Home Non Cigar Related
Options

what did you drink today ?

Comments

• Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Urbi is correct...I have a friend at work that is from the bahamas. You must get some while you are there. Hell, in cancun I bought a mexican cigar, its still sitting the humi though.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Scrambler:
    Had a glass of Havana Club rum & diet coke a while ago. Damn tasty, especially since I'm not a big rum fan. Now I have to pick something to drink with my cigar...

Scram, was this Bacardi's new remake of the Havana Club Rum or the original Havanah Club? Just curious. And if it's the original, where'd you pick it up if you don't mind my asking? I tried to buy a bottle in Grand Cayman while cruising but the liquor store insisted they deliver it to the ship and not let me take it myself. Unfortunately, we were tendered and the last boat back to the ship was leaving very shortly thereafter.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Graycliffs ....wonder how they re priced there...an interesting thought
  • Options
    Oh yea - just a little beer tonite-nothing special-Miller Lite
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Had a few glasses of Taylor Fladgate 10 year Port. Never got into port (or wine in general) until i moved to california, almost as addicing at cigars...
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    speaking of miller lite, what ever happened to Lassy?
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I was just thinking the same thing about 10 minutes ago!
  • Options
    buffalo trace
  • Options
    Trying some homemade hooch, been playing with plums and strawberries in the still. Dont quite have it down yet. In the mean time i was drinking Makers Mark on ice with a couple smashed maraschino cherries in the bottom of the glass,
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    arrogant *** and old leg humper..... and the night is still young.
  • Options
    Tried Grand Marnier for the first time over the weekend. I figured, if you're gonna do something, do it right...so I went with the 150 - their most expensive and best. At $35 a shot and high recommendation from the bar tender I thought I'd love the stuff. I was disappointed. Not much complexity due to the overpoweringly sweet orange flavor. It was more like orange cough syrup than good booze. I should have known not to take the bar tender's advice when she had no clue what it was, just that it was "wicked good" and the other bar tender told me it was an orange liquer NOT a cognac. I knew I was right - that it's cognac that is infused or flavored with orange bitters. Long story short, disappointing.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    Tried Grand Marnier for the first time over the weekend. I figured, if you're gonna do something, do it right...so I went with the 150 - their most expensive and best. At $35 a shot and high recommendation from the bar tender I thought I'd love the stuff. I was disappointed. Not much complexity due to the overpoweringly sweet orange flavor. It was more like orange cough syrup than good booze. I should have known not to take the bar tender's advice when she had no clue what it was, just that it was "wicked good" and the other bar tender told me it was an orange liquer NOT a cognac. I knew I was right - that it's cognac that is infused or flavored with orange bitters. Long story short, disappointing.
    I coulda saved you $35. Second ... "wicked good"? Where the hell were you Boston?

Edit:LMAO I saw you were from Mass after I wrote that ...
  • Options
    good catch. Just north of Boston. I figured someone would catch on to that one. Wish I'd asked on here or at least tried the cheaper stuff first. From now on, I'll stick to Remy or Hennessy. Even the XO's are cheaper than that, and MUCH better.
  • Options
    LOL ... good ole bean town.

I'm not a Cognac conniseur by any stretch but I could've told you Gran Marnier was closer to orange syrup than to cognac.
  • Options
    Making bitter cough syrup face---which incidentally looks just like my bitter beer face
  • Options
    I'm not a beer drinker, especially really hoppy, bitter beers, so I probably have a very similar face.
    Edit: I wasn't suggesting that we look alike.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Rob1110:
    I'm not a beer drinker, especially really hoppy, bitter beers, so I probably have a very similar face.
    Edit: I wasn't suggesting that we look alike.
    SEE I told you I wasn't much of a drinker...I love Grand Marnier. The Bottle should be kept in the freezer and then served that cold. You don't like orange cough medicine I take it? LOL
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well last night my wife made some great Stromboli and I had a Mojito with dinner, then afterwards with my smokes had some Makers Mark and Coke.
  • Options

Makers Mark and Coke......like mine with Sierra Mist ....matter of fact I think that will be my choice for tonight

• Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Pulled a sample out of my apple wine last night. It fermented out pretty dry, so I stirred a pinch of brown sugar into the glass. Perfect.
  • Options
    Damn that sounds good !
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My everyday bourbon is Evan Williams. It's a very good sour mash bourbon. I used to drink Jack Daniels exclusively until it was brought to my attention the way they were ripping off the public. At about that same time, I heard about Evan Williams. For my money it tastes as good or better than JD, it has a higher proof (86 compared to JD's 80), and it's cheaper. How can ya lose? For those special times, I like Knob Creek, Baker's, or Booker's - - arranged in rising price order. I think they're all made by the Jim Beam Company.and they're all very good. Last night, it was just a couple large Evan Williams on the rocks along with a Romeo y Julieta Lancero. Not a bad combination. Marty
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    jlmarta:
    I used to drink Jack Daniels exclusively until it was brought to my attention the way they were ripping off the public.
    Care to elaborate?
  • Options
    I don't consider JD a bourbon, its an American whiskey.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    And a fine one at that...I love me some JD...which, as you correctly pointed out, is a whiskey. Some whiskey's are bourbon, but I believe it has to be made of more than 51 percent corn and JD isn't...or something like that. Or, I just made that up.
  • Options
    Luko:
    madurofan:
    And a fine one at that...I love me some JD...which, as you correctly pointed out, is a whiskey. Some whiskey's are bourbon, but I believe it has to be made of more than 51 percent corn and JD isn't...or something like that. Or, I just made that up.
    According to my google-fu ... By law, Bourbon must be made up of at least 51% corn and aged a minimum of two years in a new charred white oak barrel. Bourbon can be made anywhere in the United States, though nearly all brands are made in Kentucky, and Kentucky is the only state allowed to put its name on the bottle. Bourbon is not Bourbon unless the label says so.

I hate it when I ask a bartender what bourbons he has and JD gets listed ...

So what happened to the avi, I said in another post that I didn't recognize the new naked version of you.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scrambler:
    jlmarta:
    I used to drink Jack Daniels exclusively until it was brought to my attention the way they were ripping off the public.
    Care to elaborate?
    Sure. If you go back a few years, JD used to be 90 proof. Then, without saying anything to the public, they watered it down to 86 proof but kept the price the same. Later yet, they added even more water and lowered it to 80 proof - still without telling the public and still without lowering the price. My guess is that once folks had gotten into the habit of ordering JD they may not notice the cheapening of the product and would continue paying the old price without question. Marty
  • Options
    I'm at the in-laws so alcohol has been my friend :). Actually weve just been having wine and such. Mom in law introduced me to Evan Williams, great stuff, i think the flavor is better than JD. Dad in law drinks Bulliet Bourbon, also very good but not #1 on my list. Broke out a bottle of Midleton Irish whiskey the other night, amazing stuff! The smoothest, most complex irish whiskey ive had next to Bushmills 16 year. Dont like it too much though, can only afford to buy one or two bottles of it a year LOL>
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Scrambler:
    jlmarta:
    Care to elaborate?
    Sure. If you go back a few years, JD used to be 90 proof. Then, without saying anything to the public, they watered it down to 86 proof but kept the price the same. Later yet, they added even more water and lowered it to 80 proof - still without telling the public and still without lowering the price. My guess is that once folks had gotten into the habit of ordering JD they may not notice the cheapening of the product and would continue paying the old price without question. Marty
    Unfortunately EW did a similar thing with their Gold label. It used to be aged 10 years and said so on the bottle. Now its not aged 10 years anymore, and they don't disclose how long it is aged and the bottle says somethign to the effect of "No. 10 Brand" now.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Never got into JD either, never had EW. JB taste like peanuts to me...peanuts 'n coke is not that good. I stick with CR, the canadians to at least one thing right and thats whiskey.