Home Non Cigar Related
Options

what did you drink today ?

Comments

• Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    I love this thread and have enjoyed posting here and will continue to do so but...I'm so f'n sick of winter and this frigid cold weather. All I wanted today was to be able to step outside with some bourbon and a cigar but the temperature is in the teens. Sorry for the rant...here's what I'm drinking
  • Options
    JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My buddy brought over some E.H Taylor and it was great! Made by buffalo trace it reminded me of Eagle Rare but a lot more refined and smooth. Great stuff
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    So far two mugs of coffee, my 44oz cup of water, 8 cups of water or so while working, a Rockstar energy drink on my break, 3 more cups of water, and now a blue moon to start my night
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JHewey:
    That was the Ridgemont Reserve 1792, glad you liked it as much as I do :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    My buddy brought over some E.H Taylor and it was great! Made by buffalo trace it reminded me of Eagle Rare but a lot more refined and smooth. Great stuff
    Outstanding this is one I have been very interested in and this makes me even more intersted now!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    Outstanding this is one I have been very interested in and this makes me even more intersted now!
    Small batch, single barrel, or barrel proof ?
  • Options
    amz1301:
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    Small batch, single barrel, or barrel proof ?
    I had the Small Batch. I've heard the barrel proof is good
  • Options
    Tremendous for the value. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    D Fresh:
    Read good reviews on that one. Don't think they distribute that one to MD though. Caff
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    Wish they distributed out here in CO, would love to pick up a bottle of something like this that is reasonably priced but very solid. Could drink neat, with ice or mix it and wouldn't feel guilty for doing any of those.
  • Options
    Made a couple Old Fashioned's last night. First one was for the missus, she wanted it sweeter so I did three sugar cubes and a few extra dashes of the normal bitters with half a lemon rind that I muddled the **** outta lol. Then mine I did with just one sugar cube, could dashes of Peychaud's bitters and two small bits of lemon rind and muddled. Both were good but I loved the one I made better, the Peychaud's clove character was terrific and I suspect I will be reaching to that one more often than not! And thanks a ton for the badazz glasses Doug, got to use one for the first time last night!!

Amanda's

Mine (both made with Rebel Reserve wheated bourbon)

• Options
    JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    D Fresh:
    I have read nothing but good things. Wish I could find it here in Pa.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Cool pic Gray and that looks like a Helluva great Manhattan bro nice choice and hope the cigar was good too!
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    Man I wish I could find another bottle of this! I am down to my last pour or two and can't find it on shelves for months now.
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    Cool pic Gray and that looks like a Helluva great Manhattan bro nice choice and hope the cigar was good too!
    I hadnt made any for a while, but I was out recently and had a 4 roses Manhattan and it was awesome. I asked for it served up, but got it over ice anyway and I liked it a lot. So now, over ice it is. I don't have fancy cherries or anything, but they are tasting pretty good!
  • Options
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    VERY cool pic, love that one! And thats a great dram too ;)
  • Options
    Doing a special pour for my son Cael turning 2. Had a lot of fun playing in the bunches of snow today with him and the Mrs. Irish and after getting the big man down for bed tonight I decided to pour a heavy dram of my all time fav bourbon so far. Haven't had a good chance to sit down and have a special dram for his bday until tonight so poured my all time fav one that I have yet had which is the Four Roses Single Barrel Cask Strength 10 year OESO recipe.

Nose: The rye spice and Marzipan is heavy on this one as is the syrupy sweetness and a mango tropical fruit tone that is outstanding! Time has not hurt this nose in any way.

Palate: This is a pretty heavy spice bourbon which is part of why I enjoy it so much! Starts off with the rye spice up front and also bright tones of marzipan but quickly opens up to the mango/tropical fruit notes. The mid palate starts out with the caramel and fruit tones with the warming burn starting to heat up a bit hear which makes sense at a barrel strength offering but is so smooth and so rich. This velvety heavy syrup mouthfeel is there along with a fair amount of fruit and sweetness and equal measures of spice and vanilla, such a rich and robust experience which is honestly just like the boy who's birthday I am celebrating with this pour. My son is a big boy and very strong and self assured but is also very kind and sweet... A perfect analogy to this bourbon and also my fav! Love you son happy 2nd Birthday ;)5/5 Stars hands down!

• Options
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Got it a while ago, but finally getting the chance to sit down with a bit of King's County moonshine. Damn, this is good. Bites like a pit bull and warms all the way down, but there's so much flavor to go with it, I'm bad with flavors but I taste a lot of grainy goodness and, just like with jd unaged rye, sort of a berry flavor to it.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evan Williams and Coke, it's what's for dinner.................................I hate Mondays, in fact, I hate most days that end in Y.....................................................
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Got it a while ago, but finally getting the chance to sit down with a bit of King's County moonshine. Damn, this is good. Bites like a pit bull and warms all the way down, but there's so much flavor to go with it, I'm bad with flavors but I taste a lot of grainy goodness and, just like with jd unaged rye, sort of a berry flavor to it.

Is that Legal or Homebrewed? I tried some over the summer from West Virginia in a mason jar with a duct tape label. Just like you said, you could feel it burn all the way down but there was a ton of great taste.
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Glock1975:
    You gotta try the Sawtooth Nitro its killer just like that Milk Stout. Let me know if you need me to ship some out to ya.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    Ken Light:

Is that Legal or Homebrewed? I tried some over the summer from West Virginia in a mason jar with a duct tape label. Just like you said, you could feel it burn all the way down but there was a ton of great taste.
    Legal, but it wasn't always and I doubt they changed the recipe.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Monkey Shoulder Blended Scotch

This is the first pour from this bottle, cracked her open and poured a dram then gave it over an hour to open up and breath before nosing or tasting. Thank you to my friend Scott (Crousefer) for sending me this as a gift and having the chance to try this!!

Nose: As with most scotches this is a peat forward nose that has that classic note and a bit of that sour hint to it. That being said hiding out in the background like a sly stealth ninja I do pick up hints of citrus zest, vanilla oak and a touch of a meaty tone that I can't quite nail down. It's a very smooth nose overall and much lighter and more toned down than I expected, but being that this is a blended scotch I can see where it's a bit smoother and easier to drink than some single malts. Can't wait to dig in!

Palate: This is a surprisingly sweet whiskey right off the bat and that is absolutely what I notice first as well as just how damn smooth it is and easy to sip on. I keep waiting for the smoky peat to come flying out of nowhere with a judo chop to the dome, but that never happens. About mid palate the peat starts to finally show up but it's gradual and subdued in its approach. The citrus is bright and up front but quickly gives way to the oak and vanilla before shifting to that mid palate note of the smoky peat. What surprises me the most however is that I am reminded heavily of some bourbons, specifically the Willett Pot Still and Willett XCF in terms of it being lighter and brighter without that syrupy rich and thick bourbon note. The burn shows up towards the end of the mid palate and starts off very gently and only building to mild levels with a long a drawn out oak and vanilla finish which is remarkably good! Blended scotches are known for their smoothness and drinkability and I am definitely a fan of my stand by Chivas, but here and now I can say that I would probably reach for the Monkey Shoulder more often than not now, this is a great blended scotch and the vanilla and oak tones as well as that bourbon reminiscence is delicious and I really like it!! 4/5 stars for a blended scotch offering for sure, thank you Scott!!!!
  • Options
    Had a dram of this last night, had been about a week and a half since I poured my first try of this. It is still very hot, but it has calmed down a bit and the sweetness is increasing which I really like! I did add a small splash of distilled water and it opened up nicely and I definitely prefer this one this way, would be curious how it would do with a single large ice cube to cool it down without diluting it. Thanks again Steve, really enjoying this one :)