Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Resurrecting the MYSTERY STICK game

Comments

• Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel said:
    I'm like a kid on Christmas morning.  Except in reverse.  I tried not to make this too hard, and am curious how the cigars will be reviewed.

lol, I think that this ^^^^ is one of the best parts of this game!
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Slight delay on this. Working on putting together a 1st birthday party Friday for the wee man then have a wedding to go to Saturday. On a short leash so to speak haha
  • Options
    Mystery stick A

Paired with delicious golf course water jug water. 

Sunday morning bright and early I found myself on the golf course, which seemed like a fine time to fire up the first mystery stick. 

It looks like a pretty standard robusto vitola roughly 5"x50 with a Connecticut wrapper. Cold draw offered a faint barnyard aroma that seemed familiar. I used a Colibri grip cutter and Black Ops triple flame torch to light. 

Initial draws were filled with grassy/hay flavor that I recognized immediately. I've had this cigar numerous times before and have a handful of them in my humidor. This stick is kind of a one note song throughout, albeit a pretty good one. I probably could have gleaned a bit more flavor-wise but have been dealing with some allergies as of late.

Construction was very good and the burn maintained a straight edge throughout. It did require one relight due to operator error. 

Guess: 5 Vegas Gold Robusto
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭

pelirrojo said:
    Mystery stick A

Paired with delicious golf course water jug water. 

Sunday morning bright and early I found myself on the golf course, which seemed like a fine time to fire up the first mystery stick. 

It looks like a pretty standard robusto vitola roughly 5"x50 with a Connecticut wrapper. Cold draw offered a faint barnyard aroma that seemed familiar. I used a Colibri grip cutter and Black Ops triple flame torch to light. 

Initial draws were filled with grassy/hay flavor that I recognized immediately. I've had this cigar numerous times before and have a handful of them in my humidor. This stick is kind of a one note song throughout, albeit a pretty good one. I probably could have gleaned a bit more flavor-wise but have been dealing with some allergies as of late.

Construction was very good and the burn maintained a straight edge throughout. It did require one relight due to operator error. 

Guess: 5 Vegas Gold Robusto
    Hmm, I thought this had a lot more flavor than the 5V, albeit some flavors I tend to not like.  But, since this Perdomo Lot 23 has more age on it than any other one I've smoked, maybe it's mellowed.  I tried to pick a stick that isn't completely uncommon.  Good write up. 
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Dang, I was almost certain. I have not had a Perdomo Lot 23 before. Maybe the allergies are wreaking a bit more havoc than I thought. It was a good cigar though. I enjoyed it. Thanks. Hopefully I'll get to "B" soon. 
  • Options
    brodskalesbrodskales Posts: 78
    That idea's hella dope. I'm gonna pass but I can endorse this ****.
  • Options
    Mystery stick "B" 

Paired with a little Highland Park 12 over ice. 

5x50ish with a rusty brown wrapper and a slight box press 

The cigar smelled similar to the pachyderm exhibit at the zoo prior to lighting. 

The first third was dominated by spicy notes making it fairly unpleasant to retrohale. 

The middle third mellowed some to expose a more woody profile still with some underlying spice. 

The final third returned to more spice and the complexity that existed has disappeared. 

The box press helped narrow the number of cigars to choose from when making my guess. 

I'm going with the Alec Bradley Prensado Robusto on this one. 
  • Options
    Did you have burn problems?  Prensado's always have for me so I wouldn't have guessed that unless it was the case.  I do see some similarities with the AB and this cigar, although I actually like the Prensado flavor profile a little better.  Still, because they always plug, I'll choose the Oliva Master Blends III over the AB just about any day.

0 for 2, but good guesses.  I was happy just to get close on one.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Ahh man I forgot all about the MB3 being box pressed. The smoothness of the wrapper made me think Oliva but it didn't seem to be dark enough to me. Kind of a reddish hue to the wrapper.  I did have a little bit of trouble with the burn after the first ash at 1" or so, but it went away fairly quickly. 

Dang I'm 0 for 2... Now I need to find enough time to smoke the behemoth that is "C" haha 
  • Options
    I should be getting to mystery stick "C" this weekend. If the next person would like to volunteer, step right up.  
  • Options
    Might take you all weekend.  I know I gave you an "all day sucker" for stick C!  I don't want to give you any clues but there's a reason I gave you a big one.

• Options
    A gordo for Gordon?
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice guesses Gordon.
    Have you have a chance to get to stick 3 yet, @pelirrojo ?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Not yet unfortunately. Going to try to get to it soon. I do need a volunteer for me to send to in the meantime though. 
  • Options
    pelirrojo said:
    Not yet unfortunately. Going to try to get to it soon. I do need a volunteer for me to send to in the meantime though. 
    cool.
    maybe we can get one of the newer guys to jump in.

• Options
    Working on cigar "C" right now. I'm like an hour into this beast and might be halfway done haha. Will post review and guess probably tomorrow afternoon after field work. Really need a volunteer for the next in line. I'll make it worth your while! 
  • Options
    pelirrojo said:
    Working on cigar "C" right now. I'm like an hour into this beast and might be halfway done haha. Will post review and guess probably tomorrow afternoon after field work. Really need a volunteer for the next in line. I'll make it worth your while! 

if no one else wants to play, i'll be your huckleberry gordon.

i leave for vacation next week and would love to take some mystery sticks along.  and i know i'll actually have some time to kick back and smoke them.

i leave early friday morning; think you can get them to me by next thursday? 
    if not, i'll certainly still play if no one else wants in -- but won't get to them until i return.

• Options
    I bet I could make that happen 
  • Options
    pelirrojo said:
    I bet I could make that happen 
    :+1: 
    aweseome, lookin' forward to it. 

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Mystery stick "C"

About 6.2(5)x60. I actually measured length with a ruler and it not being 6" helped narrow the choices down a bit.

Paired with Rolling Rock, which sadly is not as good as it used to be. Thanks Anheiser-Busch.  

I typically shy away from cigars this large, but seem to enjoy the ones that I have had. 

Wrapper appears to be a maduro with consistent color throughout and is slightly rough to the touch, but not what I would call toothy. Looking at the foot filler leaves appear lighter near the center and darker near the binder/wrapper. 

I cut with a double blade guillotine and lit with a triple flame black ops torch. 

I initially expected some spice and more of a full bodied cigar, but was pleasantly surprised to get almost no spice and more of a medium bodied, easily retrohaled cigar. This also helped narrow down the choices. 

Burn maintained a fairly straight edge throughout and construction proved to be of high quality. 

I kept getting little hints of chocolate/cocoa, not sweet or bitter but somewhere in the semi-sweet realm as well as an overall earthiness to the cigar. Flavor remained fairly consistent throughout the cigar only growing in intensity as the cigar got shorter. No spice or harshness ever showed up during the 2+ hour smoking time. 

My guess is a Brick House Maduro Mighty Mighty(Gordo).

Thanks @Martel for the opportunity to do this. It was a fun challenge. Sorry I took so long to complete the task. 

Post edited by pelirrojo on
  • Options
    Looks like you were enjoying it with that grill!  I'm glad you enjoyed.

This was a Ramon Bueso Genesis the Project Muy Bueso.  I really like the Robusto and Toro, but this one seems to lose something.  It's not a problem since I don't smoke this size much, either, but I really wanted to see what someone else thought.  It seems drastically different from the smaller sizes. 

This was a lot of fun.  Perhaps more fun to watch you guess than it was to smoke mine.  That was kind of stressful.

• Options
    Definitely different than the smaller sizes, less concentrated flavor and less strength, I think. I like the smaller vitolas too but haven't had one in a while. @jgibv your package is headed out today. I'll get the DC# up when I have it.
  • Options
  • Options
    @pelirrojo
    mystery sticks arrived safe & sound along with the body guards!
    thanks gordon!

i've loved everything illusione i've smoked; never had the singulare before though so i'm pumped to try it. 
    and it's been a long while since i had a mi barrio, i thought they stopped making these? old school DPG, i'm down with that. 

and the mystery sticks look & smell great as well.
    thanks brother! looking forward to them all.

will probably fire up the first mystery stick on saturday or sunday. 
    stay tuned........

• Options
    Great, glad they arrived safely. I believe the Singulare is a 2011 and the Mi Barrio should be 2008 or 2009. Some nasty cellophane on that bad larry. Looking forward to your reviews/guesses. I'll be in Colorado for a golf tournament this weekend so I may not respond right away. 
  • Options
    Smoked "A" earlier.  Familiar but can't quite put my finger on it....will transfer my notes to this thread and post up a guess tomorrow. 

• Options
    Mystery Stick "A" from @pelirrojo

Size: Approx
    5.25x48
    Appearance: beautifully constructed, flawless wrapper. Rich deep brown colored wrapper, not very oily considering the dark color. Finished with a well done triple cap.
    Pre light aroma: a sweetness similar to hot cocoa powder and not much else.

First half impressions:
    The dominant flavor throughout the first half was a bold, rich, mouthwatering tobacco flavor.  The other flavors mentioned below came & went but always took second to the tobacco flavor.
    A hint of dark fresh ground espresso beans showed up for the first inch or so, then transitioned to a dry woodiness that I can only describe as sawdust. It reminded me of running the miter saw with the garage door closed in the winter time and kicking up too much dust.  Then came a light airiness texture followed by a fresh ground black peppercorn flavor that grew stronger as I approaxhed the half way mark.

The burn was razor sharp and the cigar was putting out big clouds of white smoke the whole first half.

Second half impressions:

You'll notice in the background I had a visitor at this point.

The peppercorn continues to build and overtakes the tobacco flavor as number one. 
    I notice the smoke is getting hot and the burn is getting slightly uneven, hmm. Am I puffing to fast? Ok, slow down for a minute & reset.

The hotness is gone and burn seems to have corrected itself, good.  Now what am I tasting behind that peppercorn?.... fresh baked wheat bread, yes and it's mouthwatering. 
    The wheat bread takes over for a bit then as I near the end the tobacco flavor returns along with a sweet muskiness, like being in the forest on a dewy cool fall morning.
    As I approach the end I get dry hay and maybe fresh dirt.

Smoked it down until I burnt my fingers.  This was a good smoke, seems like I've smoked it before but can't quite put my finger on it.

Maybe a JDH reserve? No I don't think so.....

Perhaps a DE Undercrown? Idk if it's that one either.....

Man this is tough. Maybe i
    havent had it before....idk how about if I gotta guess I'll go Undercrown but I don't think that's correct.

• Options
    Mystery stick "B" from @pelirrojo ;

Size 5x50
    Nice reddish brown wrapper, some slightly darker brown "spots" throughout.1 small blemish towards the cap (maybe was a tear or hole) in the wrapper, looks like it was patched up during rolling. Otherwise it looks and feels well constructed.

Flavors---
    This one was  mild and smooth the whole way.  
    A dry smoke the entire time with lots of white smoke.  
    Pretty even burn despite it being rather windy outside.

In the first half I got some dry straw/hay, reminded me of my the smell in my in-laws old barn.  Also picked up some kind of mild (not aromatic) hardwood (maple? oak? maybe, hard to say).
    Also a slight spiciness on the tip of the tongue.

Passing the halfway point the mildness keeps up, I swear I taste some fresh-made homemade pizza dough too.  And maybe some fresh baked French bread, mouthwateringly yummy.  The cigar stays mild to the end with the wood notes returning as I approach the nub.

Guess---This is a tough one......pretty sure it's a Dominican.  Don't think I've smoked it before though or else I'd guess davidoff 3x3....but I don't think that's it.

So I'll guess it's maybe one of the Caldwell line; what are his mild smokes?  Gibraltar maybe?  I'll go with that......

(Sorry only got 1 pic, battery was dying)

• Options
    Nice reviews and guesses. "A" was a Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial Robusto and "B" was an Illusione 88. Looks like you're enjoying vacation. 
  • Options
    I almost guessed DPG for A but it didn't have that typical spice.  Never had the Jamie before but that makes sense.

Don't think I've had the 88 before (never had the Gibraltar I guessed it was either lol)...wouldn't have pinned it is a Nicaraguan though, real mild.

i did start a new allergy medicine (Flonase) last week, wonder if that's throwing me off