Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Resurrecting the MYSTERY STICK game

Comments

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here you go. My 3 are on the way to you. 9114 9011 2308 6690 2315 23
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    avengethis:
    Awesome! Thanks for the update. I'll probably get to number 3 tomorrow.
    Nice job Brad!!!!! Way way cool John love this game and wish I could join in just so erratic on when I can smoke now I knew I couldn't participate in a timely manner.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    avengethis:
    Nice job Brad!!!!! Way way cool John love this game and wish I could join in just so erratic on when I can smoke now I knew I couldn't participate in a timely manner.
    Come on get in on it. We need some more participants.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    avengethis:
    90+ Irishman:
    avengethis:
    I can send and get another person started
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    avengethis:
    90+ Irishman:
    avengethis:
    I could always send to you once I get mine and then you could send to John or whoever wants to go next. It's up to John since I am suppose to send to him next.
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    blutattoo:
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    avengethis:
    90+ Irishman:
    avengethis:
    I could always send to you once I get mine and then you could send to John or whoever wants to go next. It's up to John since I am suppose to send to him next.
    I dont wanna receive just send. Im no where near good enough to identify a cigar. Just if someone else wants to get in we can have 2 people going at once
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    Mystery Stick C tonight

Paired with some Zaya and Coke

Cigar looks like a nice maduro wrapper in a 5x54 robusto size. The initial smell coming off this stick is a nice light chocolate aroma. The first few draws are a very light smooth draw with tough to pick out flavors for me. It seems like it might be a little hint of oak. After about an inch I'm starting to get an actual pleasant little bitterness out of the smoke. I can't get over how easy of a draw and how clean, even burn this stick is giving me. Even though I am struggling with the flavors it is a very enjoyable smoke. Nice thick, creamy smoke. I'm going to continue smoking this one and I'll report back with some sort of a guess. I'm thinking this one might be a shot in the dark though as I have no clue.

Now that I am half way through this think I know I have smoked it before and It is killing me that I can't put my finger on it. I feel like I have smoked it multiple times as well.

My Guess - Brick House Maduro
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    Landed today, thanks for the tag alongs. I love that SOA and have only tried 1 Quesada before and it was good. I'll smoke #A tomorrow. I'm going out of the country Saturday so I'll try and get them all in before I go. I'll get my mystery sticks in the mail either tomorrow or Wednesday.
  • Options
    blutattoo:
    Landed today, thanks for the tag alongs. I love that SOA and have only tried 1 Quesada before and it was good. I'll smoke #A tomorrow. I'm going out of the country Saturday so I'll try and get them all in before I go. I'll get my mystery sticks in the mail either tomorrow or Wednesday.
    Ahh I checked out your profile and I saw you were looking to try a SOA and I assumed Sons. Maybe you got one already since it was last updated. Enjoy though sir.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    avengethis:
    Mystery Stick C tonight

Paired with some Zaya and Coke

Cigar looks like a nice maduro wrapper in a 5x54 robusto size. The initial smell coming off this stick is a nice light chocolate aroma. The first few draws are a very light smooth draw with tough to pick out flavors for me. It seems like it might be a little hint of oak. After about an inch I'm starting to get an actual pleasant little bitterness out of the smoke. I can't get over how easy of a draw and how clean, even burn this stick is giving me. Even though I am struggling with the flavors it is a very enjoyable smoke. Nice thick, creamy smoke. I'm going to continue smoking this one and I'll report back with some sort of a guess. I'm thinking this one might be a shot in the dark though as I have no clue.

Now that I am half way through this think I know I have smoked it before and It is killing me that I can't put my finger on it. I feel like I have smoked it multiple times as well.

My Guess - Brick House Maduro
    Brad, again nice write up and I dig the picture.
    You're pretty darn tootin' close on the guess, and I'd bet you have had this before.....
    Mystery stick C was **Ramon Buseo Genesis the Project**

Thanks again for playing brother and for getting this kicked off; I hope you had fun!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    blutattoo:
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    avengethis:
    90+ Irishman:
    avengethis:
    Are you talking about sending to me, Jason?

I will certainly play if there's no other takers, just so we can keep things going....but I would LOVE TO SEE SOMEONE ELSE get in on this

IRISH, SHADOW, ETC --- COME ON FELLAS!!!!
    Step on up to the plate.
    Who cares if you "don't have the best palette" I didn't get a single guess right when I played this lol but it was still fun. I did discover a new fav from this game, it was a cigar i probably would have never tried otherwise.
    If you need a couple extra days to smoke them, don't sweat it since there's not a huge line of people waiting to go next....so who wants to go?

• Options
    Ok, smoked this one on my morning walk.

Size 5x50? I have a question mark there since the foot of the cigar appears to have a slightly larger ring gauge. I'm not certain if this is intentional or not.

Wrapper definitely a connie(I think). Pre light smell is earthy with a hint of dry grass. Pre light draw is great with a unique mineral taste to it. Toast and light with torch. First impressions this is a very mild cigar. Mild strength and mild flavor. I get a very light floral note, along with the mineral quality that was there on the initial draw. The earthen mineral notes that are in the first third almost reminds me of a cuban in the way they really have a distinct taste that only they have. This is a unique flavor profile.

Through the second and final third I get fleeting notes of musk that is common in AVO's and Griffin's. Some strength has shown up, but it is still mild-med. Burn and smoke output have been spot on. Based on the size I am going to have to guess a Foundry. Although if you told me it was an AVO I wouldn't be surprised either.
  • Options
    blutattoo:

Size 5x50? I have a question mark there since the foot of the cigar appears to have a slightly larger ring gauge. I'm not certain if this is intentional or not.

Wrapper definitely a connie(I think). Pre light smell is earthy with a hint of dry grass. Pre light draw is great with a unique mineral taste to it. Toast and light with torch. First impressions this is a very mild cigar. Mild strength and mild flavor. I get a very light floral note, along with the mineral quality that was there on the initial draw. The earthen mineral notes that are in the first third almost reminds me of a cuban in the way they really have a distinct taste that only they have. This is a unique flavor profile.

Through the second and final third I get fleeting notes of musk that is common in AVO's and Griffin's. Some strength has shown up, but it is still mild-med. Burn and smoke output have been spot on. Based on the size I am going to have to guess a Foundry. Although if you told me it was an AVO I wouldn't be surprised either.
    Great right up and You should have went with AVO. It is an XO. Damn good analysis though sir.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    avengethis:
    blutattoo:

Great right up and You should have went with AVO. It is an XO. Damn good analysis though sir.
    I knew it! Damn, I think it got slightly box pressed in transit and that different size made me think of those weird sizes the Foundry's have. I should have known that taste is unique to them. Kicking myself cuz that's probably the easiest I'll get.
  • Options
    nice write up jason. you and brad are killin' it with the close guesses, you guys are good.

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    blutattoo:
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    avengethis:
    90+ Irishman:
    avengethis:
    Are you talking about sending to me, Jason?

I will certainly play if there's no other takers, just so we can keep things going....but I would LOVE TO SEE SOMEONE ELSE get in on this

IRISH, SHADOW, ETC --- COME ON FELLAS!!!!
    Step on up to the plate.
    Who cares if you "don't have the best palette" I didn't get a single guess right when I played this lol but it was still fun. I did discover a new fav from this game, it was a cigar i probably would have never tried otherwise.
    If you need a couple extra days to smoke them, don't sweat it since there's not a huge line of people waiting to go next....so who wants to go?
    John I would love to honestly but I get in maybe 3-4 sticks a month so I would never be able to get to this in a timely matter at all. And Cael's therapist appointments are ramping up to 2-3 a week now and a ton of testing and other stuff. I want to do this bro but life simply ain't gonna let me for some time now, things are about to get painfully tight and stressed. Thanks for the thought though brother ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Mystery Stick #2

Size 5.6x42 corona is my guess. Wrapper is a maduro I believe. Smell was mostly damp earth with a hint of black pepper. Straight cut with my Colibri cutter. Cold draw was flawless with just the right amount resistance. Fired this up on my morning walk with my trusty jet flame.

Initial impressions are immediately a chewy buttery leather followed by fresh cracked pepper. I'm not sure I've smoked this before, because that salty initial taste seems like I would remember it. It is very pronounced. The pepper hits and lingers a bit, but this is not the kind of stick that will blow my palate for the rest of the day. It is a solid medium body, but full flavored.

Throughout the stages this has burned perfectly. No touch ups were needed and the smoke output was fantastic. It is burning a little quickly which should make this about a 1hr smoke. In the second and third stages the cigar has stayed very consistent with it's original impressions. The more I smoke this the more I'm reminded of southern grits. Buttery, salty, meaty, with fresh cracked pepper. Given the wrapper I would have thought I would get some sweetness, but I couldn't detect any. The strength did ramp up a bit at the end, but still med-full at most.

I could be way off here, but I'm going to guess Cohiba Black. It did remind me a bit of the MOW little devil, but with less pepper.
  • Options
    blutattoo:
    Mystery Stick #2

Size 5.6x42 corona is my guess. Wrapper is a maduro I believe. Smell was mostly damp earth with a hint of black pepper. Straight cut with my Colibri cutter. Cold draw was flawless with just the right amount resistance. Fired this up on my morning walk with my trusty jet flame.

Initial impressions are immediately a chewy buttery leather followed by fresh cracked pepper. I'm not sure I've smoked this before, because that salty initial taste seems like I would remember it. It is very pronounced. The pepper hits and lingers a bit, but this is not the kind of stick that will blow my palate for the rest of the day. It is a solid medium body, but full flavored.

Throughout the stages this has burned perfectly. No touch ups were needed and the smoke output was fantastic. It is burning a little quickly which should make this about a 1hr smoke. In the second and third stages the cigar has stayed very consistent with it's original impressions. The more I smoke this the more I'm reminded of southern grits. Buttery, salty, meaty, with fresh cracked pepper. Given the wrapper I would have thought I would get some sweetness, but I couldn't detect any. The strength did ramp up a bit at the end, but still med-full at most.

I could be way off here, but I'm going to guess Cohiba Black. It did remind me a bit of the MOW little devil, but with less pepper.
    Close but the wrapper is not quite dark enough to be a Cohiba Black. The correct is a Padron 3000 (one of my favorite regular smokes)
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    avengethis:
    blutattoo:
    Mystery Stick #2

Close but the wrapper is not quite dark enough to be a Cohiba Black. The correct is a Padron 3000 (one of my favorite regular smokes)
    First Padron 3000 I've ever smoked. Jim sent me a 6000 last year I think, but there was no way I would've got that one. I'm surprised a little that it didn't taste more like the 1964 corona. The amount of pepper was nearly identical though and the way it didn't cling to your palate was very similar. I agree great stick.
  • Options
    Dup post
  • Options
    Cigar #C

Size 5.5 x 54ish Box Press

Wrapper appears to be a Maduro or Colorado. Initial smell was different than I expected based on its appearance and feel. It was very much dry grass with not much else. My son gave me the start of a cold so my nose is bit stuffed up which may have something to do with the lack of pre-light smell. The feel of the cigar was dense. It is one of those cigars that feels heavy for its size. I smoked this on my morning walk and I knew I’d have to double the length of my walk based on how long I thought this would last.

Initial taste was a combination of black and red pepper, with a hint of sea salt and damp earth. The pepper lingered and the mouth feel was what you would feel like with red pepper flakes on your pizza. It was just a tad bit above med-full in strength and flavor. Burn was wonky almost the entire smoke and it required frequent touch ups. Luckily this didn’t really effect the flavor.

The second and third stages brought a welcome transition of flavors away from the predominant pepper, to a meld of roasted nuts, black coffee, and leather. The pepper was still present on the finish, but it was accompanied by a touch of sweetness that I couldn’t quite name. Strength has stayed a solid med-full.

If this had stayed with the initial flavor profile I would have got bored pretty quickly, but the transition of flavor without getting bitter made it a cigar I would seek out again. Easily a 2hr smoke if you take your time, for me it was an 1.5hr and I didn’t quite nub it.

I am in between a couple of different guesses, the 5 Vegas Triple A or the 601 Blue Maduro. I’m gonna say the 5 Vegas.
  • Options
    blutattoo:
    Cigar #C

Size 5.5 x 54ish Box Press

Wrapper appears to be a Maduro or Colorado. Initial smell was different than I expected based on its appearance and feel. It was very much dry grass with not much else. My son gave me the start of a cold so my nose is bit stuffed up which may have something to do with the lack of pre-light smell. The feel of the cigar was dense. It is one of those cigars that feels heavy for its size. I smoked this on my morning walk and I knew I’d have to double the length of my walk based on how long I thought this would last.

Initial taste was a combination of black and red pepper, with a hint of sea salt and damp earth. The pepper lingered and the mouth feel was what you would feel like with red pepper flakes on your pizza. It was just a tad bit above med-full in strength and flavor. Burn was wonky almost the entire smoke and it required frequent touch ups. Luckily this didn’t really effect the flavor.

The second and third stages brought a welcome transition of flavors away from the predominant pepper, to a meld of roasted nuts, black coffee, and leather. The pepper was still present on the finish, but it was accompanied by a touch of sweetness that I couldn’t quite name. Strength has stayed a solid med-full.

If this had stayed with the initial flavor profile I would have got bored pretty quickly, but the transition of flavor without getting bitter made it a cigar I would seek out again. Easily a 2hr smoke if you take your time, for me it was an 1.5hr and I didn’t quite nub it.

I am in between a couple of different guesses, the 5 Vegas Triple A or the 601 Blue Maduro. I’m gonna say the 5 Vegas.
    Fantastic write up again sir. Both are very good guests but not exactly right. It's an Alec Bradley Tempus Maduro. Another good sick.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    Just saw these are on the daily deal today. Heck of a coincidence. I've never had one before, but I'm gonna pick up a 10 pack. Can't beat this for $3 a stick. I also read the description and it was spot on.
  • Options
    John we didn't really get any response, so I put it in the mail to you today. I'm leaving until the 6th so I didn't want this to just sit for the next week. If you wanna wait until til I get back to smoke them you might find another taker and you could just forward it to them.
  • Options
    BUMP
    blutattoo:
    John we didn't really get any response, so I put it in the mail to you today. I'm leaving until the 6th so I didn't want this to just sit for the next week. If you wanna wait until til I get back to smoke them you might find another taker and you could just forward it to them.
    Jason, sounds good. Safe travels bro.
    I'll be on the lookout for your package, I'll give it a few days to see if anyone wants to jump in and if so I'll forward your package to them.

Come on folks!
    Who wants to get in on this and try to guess some mystery sticks???

(If nobody jumps on this by, umm how about Easter, I'll put fire to them next week and just pick out a few new sticks to send to the next person.)

• Options
    the package arrived safely yesterday.

if anyone wants to jump in i'll happily forward to you; i guarantee there will be a few "extras" in it for you.

• Options
    BUMP

I'll be going to the PO next week .... anyone want to play?

ANYONE, ANYONE?
    BUELLER, BUELLER?

• Options
    Bump
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Hey, glad to see this game back up! I really enjoyed the first one around, but I´d be hard-pressed to join in this time; I´m way out of date on releases post-2012, and I´d TOTALLY be able to mess with your guesses having a totally different market to buy from here. Looking forward to following along though, hope more people jump in on this one! Even to the guys who don´t feel confident enough to be able to guess correctly, let me tell you: this is a GREAT learning exercise, and games like this can do wonders for your palate development.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    blutattoo:
    Bump
    thanks for the bump jason.

i have not put fire to the ones you sent me yet .... (yes i know breaking my own rules and going past the timeline sorry) .... was waiting for you to get back and seeing if anyone else wants in.

if no one jumps on this by tomorrow (Thurs) night, i will put fire to the first one you sent then.
    Hays:
    Hey, glad to see this game back up! I really enjoyed the first one around, but I´d be hard-pressed to join in this time; I´m way out of date on releases post-2012, and I´d TOTALLY be able to mess with your guesses having a totally different market to buy from here. Looking forward to following along though, hope more people jump in on this one! Even to the guys who don´t feel confident enough to be able to guess correctly, let me tell you: this is a GREAT learning exercise, and games like this can do wonders for your palate development.
    +1 totally agree.