Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Netflix recommendations And Prime( if you got it)

Comments

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleddog46 said: p
    Anyone watch the show on Netflix  "Godless" ? It's a 7 part miniseries Western. Hard to get into but still good.
    It's on the list right after I burn through Punisher. Jon Bernthal plays a very convincing sociopath. 

I just did a major binge of all the marvel/Netflix joint operations. Jessica Jones, Luke cage, daredevil and iron fist. Then the defenders where they all join up. I really liked the casting and the small time hero themes present across the board
    Watched the last Daredevil Wednesday night. They're not bad. My wife is obsessed with them. 
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    The "Border" security shows had me on a binge. Airport security and border customs inspections. Canada, Australia, US and I think one other country. It is amazing, but I think the same people get caught or don't speak English at every checkpoint, and every country. 
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep meaning to post this movie. What drew me to it is based (closely) on a real battle.
    "The Siege of Jadotville"
    Left on their own, existence denied and the battle was never admitted to.
    Outnumbered is a gross understatement.
    No hollywood hype or big name actors, at least here.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're enjoying the new season of "The Crown".  It was fun watching John Lithgow be Churchill in the 1st season, although once or twice I thought I heard D ick Solomon in his voice.  ;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Between. Kinda reminds me of the dome in a way. A darn good show. 
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prime: Jean-Claude Van Johnson, some really funny moments, doesn't take itself seriously. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Watched the new Will Smith Netflix movie. I think it’s called Bright. It’s ok
  • Options
    We watched A.D. Kingdom and Empire.  Very well done, begins at the resurrection and tells the story of the apostles that follows.  It's quite moving.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might be late on these but Narcos was pretty good, just started watching Frontier. 
  • Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Frontier was decent, not as good as Turn Washington's spies.... I really liked that 1.
    I see season 2 of travelers is out, I really liked season 1.  Left me on the edge of my seat.
    Give it a try scifi lovers.
    I thought Bright was ok,  It had a lot of potential but the writing just kind of sucked.
     Will Smith did his typical good job acting but I think the writing could have been better.   There were a lot of really cool ideas that could have been explored a little further.
     I would hope to see a couple of seasons worth of something like that.  But then I liked Alien Nation back in the day too.   It's like a different twist on the same old cop show
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife and I just finished binge watching  "Luther" on Netflix.  Great show, can't wait for the next season.  We are also waiting for "Orange is the New Black."
  • Options
    Is there going to be another Orange is the New Black season?  I thought they'd wrapped it up.

Finally convinced the wife to watch Peaky Blinders.  Took a couple episodes to get her into it, but now we're in season 3.

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a quick question. I’m brand-new to this thread and don’t want to start reading them at the beginning to find out if anyone knows how to download the Amazon Prime app to a Vizio SmartCast TV. 

I have  the app on my iPhone but can’t find anything about getting the app on my TV. 

Can anyone help?  Thanks in advance.. 
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I'm guessing its on there already Marty. I don't have a smart tv but I have an Apple TV box and it came with Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix etc all on there already. If not go into the internet part of the tv and there should be an app store somewhere. 

I'll do some searching...

https://youtu.be/4xENkV46r3k
  • Options
    Thanks, Charlie @CharlieHeis. I appreciate your help. 

When i select ‘cast’ from the input button the only thing I get are full screen scenery pictures. No icons or widgets like it shows in the tutorial. And what appears on my iPhone when I try to get there from the app is totally different. Must have been an update or two since that tutorial was made. 

I think the scenery pictures were intended to dusplay the picture in the store. There’s got to be a setting somewhere to turn them off and maybe get the icons or widgets. 

• Options
    I searched Vizio smartcast app setup. Maybe try adding your specific model and going from there.
    My scenery pics come up as a screensaver after a few minutes of inactivity but I'm not sure how yours works.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I may have found the answer, Charlie. One of the sites I visited had a link to ‘V.I.A. Policy’. The fine print disclaims various and sundry services, etc. and basically, the way I read it, they’ve stopped making this feature available. They’ve got a cart load of scapegoats to blame, yadda, yadda......

Here’s the link:  https://www.vizio.com/via-policy

So, I guess I’ll just forget ‘Smartcasting’ and obtain my program inputs elsewhere. Amazon Prime, Netflix, YouTube, etc. 

Thanks again, Charlie. 
  • Options
    So you paid extra money for a smart tv that isn't any smarter than mine now?
  • Options
    Well, yes and no. It’s definitely smarter than the old Toshiba that it replaced. It’s got a great picture and push-button adjustable color and brightness. There are a number of improvements. Plus, I got it for a great price. 

And i can evidently plug in something like Roku or the Amazon Fire Stick and be able to stream ‘ala carte tv’ for a lot less than providers like Comcast or Dish Network. 

So it’s not a total bummer. I could rationalize and say that we don’t watch enough tv to warrant a lot of high-tech capabilities that require more learning on my part (and that’s true enough)  but I anticipated the learning curve. Now, I guess it’ll just be learning a different route to the same goal - expanded tv program capability. 

There’s always more than one way to skin a cat.....
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We like our Roku devices.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    We like our Roku devices.
    I figured the problem would be solved when I saw Chris had the most recent comment. That wasn't much help lol
  • Options
    Maybe not, but at least he recommends something I’m looking into. That’s positive reinforcement for me.....

Thanks, Chris @Yakster.....
  • Options
    We have Rokus on all our TVs but recently switched in the living room to a firestick. The wife programmed it and I haven’t had time to play on it yet. 
  • Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Been getting in to The Handmaids Tale on Hulu. Some crazy **** in that show. Only 3 episodes in, but has my attention. 

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlmarta
    Marty, I have an extra Amazon FireTV stick I can send you, if you want it.
    You need to sign up for an Amazon account, but you don't have to put in a credit card info. There are tons of apps you can use on it. Netflix, Hulu, some free channels, channels like A&E will allow linited watching without having a TV cable provider.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    WOW!!  I was just researching the Fire Stick vs Roku and was on the verge of making a decision. I already have Amazon Prime so your timing couldn’t be better. I’ll PM my new addy to ya. We can work out the details later. 

Thanks very much, my friend. 
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Awesome!
    It will sit and not be used. Every TV in our house has one on it and I take one with me when I'm sent off all over Oregon and have to stay in motels.
    And then when we figure out what to use it on, no one will remember where it is and we'll find it 10 years from now and it won't be of any use.

So, less stuff in my house is a good thing. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    I think Santa Claus lives in Warrenton......   :D
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jean Claude Van Johnson in Prime is quite funny. It's like Van Claude subtly mocking his own entire career.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    The Ranch on Netflix. New season.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: