Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Unicorn Diaries

Comments

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now, IMHO Scotch is not Whiskey, and since that particular single malt (i love single malts) is heavy I'm guessing he recommended a splash of water. Neat is not the recommended consumption method any way, should be on rocks with a tiny tiny splash. This will accentuate the true Scotch flavor without taking away from the experience. Agin this is just my opinion as a Scatch drinker.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    UnicornUnicorn Posts: 451 ✭✭
    Thanks for the clarification Patrick. I'm still learning:)
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you see it .....
    photo B233A3C6-orig.jpg
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    When you see it .....
    photo B233A3C6-orig.jpg
    Thanks for showing me?
  • Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    Patrickbrick:
    Now, IMHO Scotch is not Whiskey, and since that particular single malt (i love single malts) is heavy I'm guessing he recommended a splash of water. Neat is not the recommended consumption method any way, should be on rocks with a tiny tiny splash. This will accentuate the true Scotch flavor without taking away from the experience. Agin this is just my opinion as a Scatch drinker.
    I'm pretty sure the bottle says whisky right on it? She is correct. And I will challange you to say that the recommended consumption method is not neat. By adding ice you are adding water that is uncontrolled dilution. If you want it chilled, add Whisky stones. But, Neat is the way to go. a touch of water if you need it, but not all Scotch or whiskey needs water. And, i think adding ice does take away the experience because the last sips of your scotch will be completely watered down as your ice melts. give it a shot with some water...Point goes to unicorn
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unicorn:
    danielzreyes:
    When you see it .....
    photo B233A3C6-orig.jpg
    Thanks for showing me?
    I took your cookies to a cigar even last night. See the tupperware on the table? They we're a hit.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unicorn:
    danielzreyes:
    When you see it .....
    photo B233A3C6-orig.jpg
    Thanks for showing me?
    I see it.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Trident:
    Patrickbrick:
    I'm pretty sure the bottle says whisky right on it? She is correct. And I will challange you to say that the recommended consumption method is not neat. By adding ice you are adding water that is uncontrolled dilution. If you want it chilled, add Whisky stones. But, Neat is the way to go. a touch of water if you need it, but not all Scotch or whiskey needs water. And, i think adding ice does take away the experience because the last sips of your scotch will be completely watered down as your ice melts. give it a shot with some water...Point goes to unicorn
    To each his own, but I agree with Rome on both points. I've referred to Scotch as just Whisky on several occasions. I also drink it neat for the reasons listed above, but also because I find if Whisky is too cold, the flavor losses something for me. But again, how you drink it is totally up to you. Hell, I also refuse to use a punch on a cigar. Different strokes....
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Trident:
    Patrickbrick:
    To each his own, but I agree with Rome on both points. I've referred to Scotch as just Whisky on several occasions. I also drink it neat for the reasons listed above, but also because I find if Whisky is too cold, the flavor losses something for me. But again, how you drink it is totally up to you. Hell, I also refuse to use a punch on a cigar. Different strokes....
    agreed! to each their own...a preference is an individual thing. and we all know that Tony likes to Vcut his 7x70
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trident:
    SleevePlz:
    Trident:
    Patrickbrick:
    agreed! to each their own...a preference is an individual thing. and we all know that Tony likes to Vcut his 7x70
    I totally agree with you everyone likes something different! In cigars ,liquor coffee.when it comes to scotch I like famous grouse with a splash of seltzer and a few whiskey stones.and I sip it.that's just me.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trident:
    If you want it chilled, add Whisky stones.

If you do a little reading I believe you'll find that whiskey stones aren't intended to substitute for ice. If they were, they sure don't do a very good job of it. The principal function of whiskey stones is simply to lower the temperature of the whiskey by a couple degrees, thereby helping to dissipate the ethanol in the whiskey. It's the ethanol that produces the 'burn' when you swallow the whiskey.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patrickbrick:
    Now, IMHO Scotch is not Whiskey.......

Just for the sake of picking nits, Patrick, you're right. It isn't whiskey. It's whisky. I looked around a bit and learned that countries with an 'E' in their name tend to use the spelling 'whiskey'. This would include Ireland, England, and the United States. Countries with no 'E', such as Scotland, Canada, Japan, etc. tend to spell it 'whisky'. Other than that, it appears whiskey is whisky and vice-versa.

And don't EVEN get me started on the topic of bourbon...... LOL
  • Options
    Interesting and informative debate gentlemen, thank you!

Thank you Daniel, for pointing that out... I also suck at Where's Waldo and those Seek and Find books.
  • Options
    Trident:
    Patrickbrick:
    What this man said. I would never dream of pouring good whisky over ice.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I drink my secret brown liquor by secret method. I don't tell anybody because people got these ideas about what they think is right and wrong and what's better and what they'd never do, so if you ever see me drinking brownish liquid,........it's just sweet tea. Yep, I drink sweet tea from a low-ball glass. Yes, I do.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    I drink my secret brown liquor by secret method. I don't tell anybody because people got these ideas about what they think is right and wrong and what's better and what they'd never do, so if you ever see me drinking brownish liquid,........it's just sweet tea. Yep, I drink sweet tea from a low-ball glass. Yes, I do.
    I can't get into sweet tea... okay... no one yell at me.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:

You anti-American, commie destroyer...what, sweet tea? That actually sounds pretty good. Hot or iced?
  • Options
    raisindot:
    Bob Luken:

You anti-American, commie destroyer...what, sweet tea? That actually sounds pretty good. Hot or iced?
    Us New Englanders don't know nothin' about sweet tea...
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    For the record: All Scotch is Whiskey (or Whisky, as they spell it in Scotland) but not all Whiskey/Whisky is Scotch. More on the specifics if you want.

As for how to drink it, it's all up to you. If you prefer it chilled, chill it. If you prefer it with ice, pour it over ice. If you prefer it neat, drink it neat. If you prefer a splash of water, throw a splash of water in there. If you like to soak dirty underwear in your Scotch and then ring the dirty underwear into your glass, have at it.

At the risk of sounding too elitist, it bothers me when people tell other people how to drink Scotch "the proper way." Everyone has their method. I argued with a buddy once because he said he dipped his finger in water and flicked it at his glass from across the room and that's all he needed to open up his Scotch. In reality, Cellar Masters and Master Blenders typically dilute their dram quite a bit. When tasting from the cask, they will add up to 1/3 water in order to allow all of the subtleties underneath the alcohol burn to come out. Flick water at that.

One tip I will give about drinking spirits (not so much wine or beer) is to put your tongue under the glass as to not let the spirit hit the tip of your tongue first, but rather move to the middle of your tongue. Hold the sip there for a moment and then let it dissipate across your pallet. Doing this will allow you to taste more of the notes in the spirit without the burn of the alcohol.

Cheers!
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    For the record: All Scotch is Whiskey (or Whisky, as they spell it in Scotland) but not all Whiskey/Whisky is Scotch. More on the specifics if you want.

As for how to drink it, it's all up to you. If you prefer it chilled, chill it. If you prefer it with ice, pour it over ice. If you prefer it neat, drink it neat. If you prefer a splash of water, throw a splash of water in there. If you like to soak dirty underwear in your Scotch and then ring the dirty underwear into your glass, have at it.

At the risk of sounding too elitist, it bothers me when people tell other people how to drink Scotch "the proper way." Everyone has their method. I argued with a buddy once because he said he dipped his finger in water and flicked it at his glass from across the room and that's all he needed to open up his Scotch. In reality, Cellar Masters and Master Blenders typically dilute their dram quite a bit. When tasting from the cask, they will add up to 1/3 water in order to allow all of the subtleties underneath the alcohol burn to come out. Flick water at that.

One tip I will give about drinking spirits (not so much wine or beer) is to put your tongue under the glass as to not let the spirit hit the tip of your tongue first, but rather move to the middle of your tongue. Hold the sip there for a moment and then let it dissipate across your pallet. Doing this will allow you to taste more of the notes in the spirit without the burn of the alcohol.

Cheers!
    Bandyt09 likes this^ (the information) Bandyt09 also likes rum (the drink)
  • Options
    Unicorn:
    raisindot:
    Bob Luken:

Iced of course. We hardly ever drink hot tea 'round here. Unless yer sick or sumthin'. I have a cheap 12 cup coffee maker dedicated just to making sweet tea. Two "family sized" teabags in the basket and you just run some well water through it and add a half cup sugar or more if you want it sweeter. Then you let it cool. "What's that you say? You ain't got no well water?" Well,.........If it's city water you need to filter that crap. Ya' gotta have good water or it ain't gonna be right.
  • Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    No sugar in mine please, just plain strong iced tea, maybe a cut of lemon now and then :P
    I use an iced tea maker - add ice, water and 8 Lipton tea bags, and 5 minutes later a great gallon of nice dark ice tea :D
  • Options
    honorknight7:
    No sugar in mine please, just plain strong iced tea, maybe a cut of lemon now and then :P
    I use an iced tea maker - add ice, water and 8 Lipton tea bags, and 5 minutes later a great gallon of nice dark ice tea :D
    Yeah it's good un-sweet too. As long as it's fresh it's good either way but it's hard to add sugar after it's cooled.
  • Options
    Unicorn:
    raisindot:
    Bob Luken:

Kiddo, we're the ones who threw all of these chests of East Indian tea into the Harbor back in 1773. We know sumpin' 'bout tea up here.
  • Options
    raisindot:
    Unicorn:
    raisindot:
    Bob Luken:

Kiddo, we're the ones who threw all of these chests of East Indian tea into the Harbor back in 1773. We know sumpin' 'bout tea up here.
    I bet "harbor tea" tastes baaaaaaaaad :P
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    raisindot:
    Unicorn:
    raisindot:
    Bob Luken:

I bet "harbor tea" tastes baaaaaaaaad :P
    Actually, up here it's "hahbeh tea."
  • Options
    Oh well, good point there! I love tea. I've been sucked into the Teavana downward spiral.
  • Options
    If you're a fan of Teavana, try Adagio.com. They're fresher, cheaper and shipping is reasonable and I usually receive my order within a 2-3 days. Been a long-time customer of Adagio, shopped Teavana once......once.
  • Options
    bandyt09:
    Bandyt09 likes this^ (the information) Bandyt09 also likes rum (the drink)
    And thank you, Bandy! We've had some good conversations about Rum. Did I ever mention the Dos Maderas 5+5? Fantastic stuff if you can find it.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    honorknight7:
    Yeah it's good un-sweet too. As long as it's fresh it's good either way but it's hard to add sugar after it's cooled.
    "un-sweet" tea....

gotta bust your chops for that one, Michael
    LOL

fast forward to about 1:55

"i'd like a plain iced tea"
    "you mean unsweetened"
    "no i mean plain, because there's no fvcking thing as unsweetened iced tea! what kind of a$$hole sugars a beverage, then takes the sugar back out again! how do you even do that? show the machine that unsweetens the tea!!"

/threadjack

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *