Home Non Cigar Related
Options

what did you drink today ?

Comments

• Options
    CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Monkey Shoulder Blended Scotch

This is the first pour from this bottle, cracked her open and poured a dram then gave it over an hour to open up and breath before nosing or tasting. Thank you to my friend Scott (Crousefer) for sending me this as a gift and having the chance to try this!!

Nose: As with most scotches this is a peat forward nose that has that classic note and a bit of that sour hint to it. That being said hiding out in the background like a sly stealth ninja I do pick up hints of citrus zest, vanilla oak and a touch of a meaty tone that I can't quite nail down. It's a very smooth nose overall and much lighter and more toned down than I expected, but being that this is a blended scotch I can see where it's a bit smoother and easier to drink than some single malts. Can't wait to dig in!

Palate: This is a surprisingly sweet whiskey right off the bat and that is absolutely what I notice first as well as just how damn smooth it is and easy to sip on. I keep waiting for the smoky peat to come flying out of nowhere with a judo chop to the dome, but that never happens. About mid palate the peat starts to finally show up but it's gradual and subdued in its approach. The citrus is bright and up front but quickly gives way to the oak and vanilla before shifting to that mid palate note of the smoky peat. What surprises me the most however is that I am reminded heavily of some bourbons, specifically the Willett Pot Still and Willett XCF in terms of it being lighter and brighter without that syrupy rich and thick bourbon note. The burn shows up towards the end of the mid palate and starts off very gently and only building to mild levels with a long a drawn out oak and vanilla finish which is remarkably good! Blended scotches are known for their smoothness and drinkability and I am definitely a fan of my stand by Chivas, but here and now I can say that I would probably reach for the Monkey Shoulder more often than not now, this is a great blended scotch and the vanilla and oak tones as well as that bourbon reminiscence is delicious and I really like it!! 4/5 stars for a blended scotch offering for sure, thank you Scott!!!!
    Awesome review man! im def glad you enjoyed it. It has become a staple in my short lived dark liquor love. Enjoy it my friend.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manhattan with Russell's reserve 6 yr rye, Woodford cherry bitters, Angostura bitters, and Dolin Vermouth. Mmmm! image
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had my first pour of the Sazerac two nights ago and it was terrific... Orange, vanilla, oak and rye spice but still was surprisingly smooth very glad I got a bottle of it!!!

Then last night I did a rather large pour of my go to 1792 after a really difficult and emotional day. Solid and delish bourbon and exactly what I needed and wanted.

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Drink up brotherman
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weller.
  • Options

Makers Mark Ambassador Program Bottling 10 year Single Barrel

My good buddy Doug sent me this as a gift, his friend had gifted him a bottle to pass onto me so I also want to thank Aaron Berg for this as well. I am under the impression currently that this is a 10 year single barrel expression, can't wait to see what it's like!

Nose: First off this is the first pour of this from this bottle and I cracked it and poured it then just let it sit and breath undisturbed for about 1.5 hours before I sampled this at all. The nose is very clean on it and a bit light, but I do get honey and vanilla as well as the classic corn sweetness. It's a very enjoyable nose and something that I could smell and drink for hours easily. There is also some marzipan and oak that filters in and mixes very well with the corn notes... Very nice and no burn at all when nosing from my Glencairn glass.

Palate: There is quite a nice edge of corn sweetness which is the first thing I notice as it hits my tongue but that quickly evolved on the mid palate to some nice warming spice and a fairly heavy oak influence with just a hint of caramel. The finish sees a building of a gentle burn that never gets harsh and lingers nicely. I also pick up some grain influences and char on the finish that really helped to round this out a bit more. Sadly I don't taste the marzipan that I picked up in the nose but I get just the faintest whisper of some marshmallow that helps to bring an interesting note and complexity that I would love to see more of as the bottle continues to open up. Overall a very solid pour and very easy drinkability but not overly complex. 3/5 stars and very nice to enjoy, thanks Doug and Aaron!!!!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:

My good buddy Doug sent me this as a gift, his friend had gifted him a bottle to pass onto me so I also want to thank Aaron Berg for this as well. I am under the impression currently that this is a 10 year single barrel expression, can't wait to see what it's like!

Nose: First off this is the first pour of this from this bottle and I cracked it and poured it then just let it sit and breath undisturbed for about 1.5 hours before I sampled this at all. The nose is very clean on it and a bit light, but I do get honey and vanilla as well as the classic corn sweetness. It's a very enjoyable nose and something that I could smell and drink for hours easily. There is also some marzipan and oak that filters in and mixes very well with the corn notes... Very nice and no burn at all when nosing from my Glencairn glass.

Palate: There is quite a nice edge of corn sweetness which is the first thing I notice as it hits my tongue but that quickly evolved on the mid palate to some nice warming spice and a fairly heavy oak influence with just a hint of caramel. The finish sees a building of a gentle burn that never gets harsh and lingers nicely. I also pick up some grain influences and char on the finish that really helped to round this out a bit more. Sadly I don't taste the marzipan that I picked up in the nose but I get just the faintest whisper of some marshmallow that helps to bring an interesting note and complexity that I would love to see more of as the bottle continues to open up. Overall a very solid pour and very easy drinkability but not overly complex. 3/5 stars and very nice to enjoy, thanks Doug and Aaron!!!!
    Cool! Sounds very similar to standard MM but with some more depth. I signed up for that program too, haha so in a few (many) years I can grab a bottle or 2!
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:

Cool! Sounds very similar to standard MM but with some more depth. I signed up for that program too, haha so in a few (many) years I can grab a bottle or 2!
    Thanks Gray and yeah I enjoyed it, haven't had the normal makers in a while but from what I remember it is very similar just more depth like you said. And sounds like a cool program congrats!
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:

Thanks Gray and yeah I enjoyed it, haven't had the normal makers in a while but from what I remember it is very similar just more depth like you said. And sounds like a cool program congrats!
    Just give em your email! Lol! And wait 7 or so years. not too exclusive ;)
  • Options
    I keep reaching for this Sazerac and it keeps impressing. I'm really enjoying the rye spice and a bit more burn but it is still remarkably smooth and has the outstanding Oaked, orange vanilla tone that I love!

• Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    I keep reaching for this Sazerac and it keeps impressing. I'm really enjoying the rye spice and a bit more burn but it is still remarkably smooth and has the outstanding Oaked, orange vanilla tone that I love!

Makes me really want the Sazerac 18!
  • Options
    Posted this in the Try My Liquids Pass thread since this is where I got the sample from Gray, thanks again bro this is really good bourbon :)

90+ Irishman:
    Town Branch Bourbon 80 Proof and sample given from Gray Forlines

Nose: This is a rather unique nose that I quite like, heavy notes of licorice and anise mixed in with a bit of cherry and vanilla. There are also notes of grain and just a faint whiff of oak. I quite like this and haven't had a nose like this in any others that I've tried so far.

Palate: This is very smooth there is almost no bite or burn at all and its smooth and fades at the end like water. It's a bit thin and isn't heavy on the mouth but in this case that works for me due to how smooth and clean this is. Lemon citrus is the major note apart from the normal bourbon profile of corn and mild spice and makes this a bit more refreshing and clean and lighter bodied. The burn is very very minor as is spice but starts to build slightly by mid palate and by the finish has a steady warming effect in the background that compliments the milf oak and grain and citrus notes that linger. It's a lighter bodied and smoother bourbon that is more refreshing than rich and chewy but it does it very well and is a good balance between sweet and dry whiskey, thanks Gray this is a really good bourbon and I give it a solid 3.5/5 stars!
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:

Makes me really want the Sazerac 18!
    Me too!!!
  • Options
    Amanda wanted to pic out my dram tonight so she poured me this one and took this shot, thanks Babe :) And thank you to Ken Light too for this one, some time has calmed down the harsher young wet oak and corn heavy notes and let more of the sugar sweetness and vanilla show up.

• Options
    How much alcohol do you have bub?
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    How much alcohol do you have bub?
    Ummm I decline to answer on the grounds that I may incriminate myself as a severe alcoholic and lead to mass public humiliation. Let's just say that I have around 25-ish different bottles of whiskey varietals alone. But I am collecting and drinking. Kinda like cigars in this case... Collect, enjoy and do so over long periods of time. It's my new hobby/obsession so I am spending money on alcohol instead of cigars currently. I will post a pic of the collection later on
  • Options
    Dude!!!! I have a bottle of beer left. I bring shame to an Irish heritage lol. Time to go to the store.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    Dude!!!! I have a bottle of beer left. I bring shame to an Irish heritage lol. Time to go to the store.
    Lol sounds like a good reason to head to the store then ;)
  • Options

Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Proof Private Selection
    Aged 11 years 2 months OESF recipe
    Gifted from Jay and Tara Bohon

Nose: Man oh man this is one heavenly aroma... A cacophony of rich luxurious cascading flavors. Heavy influences of marzipan, licorice/anise, refined corn sweetness, rye spice as well as equal parts oak and salted toffee! I feel like I could get lost in this candy liquor fog, what a treat and just another remind of why Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Proof (whew that's a mouthful to say!) is some of my all time favorite bourbon!

Palate: Egads!!! That's the first thought that comes to mind and lasts there too... Such a dark syrupy and floral richness that nearly overwhelms the senses in a fog of decadence! A competition breaks out right from the start between the rye spice and the floral fruit sweetness as it hits the tip of your tongue. The burn is nearly nonexistent and starts to join in with the spice on the mid palate and grow gentle until it's a solid background player that lasts through the long and very drawn out finish. The char and grain varietals really come out in the finish in such a unique and splendid way and I get a flavor that only shows up on the very tail end and remains hauntingly throughout the finish and I can only call it a strawberry-esque flavor profile. The vanilla is a supporting undertone that is constant and pleasant helping to carry the transition from one note to the next and a deep char and oak round out the finish and support the floral and honeyed fruit perfectly. The salted toffee is certainly there but to be honest I really couldn't tell you when it shows up and when it fades away, it is very present yet elusive at the same time. I am absolutely in love with this and would rank it in a dead heat between my 10 year OESO and my bottle of Elmer T. Lee putting this at a 5/5 stars hands down without argument! Jay and Tara thank you so much, knocked it out of the park and tied for what is now my Top 3 of anything I've had so far.... Humbled and speechless by your generosity and kindness.
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    Ok here ya go, so ya asked how much I got... umm I will let the pictures stand on their own. I do need to clarify that a large part of this is due entirely to the amazing generosity, insane behavior disorders and overall nuttiness of this incredible community, thank you all!

• Options
    Copper Fiddle? I only know three of those. I have much to learn Yoda.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    Copper Fiddle? I only know three of those. I have much to learn Yoda.
    The Copper Fiddle is some Tom Gin that Patrick sent me, very excited to break into it just haven't yet decided what to use it in yet. Still reading.
  • Options
    I honestly think that my problem is that I drink too fast to collect. May drink about a bottle every 2 weeks or so. Supply doesnt keep up with demand. Lol
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    I honestly think that my problem is that I drink too fast to collect. May drink about a bottle every 2 weeks or so. Supply doesnt keep up with demand. Lol
    I pour one to two drama neat in a small whiskey glass and sip on that slowly for a few hours. So I drink often enough having one most evenings, but I don't drink in large quantities. The only exception being birthday and St. Paddys day lol. So that helps for me to not just plow through bottle after bottle. Plus I can see how they change after a few months or a year of it oxidizing and changing due to the air in the bottle changing the whiskey.
  • Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The start of my night last night. I like to do side-by-side comparisons to see what I prefer. I'm still not very good at identifying different notes, and I don't think I ever will be. I just have different degrees of like. So Brett, I compared the corked Elijah Craig to the not as well sealed decanter of Elijah Craig. You could tell by the nose that the decanter had some alcohol evaporate out. But it still smelled great. Both of them did, but the decanter version was not as harsh. Flavor wise, I preferred the tamed down decanter version. Though, keep in mind, I'm new to whiskey and still prefer my water with a little whiskey vs. whiskey with a little water. I am finding I don't like it with as much water (ice melt really, I don't add water) as I used to. If I were going in order I'd say decanter EC, bottle EC, Four Roses Small Batch, then Four Roses Single Barrel. This weekend, or maybe tonight, we'll break into the other Four Roses Single Barrel (different mashbill) and do a side-by-side of the two!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Edna20:
    The start of my night last night. I like to do side-by-side comparisons to see what I prefer. I'm still not very good at identifying different notes, and I don't think I ever will be. I just have different degrees of like. So Brett, I compared the corked Elijah Craig to the not as well sealed decanter of Elijah Craig. You could tell by the nose that the decanter had some alcohol evaporate out. But it still smelled great. Both of them did, but the decanter version was not as harsh. Flavor wise, I preferred the tamed down decanter version. Though, keep in mind, I'm new to whiskey and still prefer my water with a little whiskey vs. whiskey with a little water. I am finding I don't like it with as much water (ice melt really, I don't add water) as I used to. If I were going in order I'd say decanter EC, bottle EC, Four Roses Small Batch, then Four Roses Single Barrel. This weekend, or maybe tonight, we'll break into the other Four Roses Single Barrel (different mashbill) and do a side-by-side of the two!
    Very very cool Kelly thank you for sharing and it's interesting to hear that there was a noticeable change between the EC bottle and EC decanter! Would love to read your thoughts on the side by side Four Roses single barrel! Enjoying thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AMZ posted a pic a while back of his Irish Coffee, been wanting one ever since! Man, these go down way too smooth!!

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    Stubble:
    AMZ posted a pic a while back of his Irish Coffee, been wanting one ever since! Man, these go down way too smooth!!

that looks oustanding great choice :)