Home Non Cigar Related

Let's Talk Hockey

Comments

• Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

@MrShrek said:
    As I was taking a look at the standings this thought came to mind that one of you may have the answer for. If a win in overtime is just considered a win, then why is a loss in overtime considered anything other than a loss. Why waste the time calling it an OTL?

In short: you get two points for a win no matter how it comes. One point for a loss outside of regulation. And no points for a loss inside regulation. The answer I think you’re looking for is the OTL column is partly for ranking purposes. In a case where two teams have the same amount of points they’ll look at that to see who won more in regulation.

There’s a little more to it as the purpose of the OTL column, but that’s mainly it. And that’s why we love hockey.. ties don’t exist.

• VisionVision Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrShrek said:
    As I was taking a look at the standings this thought came to mind that one of you may have the answer for. If a win in overtime is just considered a win, then why is a loss in overtime considered anything other than a loss. Why waste the time calling it an OTL?

You still get a point for the OTL.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cam_91 said:

@MrShrek said:

In short: you get two points for a win no matter how it comes. One point for a loss outside of regulation. And no points for a loss inside regulation. The answer I think you’re looking for is the OTL column is partly for ranking purposes. In a case where two teams have the same amount of points they’ll look at that to see who won more in regulation.

There’s a little more to it as the purpose of the OTL column, but that’s mainly it. And that’s why we love hockey.. ties don’t exist.

A little history, it used to be that there was no shootout but if there was a tie at the end of regulation, there was one 5 minute ot period of five on five hockey.

You got 2 pts for any win, 1 PT for a tie and 0 for any loss. What would happen is that the one or both teams would hold the puck and play conservatively, forcing a tie. The game theory employed was that 1 standing point was better than 2. This then morphed into the third period, making games essentially 2 periods long. Boring, and you had a standings page that ended up with teams having 20+ ties per year.

So the NHL tweaked the standings to add a point for overtime losses. This was ultra clunky though. Plus, most overtime games still resulted in ties. Of the OT 306 games in 2003-2004, 170 of them resulted in ties. The minnesota wild finished the year 30-29-20-3 that year, with 20 of their 23 games ending in a tie.

Of the following year, the NHL adopted its current format. If there's a tie at the end of regulation, you get one five minute overtime frame of sudden death three on three hockey. If the teams are still tired at the end of overtime, they go to a shootout to determine the winner. No ties. You got two points for any win at all, and you get one point for any loss in overtime or the shootout.

They went to the three on three format to prevent teams from holding the puck and waiting for a shootout. It's a lot harder to hold the puck three on three than it is five on a five, and with only six players on the ice, You can't keep two defenders in your own zone.

Still, realizing that the shoot out win was not as good as a win during actual hockey play, the NHL employed a line in the standings called ROT. No, this does not stand for right off the truck. It means regular or overtime. You earn ROT by winning in regulation or during the three on three overtime period, but you do not earn one if you win in a shootout. Standings are determined by total number of points, two for a win and one for a loss after regulation. One of the first tie breakers is ROT.

So if Vegas and San Jose are tied in points and record, which would never happen in real life, The first time breaker is whoever has more ROT. If San Jose had nine shootout wins, but Vegas had seven shootout wins, Vegas would have two more in the ROTC column, so they would be ahead in the standings.

So in order of how good they are, a regulation or overtime win is the best. A shoot out win is the second best. And any overtime loss is third best. Losses are the worst.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.

I love hearing everything the players have to say to the refs...... 🤬🤬🤬

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cripes, a damn sophomore in high school pulled off the michigan goal last night

^^ this started fights when I was playing

edited January 2021
    Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.

@Cam_91 said:
    ^^ this started fights when I was playing

Low or high hit absolutely. Wouldn’t have been clean.....

edited February 2021

Got an update @VegasFrank It’ll be our first game back in The Tank (great name huh, I know you like it). Might get to attend this one too

edited February 2021

I hope you attend so you can drive home crying... I don't know why they call it the tank though. I typically make all of my sharTs in the bowl.

Fisticuffs at the :03 mark in the first. Love to see it

• PeachesPeaches Posts: 14 ✭✭

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

My team sucks and they've lost around eight in a row. As of now, they're leading as I'm watching on a delay, and a young player named Givani Smith just completed a Gordie Howe hat trick. That's good stuff.

@CharlieHeis said:
    My team sucks and they've lost around eight in a row.

The league feels so wrong when the wings aren’t winning. Grew up watching them lift cups

Schedule Updates for: BUF, NJ, MIN

Crazy. Let's hope they can get in all 868 games

@Significant3 Looks like we’re goin at it today sir

Did anyone really win that game?

@VegasFrank said:
    Did anyone really win that game?

At least we can stay on the ice

That's not a ringing endorsement of your team

@VegasFrank said:
    That's not a ringing endorsement of your team

Can’t win if you’re not on the ice... or lose either I guess

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

The helmets......😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.

Don’t know what your plans are tomorrow, but let’s herf for the game. Matinee game at 1p. Can hop on the start or the 3rd, whatever’s clever Mr. golden showers

@VegasFrank

Boss lady won't let you go out before the 3rd period @Cam_91? Or are you gonna be on yours for the start of the game?

@VegasFrank said:
    Boss lady won't let you go out before the 3rd period @Cam_91? Or are you gonna be on yours for the start of the game?

It’s mostly that I can’t put up with you for 3 periods of hockey, but I can give it the old fashioned try 🤷🏻‍♂️

^^ eeeek, are you upset frank? I get pissy when I score 100+ on the course too

Hey boys..... howmbout those Bs?

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cam_91 said:
    ^^ eeeek, are you upset frank? I get pissy when I score 100+ on the course too

Them fighting words!

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....