Home Non Cigar Related

Beer

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that sounds tasty.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If any of you guys still use 35mm film, your in luck.
    Budweiser and Kodak have come up with a beer that will also develop your film.
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a good way to spend the afternoon! Are these your tasting notes?
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No black Tuesday?
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome Chris

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They weren't serving any "Tuesday" beers, but I did pick up a couple of smaller bottles of Black Tuesday plus a bomber of their anniversary Acier and The Order to go.

The comments above the rating are my notes, yes.

As I was driving up there, my boss scheduled a last-minute meeting without my knowledge and I had to dial in and participate from the tap room, so I was a bit distracted.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    White chocolate mocha blonde stout. 12.7, smooth and sweet as the day is long 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Sometimes I want to save half a bomber for tomorrow. I stopped at the accessory area near the checkout at my liquor store and before I studied it well enough I bought this pair of corks with a pump thing. After I got home I realized it was the exact opposite of what I needed because the pump removes air from the bottle to preserve the wine. The corks let air pass out  but not in. So even if I didn't use the pump,.... these corks would let the pressure out as the beer sits in the fridge. I returned them on my next visit. I need the opposite for beer right? Wouldn't I want to add a little air pressure inside the bottle to preserve beer? Do they make anything like this for beer? I've looked online but no luck yet finding this type of thing. I know I can just use a cork of some type but this wine pump got me to thinking about something that would operate in the opposite manner. 

Yeah, I know. If I was a real man, I would just finish the damn bomber. 

angry marlon brando GIF

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I backed a DrinkTanks KickStarter for a double-wall SS growler with a kegulator cap that I could use to force carbonate beer or retain carbonation on opened beers like bombers. I was planning on also carbonating home-made soda and cold brew and modifying it with a nitro tap and nitro cartridges. Several years of waiting for the kegulator, I gave up and asked for a refund. I've still got the SS growler and some CO2 canisters. 

There's other pressurized growlers out there, uKeg probably being the most well known, but I'm not sure how practical it is to save half a bombers. They're notoriously large, probably due to regulated sizes for growler fills.

Let me know, the great beers come in bombers and I'd rather drink half that quantity in a sitting.

I should just get my bottle capper out and pour out a tall glass and quickly re-cap the bomber and see how that works.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My practice now is to carefully open the cap so as not to warp it, then I just re-cap with original cap. And that works pretty good until the next day, but it's obviously somewhat less carbonated. Not bad, but I would assume if I could add air pressure and be able to seal in that pressure, the beer would lose noticeably less carbonation.  
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All aboard......

Army vet lost 44 pounds only drinking beer for Lent, inspired by monks

This belongs in the beer thread too....
    This was good and would age well, but not really impressed for the money.

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    My practice now is to carefully open the cap so as not to warp it, then I just re-cap with original cap. And that works pretty good until the next day, but it's obviously somewhat less carbonated. Not bad, but I would assume if I could add air pressure and be able to seal in that pressure, the beer would lose noticeably less carbonation.  
    https://www.ebay.com/i/253812408332?chn=ps

The problem with adding air is that oxygen will skunk your beer, damn near overnight. You can use a bottling system if you do it often enough. Blichmann makes one for a couple hundred that will pump CO2 into the bottle before sealing. No oxygen = no off flavors.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    https://www.ebay.com/i/253812408332?chn=ps

The problem with adding air is that oxygen will skunk your beer, damn near overnight. You can use a bottling system if you do it often enough. Blichmann makes one for a couple hundred that will pump CO2 into the bottle before sealing. No oxygen = no off flavors.
    There's a cheap pump that will work also. I've never used it but Juinn mentioned in on the vherf some time ago. It's for wine but it will work for beer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GA3KCE/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
    It sounds like that's the one causing problems, since it vacuums the air (and carbonation) out.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...

Guitarded said:

How was it? I've been eyeballing it for a bit.

It was good Wayne, but not exceptional. I had it hidden away since 16.
    I don’t remember exactly what I paid for it but it wasn’t cheap.
    There are definitely better barley wines out there for less.
    Chelada time!

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Bad Baptista from @Guitarded recommend Prestige Liquors. And some bourbon...

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.