Home General Discussion
Options

Two cents...

Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
I feel like this forum has gotten too 'inside.' I'm not even sure what I mean by that. The nachos, the PM threads...it's great to have inside jokes. But they shouldn't be every thread. I know even back in the day we had BORK. But I also know even that confused and turned off some people. I think it's great that there is a huge level of enthusiasm and camaraderie among noobs and all, but IMO it's gone too far on the public forum.

And while I'm throwing myself to the wolves I might as well go all out and mention that if I see another person say some fake "Uh oh" or "Nooooo, don't bomb me" or "I really did it this time" nonsense I'm gonna go homicidal. It's like a backseat at a drive-in around here sometimes.
^Troll: DO NOT FEED.

Comments

• Options
    MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I have Ken's addy someone =P
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am lost with some of this stuff for sure but I just kind of roll with it. Figure I will catch back up and get in the know soon enough. I was going to type BORK yesterday but I figured no one would know what I meant but a couple guys. Not sure what a complete noob would think about all of it.

What is wrong with the backseat at a drive-in anyways?
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    It's cyclical and comes and goes on every Cigar Forum. Does it get to be too much...yeah but I just gloss over threads that I know I'm not interested in and move on. If I stopped and read every thread I'd probably burn my eyes out with a torch. Everybody has their interests and newbies tend to follow threads like you mentioned while FOG's just look for anything that looks like it could be interesting....that's what I do.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Ken. I appreciate your observations. As a noob myself, it's been difficult to figure out how things go here, and I'm sure I've gotten caught up in the enthusiasm you are referring to. I take your "two cents" as a good wake up call. Thanks again.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Ken Light:
    I feel like this forum has gotten too 'inside.' I'm not even sure what I mean by that. The nachos, the PM threads...it's great to have inside jokes. But they shouldn't be every thread. I know even back in the day we had BORK. But I also know even that confused and turned off some people. I think it's great that there is a huge level of enthusiasm and camaraderie among noobs and all, but IMO it's gone too far on the public forum.

And while I'm throwing myself to the wolves I might as well go all out and mention that if I see another person say some fake "Uh oh" or "Nooooo, don't bomb me" or "I really did it this time" nonsense I'm gonna go homicidal. It's like a backseat at a drive-in around here sometimes.
    My two cents..
    as A "Total Newb" I believe that what you're complaining about, IS what Gives gives this place it's charm, the not knowing WTF is going on & taking the time to get to know you all, AND just what the heck you all mean by the things you post... IS THE FUN OF IT HERE ! :D
    but what ever, I'm new and stupid to the world of this place compared to you so even thought I LOVE it, guess its moot
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Well said Ken! As per BORK, nothing wrong with it, so long as it isnt said to exclude people. Pretty hard to bring people up on all of the back stories....if people wish to learn the history of it..it isnt a secret, they just need to learn how to search, and read and read and read. Kinda takes it back to when each thread actually had a theme, and wasnt just so much hijackin and trolling of the thread with nothing new to add to the original question, thought or idea.

As per the bork, here is when little phil coined the acronym when E was typing so fast his fat fingers slid 1 key sideways while typing botl. The post 2011 folks wont have any idea who or certainly what E, phil or any of the 'old timers' did to create the place we all have today....as they have moved on because of whatever.

If you want the BORK thread invention....read here: http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/1/169133/ShowThread.aspx
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could not justify nominating myself for the biggest 5 Vegas Ho and I probably smoke and purchase more 5 Vegas then anyone else (I think).

And I am pleased beyond words when I am bombed and there is never any damage. But BOMB is a good word and everyone knows what it means. And I don't care if the flat rates I send out are acknowledged, I just enjoy doing it.

So, I kinda agree with you, but I can see why people like it, it is fun. Besides I am a newb and don't know anything anyway.
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    It's cyclical and comes and goes on every Cigar Forum. Does it get to be too much...yeah but I just gloss over threads that I know I'm not interested in and move on. If I stopped and read every thread I'd probably burn my eyes out with a torch. Everybody has their interests and newbies tend to follow threads like you mentioned while FOG's just look for anything that looks like it could be interesting....that's what I do.
    In the time i took to type my reply, a few other wise posts were made! As another FOG, I do much of the same, that being gloss over many of the new threads just based up the title, and or the original poster. Please dont take that as an insult anyone, just way too much non-stop banter in what is supposed to be an organized forum. Our Ccom forum is turning into a daily run-on conversation similar to what takes place over at CI, which i love by the way....but each has its strength.

while my thoughts are hardly worth 2 cents...no change is required since we have eliminated making the penny in Canada now :)
  • Options
    honorknight7:
    Ken Light:

My two cents..
    as A "Total Newb" I believe that what you're complaining about, IS what Gives gives this place it's charm, the not knowing WTF is going on & taking the time to get to know you all, AND just what the heck you all mean by the things you post... IS THE FUN OF IT HERE ! :D
    but what ever, I'm new and stupid to the world of this place compared to you so even thought I LOVE it, guess its moot
    Dude, I liked you when you showed up, how you gonna rate a brother's post 1 star just because you don't agree? LoL I'm just playin', it can be fun, and I get that, I just get worried when content becomes less accessible to those coming by. You're not the average newcomer.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken I see what you are saying but at the same time I feel as if it has been going on since I've been a member. I think staying active and trying too understand helps out. I do feel as if people have gone with one side or the other and yeah sometimes your opinion doesn't count. But that being said if nobody wants too take advise that is on them. Also in terms of clicks I really don't care I'm here too try too educate and learn something new. There will always be some kind of bs on forums and trust me I've bitten my tongue a lot. Just don't let it bother you and keep on going
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    It comes down to the forum being an always expanding thing/place. Old people/idea leave and new people/ideas continue on. Good old people/ideas continue on. Bad new people/ideas fade. Deep, huh?Did you guys know that a lot of people questioned why we need a "Whatcha smoking this afternoon" thread? That started in August 2011 and has 571,377 views.Posting this is not going to change forum, but I do like to hear what people have to say. I'm learning myself to move on if I don't like a thread/post, because at the end of the day it's an internet forum. If you don't like people begging to get bombed, then don't bomb them. I know RoRo hates it....and do you have to have like 3K posts before he knows your name ;) People are right, this happens every few months or so.This is not the board of old and it never will be. I'll limit myself to this one post, because I can dang sure get caught up in some stuff!
  • Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    sorry ken didn't mean to offend, it just came off to me (as the goofy *** I am :P) that you were just having a bad day or getting to many complaints and needed to rage
    I DO LOVE YOU BABE
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I agree with cigary, its cyclical. It happens on all forums, not just cigar. Yes it's going to drive people away, not just noobs it's a large part of the reason I'm not around much. But it happens on all of them. Just know, no matter what your intentions you are creating a 'clique' by doing it.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    I agree with cigary, its cyclical. It happens on all forums, not just cigar. Yes it's going to drive people away, not just noobs it's a large part of the reason I'm not around much. But it happens on all of them. Just know, no matter what your intentions you are creating a 'clique' by doing it.
    this is a shame because through lurking on the forums maddy was the person that came up the most and one of the reasons I joined
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Ken. I have been a member for 4 1/2 years, but I am not a post **** or a thread jacker so most people don't know who I am. The friendships that have been formed from this forum are a great thing, however this is becoming a clique.
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Human nature won't let everyone just "get along". These "cliques" we are speaking of, are going to form. Guys become "friends", and will act as such. Maybe they are just "forum friends", or maybe the have herf'd together. Who knows!? Such is life, you can't let it take away from the environment that this place has. Yes, there are inside jokes. Things that happened 2yrs ago, that some members don't understand. No reason to let them go. 2yrs from now, those who were the new members will have their own inside jokes, that the new guys then, don't understand. Why give up what you enjoy, to please others?

If we're letting the actions of others, actions that have no effect on our life, affect us. That is an issue unto itself. So, maybe we should just take a step back for a minute. Remember nothing will ever be like it used to be, and enjoy what we've got here. Are guys going to try to use the "don't bomb me" phrase, to get bombed? YUP! For some people, they don't even know they are doing it, and it's not intentional, but it's attention seeking. Some others, truly don't want the bombs to come. Now...if a brand new member comes in, and says "oooh noooo! Don't bomb me! Please!" yeah, I'll give you that. Can we not believe that some members, truly don't want it? Or do in fact use it as a threat? "Don't bomb me, you'll PAY!"

So, go ahead...flame me if you want. I felt the need to speak my piece. I mean no offense to anyone, and nothing is personal.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't sure I was going to respond to this or not but it seems I might have played a small but unintentional role in some of this. Yes, I mobilized some of the new guys against 0Patience (a deserving BOTL IMHO) and then I turned on the Five Dandy Musketeers. (But to be fair I also coordinated a birthday strike against Jim). None of this was meant to encourage cliques but to create identity and to have a little fun. If I've offended anyone, my sincere apologies.

I'm going to take a break from this forum for a couple of days so see you all mid week.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Its a measure of content, and I get it. When the page is filled with PM to you, need an addy, etc..., the real content is lost in a swarm of threads that have none.

That being said, I know I do not check my PM here all the time. There is no notification when you get one. Some people don't like the PM in your inbox thread, others don't like the individual PM to you threads. In reality, it's the functionality of the board that has caused this.

My two cents on the nacho thing since I started it... It was a redirection when I needed to get an addy quick; quicker then PM'ing someone and wait a day or two for response. That's why I did it today. If I had time, I would have verified it two days ago, but I was motivated to hit someone today for no reason. However, the whole idea of a bomb to me is NOT letting someone know it is coming. The surprise is the best part, and posting about it is not secretive at all... It also sets up expectation and letdown. I never let someone know I am bombing them, but I do get addy's and lurk in the shadow's...

At the end of the day, smoke a cigar, help your fellow brother, and chill. That's what we are here for. In the end, it never ceases to amaze me how seriously people take the internet. Life is too short, long ashes brothers and sisters. And Ken is always spot on with his observations, much respect bro.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will somebody explain the clique aspect of these complaints. I just don't get it. I don't know who's in a clique. I don't know who isn't. Am I in a clique? If I am I don't know it. And who's a post ****? Name names. LOL
  • Options
    Ugh let's just all try too be friends and welcome the newbs...tongue is swollen
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    Will somebody explain the clique aspect of these complaints. I just don't get it. I don't know who's in a clique. I don't know who isn't. Am I in a clique? If I am I don't know it. And who's a post ****? Name names. LOL
    My name is New Boots...and I'm a post ****
  • Options
    Like I said in the first post, I'm not exactly sure what I mean. I pointed out a couple things that were at the front of my mind at the time. Then I contradicted myself because I know those things have always been there. I just feel like they were more...subtle, maybe, before? And as I've explained in PM but I should say publicly I'm not trying to call ANYONE out with this, I'm just trying to start a conversation, and only maybe that. Maybe just point something out; I don't know. I just feel like this place seemed really accessible to me when I got here. And I've been to a lot of places, in real life mostly, that weren't like that. A lot of places seem like you needed to know the secret handshake or you got disrespect or overlooked and I always appreciated that this place wasn't like that. I think that's less true, or at least it'll APPEAR less true even if it's not.

Maybe it's just something about the General Discussion section. I feel like that's our public persona, our first point of contact with a new member. Maybe not, maybe that's 101, but I think I'd start out in General to poke around. If I got there and 3 posts had a guy's name on it I'd feel like this was some impenetrable clique. And I get the meta-joke, and I love the meta-joke, but...

You ever hang with gamers? Like, real hard-core table topping, card-playing, figurine-painting, boffer weapon-making gamers? Guys that are so desperate to belong that when they find others like themselves they lock everyone else out? I get the same vibe here as I did hanging with those guys sometimes...and I was on the inside then and I don't feel like I'm on the outside now either but it felt kinda wrong both times...
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    Bob Luken:
    OK we've joked about this but really,....Imma be serious for a minute..You are not really what I would call a post ****. I would say that someone who puts too much emphasis on post count and intentionally posts a lot of empty fluff content just to raise their numbers would be a post ****. I don't think you do that. You are an enthusiastic newbie. So am I.
  • Options
    Here's a point...does post count matter or time on the forums?? I'd rather have time on the forums then post count!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Ken, for the most part, I'm 100% with you right ^ there. I'm as guilty of the next guy for the " *user* PM" post. I REALLY wish, (and I'm going to try again) that I could take a smidgen of control on the forums themselves. Just some moderation and forum controls. Not worried about "power" over the members, but the boards need help. I'm not going to get to far into that...we all know how much help these boards need.

I already forgot who said it, but the boards themselves are part of the problem. I've owned, operated, and maintained forums in the past. It's seriously 30sec of work, to open a new area to post in. Another 30sec to turn on PM notifications, etc.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Here's a point...does post count matter or time on the forums?? I'd rather have time on the forums then post count!
    Post count matters for nothing. Look at mine! My first 45 days on this forum, I was on vacation...so I was here, A LOT! IE: A lot of posts. But I won't claim to have a drop in a bucket of knowledge, compared to some members with under 500 posts.

Bob Luken:
    New Boots:
    Bob Luken:
    OK we've joked about this but really,....Imma be serious for a minute..You are not really what I would call a post ****. I would say that someone who puts too much emphasis on post count and intentionally posts a lot of empty fluff content just to raise their numbers would be a post ****. I don't think you do that. You are an enthusiastic newbie. So am I.
    Well thank you Bob, and yes I am rather enthusiastic about it. There is so much to learn, and I do a lot of reading. Said reading puts me into a lot of threads. Generally, I'll end up with a question, comment, or...you know...be my standard smart a$$ self.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    I disagree with the use of the word clique. Clique is a term that is used in a negative term where people are ostracized for how they act, what they think, or for no reason at all.

what I have seen on here has nothing to do with cliques. it has to do more with posters who are active vs. posters who are not as active as they would like. There is a subset of us that are on here often. We are active in threads, and keep conversations going....and sometimes change the topic of the convo (this happens pretty often on the internet believe it or not) We make the time to get to know our BOTLs on a more personal level. We text each other (not much lately) We play poker with each other. We spend time with each other Vherfing. Natural bonds are going to be formed there, and EVERYONE on the forum is more than invited to be a part of that. No one is ostracized. No one is kept out. If there are groups formed, it is because there are people who share the common likes and enjoy conversing with each other.

I don't understand why that is a bad thing.

I do agree with some of the original thought....even in my one year here the way bombs are thrown around is different from when i started.....crazy would be a good word for the way bombs are tossed around.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP nachos
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    RIP nachos
    Nacho's never die!
  • Options
    New Boots:
    Ken, for the most part, I'm 100% with you right ^ there. I'm as guilty of the next guy for the " *user* PM" post. I REALLY wish, (and I'm going to try again) that I could take a smidgen of control on the forums themselves. Just some moderation and forum controls. Not worried about "power" over the members, but the boards need help. I'm not going to get to far into that...we all know how much help these boards need.

I already forgot who said it, but the boards themselves are part of the problem. I've owned, operated, and maintained forums in the past. It's seriously 30sec of work, to open a new area to post in. Another 30sec to turn on PM notifications, etc.
    LoL, you want to take control? And you've tried already? You want to moderate? Really? One forum under Boots? I'd rather you get real far into it. Tell us your plan, Herr Boots.