Resurrecting the MYSTERY STICK game

Comments

• Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent review, it was a Man O' War.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Dang this is hard, well at least my taste buds are not as far off as I thought they might be :) While smoking this I kinda thought I should know what it was, I am probably over thinking this a bit. I don't remember the MOW being this good!
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm in.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Dang this is hard, well at least my taste buds are not as far off as I thought they might be :) While smoking this I kinda thought I should know what it was, I am probably over thinking this a bit. I don't remember the MOW being this good!
    This is what I enjoyed about it.  There is no subconscious opinion on the quality or taste of the stick going in.  You taste and enjoy it for exactly what it is.  
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options

Okay, mystery stick C, 6x52 

This stick has a very rugged rustic look and feel to it as well as a very pungent aroma. My other half says it smells like a combination of an old horse barn and my work boots, this means I'm probably gonna like it!

Not a lot of taste from a lick on the cap, just a very light pepper. A single cut with a v-cutter produces a draw that is just right and spicy, I knew I was gonna like this! I scorched this with my triple flame just a bit so the first draw is a burnt coffee taste, my bad.   

The first 3rd is spice and cedar with some light coffee notes showing up towards the 2nd, the spice starts to fade around the halfway mark, it doesn't go away it just moves into the background and the cedar takes on a more generic woody taste. There is a very distinct change going into the finial 3rd I'm not sure what it is other than something slightly sweet, Anise maybe?

I'm going to guess this is the JDH.

Whatever it is I know I have smoked a few of these and like it!  

• Options
    First, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks an unlit cigar smells like old horse barn :) Again, great write up! The cigar was...a Romeo Y Julieta Media Noche. Hope you enjoyed!! 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    I did enjoy it, the spice/cedar in the first 3rd has a really good balance and the change going into the finial 3rd is a very pleasant surprise. I will wrap this up this evening and get a SFR. off to Martel.   I stink at this game! :/
  • Options
    I received the package today and got so excited, I couldn't wait to let the cigars rest at all.  I smoke mystery stick A.

It's a 5x48ish cigar with a slightly ruddy tinge to the mottled brown wrapper.  There are some visible seams and veins which are also noticeable to the touch.  There's some tooth on the wrapper and a slight oily sheen, but not much.  There's a slightly rough look to this overall.  It smells of hay and wood chips.  The cap tastes like chalk when I lick it.  After a guillotine cut, the draw has a slight chocolate taste with a heavier note of black licorice.

The initial flavor after a slow toast with a fireplace match is burnt popcorn.  Going into the first third after it warms up, I notice that the foot smoke smells better than the taste of the drawn smoke.  There's a sour and leather taste that skates being unpleasant.  I get a very slight pucker on the tongue and throat.  The retro is black pepper and vanilla.  The ash holds strong and is nearly white but with dark grey flecks and some rings of almost black.

The second third increases the chalk taste/feel.  There's a nice incorporation of something reminiscent of sour cherries.  The ash holds strong and the burn line is straight once it does fall shortly before the halfway mark.

I got interrupted in the final third when my landlord dropped by unexpectedly, but the flavors were continuing to develop.  This cigar did seem to smoke on the hot side, but it also seemed to want to go out if I smoke it any slower.

I'm a little stumped by this.  It kind of has some Perdomo notes and some Tat notes.  However, after some google searching, I'm going to guess that this is a Crowned Heads J.D. Howard Reserve HR48.  I might be way off, but it had some notes that reminded me of the Jericho Hill, and the appearance seems to match.  I've never had one so this is a complete guess.

Thanks for the game!  This is going to be fun.

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options

Mystery stick B 5x52

A nice looking stick with a slightly mottled dark wrapper that has a bit of a rough feel to it. The pre-light aroma and lick is rather neutral, a hayfield maybe. V-cut and toasted with a triple flame desktop. 

The first 3rd is a nice light pepper/spice and wood notes, going into the 2nd I can pick up espresso and a very light sweetness, toffee maybe, I'm not sure could be fruit. The final 3rd is mostly woody with the espresso floating in and out.

I'm going to guess it's the E.P. Carrillo Cardinal. That's what it reminds me of anyway.    

Sorry about taking so long to get to this it's been a kinda stressful crappy week which makes it hard to focus.  

• Options

Mystery stick B 5x52

A nice looking stick with a slightly mottled dark wrapper that has a bit of a rough feel to it. The pre-light aroma and lick is rather neutral, a hayfield maybe. V-cut and toasted with a triple flame desktop. 

The first 3rd is a nice light pepper/spice and wood notes, going into the 2nd I can pick up espresso and a very light sweetness, toffee maybe, I'm not sure could be fruit. The final 3rd is mostly woody with the espresso floating in and out.

I'm going to guess it's the E.P. Carrillo Cardinal. That's what it reminds me of anyway.    

Sorry about taking so long to get to this it's been a kinda stressful crappy week which makes it hard to focus.  

Oh no, I may have screwed this up :( I didn't notice on the last one that you smoked C and not B. Ok, B was the RyJ Media Noche. C was the Four Kicks, which means you were pretty close on that!

I'm sorry I botched it!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Edna20 said:

Mystery stick B 5x52

Oh no, I may have screwed this up :( I didn't notice on the last one that you smoked C and not B. Ok, B was the RyJ Media Noche. C was the Four Kicks, which means you were pretty close on that!

I'm sorry I botched it!

Well that makes me feel a little better anyway, Lol
  • Options
    Martel said:
    I received the package today and got so excited, I couldn't wait to let the cigars rest at all.  I smoke mystery stick A.

It's a 5x48ish cigar with a slightly ruddy tinge to the mottled brown wrapper.  There are some visible seams and veins which are also noticeable to the touch.  There's some tooth on the wrapper and a slight oily sheen, but not much.  There's a slightly rough look to this overall.  It smells of hay and wood chips.  The cap tastes like chalk when I lick it.  After a guillotine cut, the draw has a slight chocolate taste with a heavier note of black licorice.

The initial flavor after a slow toast with a fireplace match is burnt popcorn.  Going into the first third after it warms up, I notice that the foot smoke smells better than the taste of the drawn smoke.  There's a sour and leather taste that skates being unpleasant.  I get a very slight pucker on the tongue and throat.  The retro is black pepper and vanilla.  The ash holds strong and is nearly white but with dark grey flecks and some rings of almost black.

The second third increases the chalk taste/feel.  There's a nice incorporation of something reminiscent of sour cherries.  The ash holds strong and the burn line is straight once it does fall shortly before the halfway mark.

I got interrupted in the final third when my landlord dropped by unexpectedly, but the flavors were continuing to develop.  This cigar did seem to smoke on the hot side, but it also seemed to want to go out if I smoke it any slower.

I'm a little stumped by this.  It kind of has some Perdomo notes and some Tat notes.  However, after some google searching, I'm going to guess that this is a Crowned Heads J.D. Howard Reserve HR48.  I might be way off, but it had some notes that reminded me of the Jericho Hill, and the appearance seems to match.  I've never had one so this is a complete guess.

Thanks for the game!  This is going to be fun.

I totally get the chalk reference with these as well as the "pucker on the tongue and throat" I thought maybe  it was just me. It gets much worse when paired with coffee.

This is the Don Carlos Reserva Superior Limitada

• Options
    Mystery stick 'B'

I feel like I should know what this is.  It's a 5.25x50 or 52.  My rg measuring app is imprecise.  Last stick gave me a 48, but it was a 50.  I calibrated and got 52 with this one, but it seems 50ish.  I'm going with 52 though.

The wrapper on this cigar is a lighter brown with hints of ruddiness. It smells strongly of floral, musk, and hay.  The lick is mild and doesn't give me much, but the draw is intensely musky.  I'm immediately thinking Kelner.  Avo or Davidoff.

The first third is fantastic.  Musk dominates the profile.  It is incredibly smooth with a long, floral finish.

In the second third, the burn gets a bit wonky, and so do the flavors.  Super vegetal.  Some vinegar.  The cigar is harsh, and I start to feel a gut punch, too.  Uh, oh, are you trying to slip a Perdomo Lot 23 in on me?  I don't think so, because I got some flavors I've never noticed from those, but I'm feeling a bit like those make me feel.  That and this was over the Perdomo's 5 inches.

In the final third I finally touch-up the burn, but probably could have done it earlier.  Flavors improve and some musk returns, but everything else is muddy.  I feel like my palate is shot now.  After finishing it, my mouth still tastes green bell pepper.

I'm stumped here.  I haven't had one, but I'm going to guess a Davidoff Winston Churchill Statesman, and just figure my tasters took the night off to some extent.

• Options

I totally get the chalk reference with these as well as the "pucker on the tongue and throat" I thought maybe  it was just me. It gets much worse when paired with coffee.

This is the Don Carlos Reserva Superior Limitada

Never had one of those, but that surprised me, by the way. 

• Options
    Martel said:
    Mystery stick 'B'

I feel like I should know what this is.  It's a 5.25x50 or 52.  My rg measuring app is imprecise.  Last stick gave me a 48, but it was a 50.  I calibrated and got 52 with this one, but it seems 50ish.  I'm going with 52 though.

The wrapper on this cigar is a lighter brown with hints of ruddiness. It smells strongly of floral, musk, and hay.  The lick is mild and doesn't give me much, but the draw is intensely musky.  I'm immediately thinking Kelner.  Avo or Davidoff.

The first third is fantastic.  Musk dominates the profile.  It is incredibly smooth with a long, floral finish.

In the second third, the burn gets a bit wonky, and so do the flavors.  Super vegetal.  Some vinegar.  The cigar is harsh, and I start to feel a gut punch, too.  Uh, oh, are you trying to slip a Perdomo Lot 23 in on me?  I don't think so, because I got some flavors I've never noticed from those, but I'm feeling a bit like those make me feel.  That and this was over the Perdomo's 5 inches.

In the final third I finally touch-up the burn, but probably could have done it earlier.  Flavors improve and some musk returns, but everything else is muddy.  I feel like my palate is shot now.  After finishing it, my mouth still tastes green bell pepper.

I'm stumped here.  I haven't had one, but I'm going to guess a Davidoff Winston Churchill Statesman, and just figure my tasters took the night off to some extent.

Well your defiantly in the right neighborhood, 'B' is the AVO Domaine.

I haven't tried the RG App. but it might be closer than you think, I use a brass caliper to check RG sometimes and very seldom does it match what the cigar is 'listed' as, it makes me wonder if that is the size of the mold and when they add the wrapper you get the extra thickness. 

• Options
    Hmm, I was considering that, but it's listed as 5 inches, and I measured twice before cutting once and clearly got 5.25 both times.  I guess I need to take measurements with a grain of salt all around.  It definitely had Kelner written all over it at the beginning.  I wonder if there was just something up.  It was raining lightly when I smoked it, and the burn was strange in that middle third and flavors were gross.  The first third was exquisite, though.

I'll get to stick C soon, but need to know who's next?  Anyone game for some blind sticks?

• Options
    Mystery Stick 'C'

5.5x50 cigar.  Maybe 52 rg.  Who knows at this point.  This cigar isn't very pretty.  It's lumpy and dull brown.  There is some tooth on the wrapper.  Light squeezes reveal it's firm in spots and soft in others.  It smells of hay and cocoa.  The cap tastes of yeast, cocoa, and cayenne.  After a guillotine cut, the draw is mostly cocoa and caramelized sugars. 

The initial puffs are nothing but lots of pepper.  As it mellows, the pepper is joined by leather and wood.  The smoke is acrid, hitting in the back of the mouth and top of the throat.  There are some lemon notes in the retro along with a chocolate malt impression.  In the mouth, I'm noticing a strange flavor which reminds me of a deep breath of summer night air when the kids have been playing with sparklers.

In the end of the first third and through most of the second this got really good.  Even in the first and final thirds when there were some unpleasant pieces, they kind of worked together to make an interesting package.  The burn was never even, but it never needed touch-ups, either.  I did have to puff a little extra in a couple of spots which may account for some of the off flavors, but the touch ups could have had a similar effect. 

Something about this cigar says A.J. to me.  Could it be a Man O' War?  There were some things leaning me toward DPG or Pete Johnson, but I really think this felt a bit like an AJ cigar.  MOW Robusto fits, although I don't think I've had the plain old blend of this before.  I'll say, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the farthest away I am on any of these guesses.  There's a lot of sticks I looked at for consideration.  A ton of budget sticks I've never had and a few premium sort of fit the bill.

• Options

Mystery stick C is the Torano 1916. I've picked up on the citrus although I've never put a specific flavor to it, lemon fits. 

• Options
    I would never have guessed it, but it makes sense.  I never looked at Torano, even though it was kind of the budget-friendly market I was considering guessing.  Too many brands, and even though I've smoked several Toranos, I can't say as I remember anything distinctive between blends to mark them as a Torano, other than they're generally "good for the money".  With that taken out of the equation by this sort of review, it just confirms what I've generally got from them.  Good, but not premium, and you'll have to put up with some issues in construction and aesthetics.

Okay, who's next?  Come on y'all!

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just catching up on this thread.  great reviews all around.  

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv said:

I was thinking of asking if you wanted it to circle back around...

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel said:
    jgibv said:

I was thinking of asking if you wanted it to circle back around...
    hmm, maybe later on (i'm pretty busy & not sure how much free time i'll have until the end of july & wouldn't want to hold this up...)

i'd love to see someone new jump in ...... 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I want to see Bob Luken or Ryan Young get on here, or Doug.  Bob and Puff would be awesome to hear from.  Ryan, if you want to do it, I promise I won't send you three Olivas.

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @youngryan216 see above post.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Oh, yeah.  I was just too lazy to tag, earlier.  How's about it @Bob_Luken or @Puff_Dougie ?  Blind reviews anyone?

• Options
    Mystery Stick Mystery Package again? :smiley: 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Hey, @pelirrojo , since you have more time, you want in on this?

Congrats, by the way, on the promotion and raise stuff.

• Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Sure! My guesses will almost definitely be wrong, but it sounds like fun haha. I'll pm you my address. Thanks for the consideration @Martel
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    My mystery sticks arrived. I'll try to get to the first one this weekend. 
  • Options
    I'm like a kid on Christmas morning.  Except in reverse.  I tried not to make this too hard, and am curious how the cigars will be reviewed.