Home Non Cigar Related
Options

what did you drink today ?

Comments

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Did a little Bourbon comparison last night. Ezra B 12 year Single Barrel vs Elmer T Lee Single Barrel. While I enjoy the Ezra, there really wasn't much comparison. The Ezra was a bit thin with green apple, some light brown sugar and a touch of maple, creamed corn, rye spice, pepper and some bite on the finish. The Elmer was thick with brown sugar, maple, plum, spice, hints of green apple and a softer finish. This was a nice, winter Bourbon.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will always have a bottle of this in the bar, hands down best I have found under $30 so far, mmmmmm love it.

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, this stuff has a kick. image
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Nice. That's one of the two tastes I picked out at the distillery a couple weeks ago. It certainly had a bite to it! Didn't help though that it was my first taste of the day at about 9:30 AM haha
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    Gray4lines:
    Nice. That's one of the two tastes I picked out at the distillery a couple weeks ago. It certainly had a bite to it! Didn't help though that it was my first taste of the day at about 9:30 AM haha
    Damn, at 9:30 you might as well just go back to bed!
  • Options
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    I fvcking love this pour... I still believe that this holds its own with anything $30 or under, great choice Doug! Btw you will notice as you get a bit more air in the bottle and it has a few weeks to open up that the sweetness and mid palate complexity is going to dramatically increase.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Had this last night, down to my second to last pour of this guy and wish it was a bit easier to locate these bottles right now but they are off the shelves damn near everywhere you look! Great stuff and really enjoy this Old Weller Antique 107!

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talking to my guy at Vine Roads liquor and he tells me that half of the distillers batch goes to Weller and half goes to Pappy. I did not know this.
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    Talking to my guy at Vine Roads liquor and he tells me that half of the distillers batch goes to Weller and half goes to Pappy. I did not know this.
    From what I understand it's the same or at least very very similar mash bill for them.
  • Options
    Huge shout out to Gray for giving me the ability to try this! Willett Pot Still Reserve, very nice and quite enjoying this :) Here's my little write up on it...

Nose: The nose on this one is very light and thin, minor notes of hay and toffee with mild oak. It's elegant and refined is probably the best way to describe this.

Palate: The first splash of this as it dances across my palate is very light and very unique. Instead of the syrupy and dark notes I'm accustomed to with many of my favorite bourbons this is remarkably refined and light in body and a bit thin. However it is not hot at all which I tend to get with thinner bourbons so this is a nice change! A drier honey and hay note starts up front and then fades to the mid palate which is heavy in oak and malt which a touch of marzipan coming in on the finish. The finish is a bit of a shorter dry finish but it is quite nice all the same with a building warmth and burn that is satisfying but not harsh at all. Initially there wasn't a ton of sweetness that was evident but if you allow it to open up for 20 min or longer then sweetness does become evident and a bit more complexity shows up especially on the forefront when the bourbon first passes over your tongue. I really really enjoy this, thank you Gray!!!

• Options
    90+ Irishman:
    Huge shout out to Gray for giving me the ability to try this! Willett Pot Still Reserve, very nice and quite enjoying this :) Here's my little write up on it...

Nose: The nose on this one is very light and thin, minor notes of hay and toffee with mild oak. It's elegant and refined is probably the best way to describe this.

Palate: The first splash of this as it dances across my palate is very light and very unique. Instead of the syrupy and dark notes I'm accustomed to with many of my favorite bourbons this is remarkably refined and light in body and a bit thin. However it is not hot at all which I tend to get with thinner bourbons so this is a nice change! A drier honey and hay note starts up front and then fades to the mid palate which is heavy in oak and malt which a touch of marzipan coming in on the finish. The finish is a bit of a shorter dry finish but it is quite nice all the same with a building warmth and burn that is satisfying but not harsh at all. Initially there wasn't a ton of sweetness that was evident but if you allow it to open up for 20 min or longer then sweetness does become evident and a bit more complexity shows up especially on the forefront when the bourbon first passes over your tongue. I really really enjoy this, thank you Gray!!!

You nailed it. The Willett pot still is definitely a different kind of bourbon, or at least different from many others that I have. Light and refined is a very good way of putting it. Glad you got to try and liked it.

is that the slide of a handgun snuck in the pic? Lol!
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:

You nailed it. The Willett pot still is definitely a different kind of bourbon, or at least different from many others that I have. Light and refined is a very good way of putting it. Glad you got to try and liked it.

Pretty soon there's going to be a "what firearm did you get today LOL
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:

Lmao no no not going to make a thread like that and yes that is what's snuck in there, just liked how that looked in contrast and thought it was a cool pic is all. And thanks Gray I really did enjoy it, by the end I figured out the best way I could describe it that I couldn't quite put my finger on... It was also like a cross between a bourbon and a scotch... It had characteristics of both for my palate.
  • Options
    Thanks to my wide for an early bday valentine's present! image
  • Options
    Pretty damn awesome pour ain't it?
  • Options
    Yes! I usually do neat, but barrel proof goes well on ice. Lots going on. This one's OESV.
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    Lmao no no not going to make a thread like that and yes that is what's snuck in there, just liked how that looked in contrast and thought it was a cool pic is all.
    Why not?! Yes very cool.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Thanks to my wide for an early bday valentine's present! image
    Awesome present! Looks good!
  • Options
  • Options
    Huge shout out to Stubble Steve for this terrific dram!

Nose: Spicy. That's the first thought I get when I nose this, a delicious high rye spice on the nose with vanilla and a mild but aromatic oak and anise.... Can't wait to try this!

Palate: Wow.... Very big and very sweet and very spicy holy cats! A bit thin on the finish and a little hot but I tend to get that on the very first pour from most any bottles. Some dried grassy notes are there on the finish along with oak and vanilla. This is a big monster, neat it actually reminds me a bit of the Stagg Jr. with just how powerful this one is. The sweetness and spicy rye are the biggest notes on the front that leads into a big warming burn and the finish. I added just a splash of distilled water and let it breath. This instantly transformed into being very very smooth with the sweetness being more prevalent on the open and the oak and some marzipan are now showing up. I really like this and think after 2-3 weeks of the bottle being cracked this will be much sweeter and clean up the dried hay note that I still taste a bit of. Overall currently 3.5/5 but it's knocking on the door to 4+ already and is nearly guarantee that the very next poor will be extraordinary! Thanks a TON to my brother Steve for sending me this, terrific bourbon really digging it a ton already!!!
  • Options
    Amazing pours lately Gang, Gray and Doug those are some excellent drams for sure!!
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you like it Brett!!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    BOOZE!!!!! Seriously I'm 3 or 4 drinks in on some Canadian LTD which tastes like cheap Crown Royal when mixed, no drams of Talisker or Glenfiddich or wee pours of Four Roses for me tonight just good old fashioned cheap Canadian whisky
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Just dropped the kiddies off at the grandparents. Starting the night off with a little caffeine boost. Iced Irish Coffee. Ice, double shot espresso, 2oz Baileys, 1oz Jameson, top shaker with milk, shake lightly.
    photo BD15DFA1-11BF-4A89-B749-CC3966324B7A_zpst438ww2a.jpg
  • Options
    Awesome Andy that looks delish!!!
  • Options
    amz1301:
    Just dropped the kiddies off at the grandparents. Starting the night off with a little caffeine boost. Iced Irish Coffee. Ice, double shot espresso, 2oz Baileys, 1oz Jameson, top shaker with milk, shake lightly.
    photo BD15DFA1-11BF-4A89-B749-CC3966324B7A_zpst438ww2a.jpg
    Not much of a coffee person but that looks and sounds delicious.
  • Options
    A little bit of catchup....

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Had an amazing night of drinks last night out to dinner with my wife and a couple we're good friends with. We went to a great craft beer and whiskey bar, which to our surprise had a tap take-over night by both Port Brewing and Lost Abbey. I'd tried a beer by LA before and it was heavier than I was going for, so I went with a Port flight to start. That included Wipeout, Mongo, Santa's Little Helper, and Old Viscocity. All great beers, but I'd heard good things about OV and it didn't disappoint at all, fantastic! Then something caught my eye on the menu - a beer with BRETT! Allagash Midnight Brett. One of the best beers I've ever had, definitely the best sour beer I've ever had by leaps and bounds. To end is all we had a flight of Bourbons: Breckenridge Special Release, Berkshire, and Smooth Ambler "Yearling." I hadn't tried any before and all were steller. The Yearling was particularly impressive, smelling very strongly of alcohol but then tasting incredibly smooth and complex. The Breckenridge was a very rye-forward bourbon which I enjoyed a lot as well. Overall fantastic night, and I'm not nearly as hung over as I imagined I would be!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭