bourbon that is a real treat! Thanks Walt for sending me this I absolutely love it!!! About 30 min in I put about 4 drops of distilled water in it and it completely changed it adding in quite a bit of spice and really brings out the sweetness and much heavier tones of caramel and vanilla, made it even better as it were!

• Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Lovely review! Always enjoy reading your reviews.
  • Options
    Thanks Walt it was a remarkable drink and felt like it wrote itself :)
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    Thanks Walt it was a remarkable drink and felt like it wrote itself :)
    Sounds great!
  • Options
    Since Elijah Craig Barrel Proof release 7 is just around the corner, figured I would drink some of the 5th release.
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    Since Elijah Craig Barrel Proof release 7 is just around the corner, figured I would drink some of the 5th release.
    Awesome choice brother, and very neat picture as well :) Hope you can snag a bottle of this years release!
  • Options
    Had some of the Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Proof, just as amazing as the first pour I had and terrific cigar to pair it with, its was good night :)

• Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Had some of the Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Proof, just as amazing as the first pour I had and terrific cigar to pair it with, its was good night :)

why does the cigar look like you clipped the foot? Who's been teaching you Sir?
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    90+ Irishman:

why does the cigar look like you clipped the foot? Who's been teaching you Sir?
    Hahaha no didn't clip the foot at all, the pic is just deceiving based on the angle. Terrific smoke and dram though wow!
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Little Grand-Dad to warm up after a cold day.
    photo 89B98176-63F2-43F5-A791-9AE81BB553AD_zpsbycdhr0q.jpg
  • Options
    amz1301:
    How do you like it Andy, haven't tried this one. Anything you could compare it to etc?
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    90+ Irishman:
    amz1301:
    How do you like it Andy, haven't tried this one. Anything you could compare it to etc?
    Drank it neat. Very powerful. Very spicy, lotta heat, dry finish. Think I like it better with a couple cubes.
  • Options
    amz1301:
    90+ Irishman:
    amz1301:
    Drank it neat. Very powerful. Very spicy, lotta heat, dry finish. Think I like it better with a couple cubes.
    Sounds like I would too but also sounds like a good budget bottle to have in the rotation. Thanks for the info Andy will check this out.
  • Options
    Started off with this one..... Really really liking this, it's also changed dramatically after being opened and having the the bottle breath a bit just how much sweeter, smoother and more complex this became. If I can find it for anything significantly less than $30 I will be buying this bottle every time.

After I wrapped up the 1792 (hey it's been a rough past two days and kinda was at a sh!tty spot) I moved onto a healthy pour of the Rebel Reserve (Wheated bourbon) and much like the 1792 it's been about 3 weeks since I first opened the bottle and it has become much sweeter, fuller bodied and silkier texture. Not a ton of complexity with this one but I really am enjoying the caramel and marshmallow/vanilla that I picked up on the start and mid palate before the burn gently warms up. Shorter and drier finish but a decent one none the less.

• Options
    JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    amz1301:
    90+ Irishman:
    amz1301:
    Sounds like I would too but also sounds like a good budget bottle to have in the rotation. Thanks for the info Andy will check this out.
    Next time we trade samples brett i got you on this..
  • Options
    JHewey:
    90+ Irishman:
    amz1301:
    90+ Irishman:
    amz1301:
    Next time we trade samples brett i got you on this..
    Awesome thanks bro :)