Home Non Cigar Related
Options

what did you drink today ?

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Single Barrel 100 proof

Nose: The nose is a little hit but it also has some great spice to it as well as some orange and vanilla undercurrents to it, very nice.

Palate: This is a little thin on the mouthfeel but it is very very smooth with minimal bite and a refreshing bright orange flavor just like on the nose. The vanilla also comes through very well and by mid palate the spice shows up and brings a gentle but long burn with it that I am really really digging! There is a moderate char and oak note that blends seamlessly with the sweet corn start and transitions to the orange and vanilla cream that is a delicious combination! Really really enjoy this one and hope that it stays similar to this profile after it's been opened for a while because I really enjoy the depth and complexity in combination with the sweetness and smooth nature! 4/5 stars hands down!

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options

The nose on this is really really unique and something I really am loving... It has this spicy floral note as well as cinnamon and honey as well as se dry oak. Really is a deep and complex spicy floral nose that I could enjoy for quite some time. The body and palate is immense with just as much complexity and depth as the nose. The overall character is a sweet and slightly syrupy one from the get go. Caramel as well as a drier oak are present and by mid palate the spice shows up and is bold and powerful leading a moderate burn to go with it that lasts through the finish. I will say that the burn and spice never overpower everything and it never gets out of control either, in fact it's a nice contrast to the syrupy and sugary sweetness at the start and balances it well. There is a little bit of char and a nice dry oak in there and rounded out with a bit of smokiness too on the finish which is long and surprisingly smooth at 120 proof! Overall I would give this a 3.5-4/5 stars with it not quite as good as the Kentucky Spirit I had earlier tonight but really damn close!!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Sounds good and quick question for you or anyone else who has both. It will be a while before I get anything else but when I do would you recommend getting this or Bookers if the Bookers is only about $10 more?
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    jimmyv723:
    Sounds good and quick question for you or anyone else who has both. It will be a while before I get anything else but when I do would you recommend getting this or Bookers if the Bookers is only about $10 more?
    Kinda hard to say as they are both similar yet very different. Booker's is about 130 proof roughly so it's a bit stronger and it is also a little bit drier and oakier and doesn't focus on being as sweet. So it really depends on what you like best in a bourbon to decide which one. The Booker's had a bit more complexity and depth to it but at least this specific bottling I have of the Knob Creek has a really unique sweetness that I love.
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    90+ Irishman:
    Stubble:
    AMZ posted a pic a while back of his Irish Coffee, been wanting one ever since! Man, these go down way too smooth!!

that looks oustanding great choice :)
    Indeed, glad you enjoyed it. No work today for me due to weather. May have to make one in a little bit. Cappuccino for me to start of the day followed by Americano.
    photo B06ECB35-8097-4526-B81B-C9C720D26823_zpsokaetkv6.jpg
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    jimmyv723:
    Kinda hard to say as they are both similar yet very different. Booker's is about 130 proof roughly so it's a bit stronger and it is also a little bit drier and oakier and doesn't focus on being as sweet. So it really depends on what you like best in a bourbon to decide which one. The Booker's had a bit more complexity and depth to it but at least this specific bottling I have of the Knob Creek has a really unique sweetness that I love.
    That knob creek really does have a neat sweetness both on the nose and palate. Very round character. I haven't had the bookers, but the knob creek is a pretty good buy at under $40.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 Roses Small Batch with some Spotted Cow.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    avengethis:
    Nice! I will always have some Four Roses Small Batch in the bar, such a great bourbon and amazing price too. Easily be one of my handful of go to nightly pours. Plus it only seems to get a bit sweeter and more depth the longer the bottle has been open I have noticed.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    avengethis:
    Nice! I will always have some Four Roses Small Batch in the bar, such a great bourbon and amazing price too. Easily be one of my handful of go to nightly pours. Plus it only seems to get a bit sweeter and more depth the longer the bottle has been open I have noticed.
    I had a couple of pours of this last weekend at a conference (free bourbon!!) It was very good, I will definitely grab a bottle.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    avengethis:
    I had a couple of pours of this last weekend at a conference (free bourbon!!) It was very good, I will definitely grab a bottle.
    I bought it for Ice Fishing this past weekend and we put down about 1/2 the bottle as well as 1/2 a bottle of Elijah Craig. Both where really good especially when you take into account the price point. Around here they are both about $30.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Jefferson's 10 Year Straight Rye
    Total Beverage Exclusive Bottling

Nose: I poured this about an hour and a half ago now and just let it sit undisturbed to breath and open up before nosing or tasting at all. When I first nosed it though I was very surprised at the unique combination that I pick up. The two most dominant notes are the rye spice as you would imagine, as well as a tart green apple sweet fruit note in spades. I haven't ever smelled this strong of a profile of this before but I wish more did it because it's very very nice! Floating in and out of those two dominant flavors I also pick up a little bit of oak, some aged leather and a bit of a salty undertone that flits in and out... Loving the nose for sure!

Palate: Wow... Just wow! The bright green apple tartness that I picked up in the nose is front and forward right from the first sip and shines through beautifully! A supporting spice from the rye is there the entire time and helps to carry the green apple so that it's not one dimensional but rather varied and balanced. I cannot believe just how smooth this is though, there is some of that rye spice that you would expect and that I enjoy but it is toned down and very refined. There is a moderate sweetness that starts at the very beginning alongside the apple but it doesn't build and overpower but rather transitions about the mid palate to a oaky vanilla just as the spice and burn start to pick up a bit heading into the finish which is long but very clean and very refined with the oak and vanilla being the main players only to find the green apple surge and come back a bit late on the finish. Truly a world class rye and stacks up to nearly ANY bourbon I have (and bourbon bear in mind is still my fav, not by much but still my overall preference)! The mouthfeel is rich and buttery being a bit thicker and more syrupy as is my preference... This just keeps ticking off the boxes for what I look for personally in a world class whiskey, and so long as it stays similar to this over time as the bottle empties out and breaths then this will continue to remain my favorite rye that I have and one of my top whiskies!! 4.5/5 stars easily, world class for sure!!!
  • Options
    Sounds like you got some good stuff with that recent purchase. Will be nice when I can get some more stuff but so many great choices out there fo sho.
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    jimmyv723:
    Sounds like you got some good stuff with that recent purchase. Will be nice when I can get some more stuff but so many great choices out there fo sho.
    Yeah so far I haven't had one that didn't really impress me, very lucky and excited with these for sure! Hope some of my long winded ramblings have helped show what I get and General idea of some that may interest you. I always enjoy reading what others have to say about theirs, that's how I pick up names of ones I want to try.
  • Options
    Jefferson's Chef's Collaboration
    Batch 8 Bottle No. 1927

Nose: This is a surprisingly spicey and somewhat dry nose to it, with the added complexity of a similar apple tartness that I found in the Jefferson's 10 Year Rye that I had last night as well. I know that this is a rye and bourbon blend but I expected the bourbon to calm the rye spice on the nose a bit more but it simply hasn't. That isn't a complaint, far from it in fact as I really enjoy it I am simply surprised is all. Finally there are two other notes that I pick up if I close my eyes and really concentrate on the aroma, which is tough to pick out but certainly there and that is the licorice and marzipan that I tend to find in some of my more preferred drams! All in all very nice and excited for what that could mean on the palate.... Let's find out :)

Palate: This is totally different from anything I have tried this far... Truly unique and unlike any other whiskey I can recall. It starts out with the smooth sweetness of the bourbon and brings along flavors like smoke and heavy char as well as some corn undertones with a bright apple and green fruit bright highlights. Then it quite quickly and abruptly transitions to this meaty hearty spice and leather from the rye. With the rye the mid palate hits and a decent amount of oak and some pepper spice shines through and is carried by the apple and fruit tart flavor that picks up an element of vanilla on the finish. The finish is this long drawn out affair that lasts for several minutes and is quite nice with lingering tones of the apple once again as well as some oak and mild char that balance each other well! I swear I can taste just a touch of some licorice and something I can only say reminds me of a fruit rollup but just can't say where it shows up, somewhere near the beginning and middle but it's light and just kinda plays at the edges of your senses... Delicious and extremely interesting whiskey that I love! My wife picked this out for me and surprised me with it today as an early birthday present and man oh man did she get a winner!! Easily one of the most unique whiskies I have and also one of the most challenging to describe, all I know is that I love it and if you are looking for a complex and very interesting dram with character you won't find anywhere else stop you search with this one! Thanks baby for a great birthday present, love you!

4/5 stars hands down, not quite as good as the Jefferson's 10 Year Rye but very close and holds its own with it!
  • Options
    Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage Total Beverage Exclusive Bottling Barreled 4/7/04 Barrel No. 627 86.6 Proof

Nose: I poured this about an hour ago and let it sit undisturbed to open up and breath a bit. First nose I don't actually get to terribly much, it's a very soft and very subtle nose that is quite pleasant and comforting if that makes any sense. Flavors of marzipan and a touch of mild anise are the biggest players which doesn't say much when they are this toned down, but I also pick up a little bit of char and some vanilla spice.....yum!!!

Palate: Oh momma this is one sweet dram! The first thing I pick up on is how sweet it comes off when it first hits the tip of my tongue, but it quickly is balanced out by grain spice which is gentle but certainly present as well as the oak and marzipan that seamlessly flow from one to the other. You think it's going to be overly sweet and then it just calms down, slows down and brings in these layers of oak and char and marzipan and corn balance that just goes on and on through the mid palate and fades into the finish. Speaking of the finish its a great one, it's not overly long or complex like the main profile of this drink but it simply rocks and is solid. The burn and spice that start on the mid palate and balance the sweet sugar and marzipan grows mildly to be a steady player on the finish but never overwhelms or even overpowers the other notes and flavors. The heavier char and clean grain flavors do come to shine on the tail end of the finish and round this out for an outstanding dram on all accounts. This is a no brainier 4/5 stars for me, but I do want to mention something. This doesn't have the uniqueness of the Jefferson's Chef's Collaboration or Elmer T. Lee, it doesn't have the delectable fruit tones of the Jefferson's 10 Year Rye or the Stagg Jr. or Four Roses Single Barrel Private Selections or anything like that. But what it does have in spades is the perfect balance and sweet/smooth profile... The classic bourbon perfect pour flavor that I always imagined in my head. It's not overly complex and there is nothing that stands out in a big way but when I consider what I want in a bourbon that I could enjoy without thought yet wouldn't bore me if I focused on it this will always come to mind, and at $30 a bottle as long as I can find this bottling I will always always always have this in my collection! Thanks for reading Gang and hope you enjoyed it!
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Dude, love the Zippo man.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    Thanks bro kinda a cool story behind it. I ordered it and the soft flame butane insert right before my son was born and it showed up the day he arrived and had it in my pocket, so I always keep it on me as a good luck charm lol.
  • Options
    Had this yesterday with my cigar, and then tonight doing a pour of my Stagg Jr.

• Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Had this yesterday with my cigar, and then tonight doing a pour of my Stagg Jr.

Nice brother! Had some Stagg Jr myself tonight
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    roland_7707:
    Thanks bro kinda a cool story behind it. I ordered it and the soft flame butane insert right before my son was born and it showed up the day he arrived and had it in my pocket, so I always keep it on me as a good luck charm lol.
    I was gonna post the same comment about the lighter, and that story makes it even better.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    roland_7707:
    I was gonna post the same comment about the lighter, and that story makes it even better.
    Tha LS Ken :)
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some of you need help with your drinking problem, and I will be more then happy to take your booze off your hands. Its how I roll.
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    I think some of you need help with your drinking problem, and I will be more then happy to take your booze off your hands. Its how I roll.
    I don't have a drinking problem, I've got drinking heavily figured out pretty damn well I would say ;)
  • Options
    jd50ae:

Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    Damn good pour still loving this just as much as I did the last time I had a dram.

• Options
    Life doesn't always treat me right, so sometimes I have do it myself

• Options
    Zach Mystery Bourbon

Nose: This is a really clean and soft nose that is gentle and quite refined. It has some spice to it but it is mostly floral with some influences of marzipan and a little bit of honey that finishes clean and smooth with just a touch of oak, very nice! This is what I think of a the classic and fantastic "bourbon" nose and something I always crave in any good sipper.

Palate: Ohh boy wow what a nice dram, hell yeah!! Starts out quite spicy up front with heavy influences of rye and a very nice deep char and drier oak finish that is sublime! Digging into it a bit further it is not a very sweet one and only has milf and tame notes of vanilla and corn sweetness, but the spice and char and oak more than compensate and make this a highly complex and spectacular dram! The body is a bit thin for mouthfeel but it does have a smooth and velvety texture that compliments the spicy oak quite well and leads from the spicy front into a smooth and seamless transition of marzipan, oak, a heavy deep char (total guess but I wouldn't be surprised if this was a No. 4 "Alligator" char) with a long drawn out finish that layers the spice, oak and char with the more subtle and nuanced caramel and toffee and tobacco that is simply superb here!!! Zach thank you so much, this is totally different than most anything else I have in my cabinet as I mainly go for sweeter and lusher drama but wow this is the single best representation I can think of for why I need to start exploring the drier and spicier oaked offerings because this is extraordinary!! Easily a 4/5 star one for me and I suspect as my tastes change a bit more and this opens up even more that number may quite easily climb to a 4.5-5/5 rating for me!!

As I found out from Zach after I did this review and sent it to him, this turned out to be Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond man this rocks thanks bro!!
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 7 or so Sierra Nevada's
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    About 7 or so Sierra Nevada's
    Nice. Been a while since I had Sierra Nevada. Like the Torpedoes
  • Options
    Henry McKenna Single Barrel Bottled in Bond 10 Year Bourbon

Gifted from Zach

Nose: This is a drier and spicier nose heavy on the rye grain and oak with undercurrents of caramel and a note of anise that permeates the entire profile but only in the background. It's a different note than I get in most bourbons but I really enjoy this one, only downside would be that I do get a bit more alcohol vapor on this one so I can't just nose it continually, but that's not a big deal as the positives way outweigh it.

Palate: This one is far away from what I normally reach for, but that's not to say it's a bad thing because it is really quite good regardless! There is pepper and a rye like spice up front immediately but the velvet but thinner mouthfeel let it shift seamlessly into the anise and dark fragrant oak very well. The burn picks up fairly early but is complimented by the spice and pepper and brings with it a sweetness as well that helps to round this out a bit. The finish is a long and drawn out affair with heavy influences of char, oak, vanilla and finishing with a unique mix of dark earth and anise.... Incredibly interesting and very very good! Overall this is a great example of why I need to start checking out a few more bourbons in the drier and woodier categories because I really enjoy this a lot, thanks Zach this is delish!!! 3.75-4/5 stars, and I can see this getting higher and to a solid 4/5 with some time and a bit more exposure and experience with my palate.