what did you drink today ?

Comments

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108.2 Proof
    Batch WT-03RB

Nose: This has got to be right up there with one of the best noses I've found in quite a while and it is remarkably layered and deep with a nice spice that isn't overpowering but does come right out and greet you! I pick up as I said earlier quite a bit of rye grain spice as well as citrus, molasses and vanilla! In the background however is when I find the unique notes that I haven't found in most other whiskies, and that would be some chocolate hints as well as some cherry and plum, love it!!!!

Palate: I will say at the start that I've had a couple pours of this so far before sitting down on this occasion to do a legitimate write up. That being said holy cats do I love this bourbon! It starts off spicy and sweet just like the nose would lead you to believe, vanilla, caramel, grain spice and dark chewy fruits explode on the tongue coating your palate with a sweet and spicy flavor explosion that builds effortlessly into a moderate but great burn as it hits the mid palate. Vanilla and brown sugar are balanced out wonderfully by the spice and the burn that starts to show up and gradually but continuously builds through the finish which lasts for several minutes! On the finish I pick up tones of a fragrant dry oak, some leather and a malty hint of chocolate mixed with a good char and just a whisper of some type of citrus. Overall this already has become one of my favs and I will always have it stocked in the house and is currently my go to everyday barrel proof pour, 4.5-5/5 stars honestly!

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    Nice JD :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Ron Zacapa Centario 23. I just now got into drinking rum. It was really good and extremely smooth.
  • Options
    Thanatos0320:
    Ron Zacapa Centario 23. I just now got into drinking rum. It was really good and extremely smooth.
    Hey James man it's good to see you! How's the family and little one? Nice choice and grab on the Zacapa that's great stuff ;)
  • Options
    Had two last night started with the Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit and man it has only gotten smoother and along with the Rare Breed, Elmer T. Lee, Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Proof and WL Weller 12 year are my true favorites so far. Wrapped up with a pour of the Henry McKenna and man it has smoothed out a lot as well and isn't quite as dry and peppery turned REALLLY nice!

• Options
    90+ Irishman:
    Met up with Brett last night for an impromptu Herf and had two beauties that you had sent me nearly 2 years back, haven't had an Ashton VSG enchantment in some time and my first ever Julius Ceaser from Diamond Crown, both were outstanding and the JC really surprised me thank you!! Paired with some Hwnry McKenna 10 year bottled in bond Single Barrel, terrific!

• Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Fosters Oil Can.
  • Options
    Playing a little catch up here, haven't been on Ccom for four or five days due to work, moving/redecorating our place and being sick the whole process too lol. Here's what has been consumed over the past week...

• Options
    Last night brilliant pairing!

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Vinny's pass... wow! Good stuff.image
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Woodford Reserve Bourbon.
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    Woodford Reserve Bourbon.
    Good choice!
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Smashing some four roses right now.
  • Options
    Made a Manhattan for the Mrs. Irish last night and I had a pour of Rebel Yell bourbon and then a pour of Monkey Shoulder blended scotch courtesy of Scott Crousefer thanks man rocking! Sorry no pics this time.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Made a Manhattan for the Mrs. Irish last night and I had a pour of Rebel Yell bourbon and then a pour of Monkey Shoulder blended scotch courtesy of Scott Crousefer thanks man rocking! Sorry no pics this time.
    What did you think of the Rebel Yell? I've tried Rebel Yell because I read up on "wheated" bourbons and it's pretty OK IMHO. Especially for the price. But, the new bottle design is a real head scratcher for me. It's a tall skinny bottle, very easy to tip over but, it's turned out to be functional for me in one respect. I keep my booze in a top cabinet and the Rebel Yell is easy to grab from the back of the crowd and easy to put back too.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    90+ Irishman:
    What did you think of the Rebel Yell? I've tried Rebel Yell because I read up on "wheated" bourbons and it's pretty OK IMHO. Especially for the price. But, the new bottle design is a real head scratcher for me. It's a tall skinny bottle, very easy to tip over but, it's turned out to be functional for me in one respect. I keep my booze in a top cabinet and the Rebel Yell is easy to grab from the back of the crowd and easy to put back too.
    I agree with all the points you made there Bob, for the very low price point I think it is remarkably good. I personally drink everything neat unless I do a mixed drink which is maybe once a month tops for me, though I make one or two a week for the missus. I tried the Rebel Yell neat last night and it was a very easy very mild sipper and was surprisingly smooth. The only downside is that meat there isn't much character to it and after drinking so many 100-140 proof whiskies lately I have to say it felt really week and almost watered down but I think that's simply due to exposure of so many high proof whiskies as of late. The bottle design is a bit odd but it does work perfectly to store in my wine tower where I keep about half my hooch.
  • Options
    Hey Brett... would you go wild turkey KY spirit or Rare Breed? I have really liked the wild turkey stuff I've had and almost got the KY spirit... but then saw your review on rare breed.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Hey Brett... would you go wild turkey KY spirit or Rare Breed? I have really liked the wild turkey stuff I've had and almost got the KY spirit... but then saw your review on rare breed.
    Oh man that is a tough one, as silly as it sounds that may be one of the toughest whiskey questions I have bee asked lately. My answer would depend on the purpose of the whiskey though.....

If I was going for a daily drinker, something that I could put away with regularity and sip on night after night I would go with the Rare Breed, its about $5-$10 less than the Spirit often times, and Rare Breed has more kick as well as a bit deeper sweeter spicy and savory flavors to it and its a bit fuller bodied.

However, if I was buying because I wanted something to hang onto and drink on for special occasions then I would go with the Kentucky Spirit. It is a bit more refined than the Rare Breed, a bit lighter bodied though that isn't to say that it is a light bodied whiskey, just lighter than the Rare Breed. The Spirit is a bit more complex, a bit more refined, and a bit brighter and clearer flavors that just seem a bit more.... I dunno, special maybe?

Hope that helps Gray, no matter what you choose as long as you like bold and spicy/sweet bourbon you will love either, they are fast becoming some of my more favored go to drinks along with Four Roses products and Buffalo Trace, I would put all three neck and neck for me. - Brett
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    Oh man that is a tough one, as silly as it sounds that may be one of the toughest whiskey questions I have bee asked lately. My answer would depend on the purpose of the whiskey though.....

If I was going for a daily drinker, something that I could put away with regularity and sip on night after night I would go with the Rare Breed, its about $5-$10 less than the Spirit often times, and Rare Breed has more kick as well as a bit deeper sweeter spicy and savory flavors to it and its a bit fuller bodied.

However, if I was buying because I wanted something to hang onto and drink on for special occasions then I would go with the Kentucky Spirit. It is a bit more refined than the Rare Breed, a bit lighter bodied though that isn't to say that it is a light bodied whiskey, just lighter than the Rare Breed. The Spirit is a bit more complex, a bit more refined, and a bit brighter and clearer flavors that just seem a bit more.... I dunno, special maybe?

Hope that helps Gray, no matter what you choose as long as you like bold and spicy/sweet bourbon you will love either, they are fast becoming some of my more favored go to drinks along with Four Roses products and Buffalo Trace, I would put all three neck and neck for me. - Brett
    That's perfect... I love four roses and buffalo trace... rare breed sounds like exactly what I need! maybe I'll try and grab one soon.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:

That's perfect... I love four roses and buffalo trace... rare breed sounds like exactly what I need! maybe I'll try and grab one soon.
    Glad to help and hope you enjoy!
  • Options
    Thanks to Gray for getting this on my mind tonight, so so good easily a 4.5/5 for me!

• Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:

If you like four roses and buffalo trace...then you will def enjoy the rare breed. Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek is two more you might check out, if you haven't already. I love KY...so many options for bourbon.
  • Options
    CvilleE:
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:

If you like four roses and buffalo trace...then you will def enjoy the rare breed. Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek is two more you might check out, if you haven't already. I love KY...so many options for bourbon.
    Woodford was my first bourbon, and I still love it. I have the knob creek rye and single barrel, which both great. Yes, I have very much enjoyed being in bourbon country!
  • Options
    Later on I am going to hit the Woodford, it is a very good bourbon. I hope the purests forgive me but I add flavorless seltzer, because it seems to open up the flavors and nose and I can appreciate that. I started using good seltzer with good scotch years ago and I continue to do so. Now I am on the lookout for an Ice Ball (thank you edna) maker.
  • Options
    Had the Jefferson Rye with my MoW PA last night then finished off the night with a little Rebwl Reswrvw Small Batch wheated bourbon.

• Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    40 ounces of Cherry Coke, Cruzan rum style.....................
  • Options
    bandyt09:
    40 ounces of Cherry Coke, Cruzan rum style.....................
    Very nice Todd ;)
  • Options
    Preface: I’ve recently been asked by a few people to contribute to some reviews so this will be my first one with that in mind. For reference I always pour my whiskey neat in a Glencairn glass (or a shaped flute glass) and then let it stand and breath to open up for a minimum of 1 hr if not longer. I do this for any and all whiskies even the “cheap” or “budget” ones, its just my way of keeping things as fair as possible and an attempt to remove a few variables.

Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Proof
    OESO Recipe aged 10 years
    Bottle was procured in January 2015 and has been open since then and is roughly 3/4 full

Nose: I have to say that the nose on any of the Four Roses Single Barrels I have come across are always some of my favorite and easily half of the story for why I love these so much. Rich and decadent with a bit of spice and burn through the nose but always smells intoxicating to me… I could easily just nose this for an hour or two and be perfectly content. That being said, on this one I am picking up notes of anise with a base of mild banana with a hefty dose of rye grain spices and some aromatic and floral oak and bouquet.

Color: First off an important note, I am color blind which means the colors I see are not necessarily the colors that everyone else sees, so this one may be a bit off from what others have reported haha. That being said this has a beautiful ruby red tone that shows through the base of deep mature oak.

Palate: Right off the bat my palate is assaulted with luscious and chewy dark fruits with really strong tones of black cherry crossed with salted caramel… it is really unique and extremely satisfying. A smoky char is picked up next while the dark fruits and salty caramel are still mingling which add a depth and balance that works perfectly here. As the next tones show up I pick up some of the anise and fruit tones that were in the nose which is also when the burn shows up, now at 114 proof there is a bit of heat to it but it is remarkably smooth and the burn is long and drawn out just like I like it! The finish shows up which is a very long one filled with a heavy char laced with oak and rounded out with a hint of black licorice and cherry. All in all this one finished up at a world class 4.5/5 stars for me.

Hope y’all enjoyed and thanks for reading!
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Just got off the ship and having some generous pours of Elijah Craig 12. This is fast becoming my everyday bourbon because (IMHO) you can't beat the value of $23 for a 12 year aged flavorful bourbon such as this.