Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Resurrecting the MYSTERY STICK game

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Three required arrived along with a MF and Jalapeno. Thanks! I work thew next three days, but should have this wrapped up in about a week.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edna20:
    jgibv:
    LOL, got a couple good chuckles from this review - great write up Kelly.
    Thanks for playing and hope you enjoyed this smoke.

This was a Four Kicks by Crowned Heads, one of my current favs.

Sorry about the wrapper/construction issues, I've had the same problem with these a couple times before. These come packaged without cellophane so it's possible it was "beat up" in transit somewhere along the way.

Huh, what's weird is that I smoked a Four Kicks last week or the week before and added it to the get more list! Maybe the different vitola made the difference. Now I'm going to have to get more to see! My humidor is also on the low rh side, so that probably didn't help the wrapper issue. Thanks for letting me join in on this, was interesting. Can't wait to see Rain's reviews and guesses. His package should arrive later this week. Sorry for the slight hold up in the action.
    could be the vitola.
    that's happened to me before with a few different brands, where i will absolutely love a certain vitola and put it on the "want a box list" but then dislike a different vitola and put it on the "never again list"

thanks again for playing. and can't wait to see what rain comes up with!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Works been cray. Hitting up A tonight, then B and C on the 8th. Heading to the PO soon, who wants to go after me?
  • Options
    I hate this game. Stick A. Have not smoked in about two months, excluding the Texas herf so it was nice to get back at it. Prelight smell screamed Nicaragua, and the wrapper did not have any major veins. Did not measure, but this looked like a 6 x 60. Slightly tight draw, but not horrible...nothing a poker did not fix. First third started out mild with some wood and spice but that picked up. Second third was a bit more intense with the same flavors, and the final third was a bit harsh...which was probably my fault for smoking it too fast. Overall it was average, not horrible not great. Like I said, I really think I smoked it a tad fast and kind of muddled the flavors. It really really really reminded me at times of a watered down Ruination, which is one of the few AJ sticks I'm not cray about. So...with that being said, I'm going to guess.....Alec Bradley Black Market. image
  • Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, this game is tough! It was a 6x54, I hate 60 RG so I wouldn't do that to anyone :) It's been a while since I had one, I should've smoked one to have a better recollection. Anyway, it was a Sons of Anarchy. For a cheap smoke that I think you can usually get for $3 a stick, I've really enjoyed them. I wanted to see what an unbiased opinion of them would be. Which was pretty much on par with the price point I think. Well done!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Rain:
    I hate this game.
    Is all the hate because it was not a MOW (FTW)....?

• Options
    Will be on B if this clears up...image
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Rain, is it precipitating still where you are? Been raining here all week. Makes me feel a bit sad for the folk in Cali, being all all dried up.

How's the forecast look for tonight? Hoping for clear skies and a write up on B & C (grins)

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    jarubla:
    Hey Rain, is it precipitating still where you are? Been raining here all week. Makes me feel a bit sad for the folk in Cali, being all all dried up.

How's the forecast look for tonight? Hoping for clear skies and a write up on B & C (grins)

-Jay
    Not good. We've had a really rainy past months, tonight is more of the same with some nearby tornado landings. Second call for who wants next up.
  • Options
    Rain:
    Will be on B if this clears up...image
    do i need to send you an umbrella?

;-) lol

edit: oh no i feel like an a$$. i see your other post saying there's tornado sirens. $hit man that's no good. stay safe bro.

• Options
    Hah, you're good man. It was like 40 miles away...but it's still too dang close!
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    After I move into the new house on May 30th, I'm going to have to try this thing...
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    What's the status update on this Randy @Rain ??

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully this is not dead.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    If someone else wants to volunteer, I'll send out 3 more mystery sticks sometime this week! Or maybe I'll pick a mystery participant for the mystery stick game and they won't know they're playing until the sticks arrive :)
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mystery bombing mystery sticks sounds like a great idea, in my nonprofessional opinion.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edna20 said:
    If someone else wants to volunteer, I'll send out 3 more mystery sticks sometime this week! Or maybe I'll pick a mystery participant for the mystery stick game and they won't know they're playing until the sticks arrive :)

I like this idea, Lol
  • Options
    Edna20 said:
    Very cool Kelly.  Generous offer, hopefully that'll get this rolling again. 

And I like the mystery stick bomb idea, LOL.
    I bombed Brett @90+_Irishman some "mystery sticks" in the last package I sent him but don't think he's smoked them yet :'(

And last, do any of you guys talk to Randy @Rain
    Haven't seen him around in a while, hope all is ok.

• Options
    Whomever would like to go next please PM me. I've not been around at all since pretty much the forum update. Working killer hours and just no time to smoke. Sorry for dragging the game down. Like I said...someone PM me and I'll get something out to you.
  • Options
    @Rain glad to see everything is ok! If you don't get any takers by tomorrow, I'm going to send out a mystery stick package to a mystery target :smile: Hopefully whomever I pick will go along with it!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Round and round it goes, where it lands nobody knows...

Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This should be fun. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    I just hope the recipient isn't too bummed, it's a lot of pressure especially if you didn't sign up!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, if whoever goes next is game, I'm finally receiving mail at the new address and would like to try this here blind tasting thing.  As an added bonus, that individual will be the first to get said new address. :#
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Martel said:
    Well, if whoever goes next is game, I'm finally receiving mail at the new address and would like to try this here blind tasting thing.  As an added bonus, that individual will be the first to get said new address. :#

Haha, I was going to make you the mystery recipient but wasn't sure if anyone had your new addy yet :) If my mystery recipient doesn't want to participate, then I'll shoot you off another set!!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options

Kelly's Box of Mystery...no wait, that doesn't sound right. Let's just call it Mystery Mayhem is out for delivery today. To the recipient, if you do not wish to participate I am perfectly ok with that. You can just PM me and I'll get another mystery set of sticks out to Martel!! Enjoy!!!

Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    This is what I get for opening my mouth, Of course I'll play, ought to be for a laugh at any rate! I still think the Mystery box Idea was a good one even if it did backfire! I will fire up 'A' after diner in a bit and let you know what I think it might be. I should be able to wrap this up this weekend. @Martel are you on deck? need that addy!
  • Options
    Yay! Thanks for being a good sport Nathan!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options

Okay here goes,

Mystery stick A, 6.5x50 with a nice sheen on the wrapper. light pepper and oily on the lips, the pre-light draw is hay, pepper and something sweet, cheery maybe? There is a lot happening in the first third, spicy and nutty with hints of sweet. Some light coffee / espresso and leather notes in the 2nd third. Very good smoke output and an almost perfect burn all the way through. 2.5 hours burn time with about two inches left. I have no idea what this is, it's like a cross between the Matilde and El Centurion, very good. My best guess would be the Ortega series D Black.      

• Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Just from the flavors it sounds like it could be a Cigar that Kelly and I talked about recently. One that has a follow up coming out later this year. 
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29