Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Resurrecting the MYSTERY STICK game

Comments

• Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, not even close! Probably get the last one next weekend. Whose up next? I am going on vacation on the 25th, and would like to ship before that. Not sure if I'll be able to ship if its after that until Feb 15th. How about you @CharlieHeis ? It's fun, and makes you contemplate the sticks more than you normally would! So far i'm 0 for 2, you couldn't be worse than that!
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I can fail just as good as you. Send them out Charlie.
  • Options
    Ok, probably go next Saturday. I know I should have your addy, but please PM it to me just in case! Thanks!
  • Options
    Mystery Stick C! Very enjoyable cigar! A little spice, maybe leather. Retro hale is smooth. My first guess would be A J Fernandez New World? Thanks Gordon! @pelirrojo This was fun! Charlie Heiss is up next! Shipping this morning.image
  • Options
    On its way Charlie! 9505500009476023000010. @CharlieHeis
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    "C" was a La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor Belicoso. Thanks for playing @cbuck. It's just as much fun sending someone some mystery sticks as it is smoking and guessing.
  • Options
    Thanks Gordon! It was fun! Makes you contemplate as you smoke them! Something I don't do! Usually after I pick out of my Humi, I don't even think about it as I smoke them! Slows you down, and lets you appreciate it more. @pelirrojo
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I'll try to get to at least one of these this weekend. Shouldn't be much to worry about from shipping this time of year, right? I always think of the heat in the summer really being more of a problem than the cold. I haven't smoked anything ROTT in quite a while. 
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    They should be good! They have been in my humi for a couple of months. Saturday to monday really shouldn't affect them much. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Ok let's get this started. Cigar A. image
  • Options
    About an inch in and I'm thinking there is a definite tobacco taste. Unsure of country of origin. Has an unfamiliar taste on the finish. Maybe a slight citrus and a tangy quality. I am not good at this.
    Getting into the second third and there's still a tobacco taste. More taste up front than on the finish. Cedar. The tangy finish is gone. 
    Going into the last third. Ashed on my shirt. Just a little bit sweet and a little spice creeping into the retrohale. Very tasty. Spice picked up a bit and then was gone. Still sweet. And an interesting flavor that I can't place.
    I really didn't recognize this cigar and my guess will be laughable. I'm not even sure of the wrapper. Yeah I'm that bad at this game.
    Nat Sherman?

• Options
    ChazMNChazMN Posts: 53 ✭✭
    About an inch in and I'm thinking there is a definite tobacco taste. Unsure of country of origin. Has an unfamiliar taste on the finish. Maybe a slight citrus and a tangy quality. I am not good at this.
    Getting into the second third and there's still a tobacco taste. More taste up front than on the finish. Cedar. The tangy finish is gone. 
    Going into the last third. Ashed on my shirt. Just a little bit sweet and a little spice creeping into the retrohale. Very tasty. Spice picked up a bit and then was gone. Still sweet. And an interesting flavor that I can't place.
    I really didn't recognize this cigar and my guess will be laughable. I'm not even sure of the wrapper. Yeah I'm that bad at this game.
    Nat Sherman?

I like your review, "Ashed on my shirt" Iol'd at this. :)
  • Options
    A good guess! But not correct! It was a DPG Cuban Classic robusto! 
  • Options
    I wasn't good at it either! I got 0 out of 3! But it was fun !
  • Options
    Wow, I never would have guessed a Pepin. Did that one have some age on it? I've had one, thought it was a little harsh, and decided to give the other couple I have a long nap. 
  • Options
    Got it at a local b & m. Not sure on the age. I had it probably 3 months. They are a favorite.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice write ups @cbuck ; and @CharlieHeis ; glad to see this is still going.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Thanks! Good to see you back!
  • Options
    Ok let's make a feeble attempt at this again. I'm skipping ahead to stick C because it's early and this looks like a Connecticut wrapper. @cbuckimage
  • Options
    After the first third I'm thinking this is not a regular conny. This was sweet note for a brief time and a little spicy. There is still a slight sweetness on the lips and maybe way in the background but there's a fair amount of spice here. I'm thinking this is possibly an Ecuadorian Connecticut or a habano variation of some sort. The sweetness came back a bit briefly but is gone going into the final third. Not a lot of changes other than that. I don't smoke a lot of connies, so my mind keeps going to the one that I smoke most often, the MOW Virtue. But I don't think that's what it is with that sweet note in there. I'm stumped. I'll guess the San Cristobal Elegancia. 
  • Options
    Who is next on this? I've been too slow getting these done so I should get a package sent out.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @CharlieHeis, any chance that is a Cameroon wrapper? They tend to have a nice sweetness and it looks about right. Was it a really thin wrapper?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlz said:
    @CharlieHeis, any chance that is a Cameroon wrapper? They tend to have a nice sweetness and it looks about right. Was it a really thin wrapper?
    It very well could have been. I'm horrible at this game.
  • Options
    @CharlieHeis just pulled into CT from vacation. As soon as I get my humidor unpacked, I'll let you know what it is! My cheat sheet is in there. I looked at B this morning, but your not following the rules! Lol! 
  • Options
    cbuck said:
    @CharlieHeis just pulled into CT from vacation. As soon as I get my humidor unpacked, I'll let you know what it is! My cheat sheet is in there. I looked at B this morning, but your not following the rules! Lol! 
    I didn't know going in order was one of the rules. Also, rules were made to be broken.
  • Options
    Kidding! I break rules all the time! Anyway, it was a Ramon Bueso Odysee! It is a CT wrapper, and I would say it is close in flavor to an Elegancia! You getting closer than I did!
  • Options
    cbuck said:
    Kidding! I break rules all the time! Anyway, it was a Ramon Bueso Odysee! It is a CT wrapper, and I would say it is close in flavor to an Elegancia! You getting closer than I did!
    Cool, I have one or two of those that Rodger sent me. I liked it as it wasn't as boring as some connies can be with my lack of a palette.
  • Options
    Who is next on this? I've been too slow getting these done so I should get a package sent out.
    Bump. Anyone?
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump. Anyone?
    If no one else steps up, I'll volunteer as tribute so we can keep this going. 

No rush though, I have a busy week and will be out of town this upcoming weekend.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Ok, Let's try this again. This is the last one @cbuck sent me. This is a corona sized, fairly dark brown, very nice looking cigar. Nothing really jumps out after the first few puffs. Nearly an inch in and the spice is picking up. This has some ligero in it, for sure. Probably Nicaraguan, at least some components. Or not, I'm really not good at this. There is some cedar in here, and an earthiness underneath some other flavors, though that may be short-lived. The spice is the most dominant characteristic. Some would say this is not a well balanced stick, but I typically like these.
    In the second third there is something else coming in that I can't put my finger on. The spice is down a bit but still there. I'm getting more cedar now. This is where a guy with a better palate would be able to describe some other flavors. 
    Middle Tennessee is really giving Michigan State a run for their money. 15/2 Upset brewing.
    The spice came back a little bit going into the final third and is quite prevalent but still pleasant. Able to retrohale most of this cigar, except for a bit in the first third. More balanced with the other flavors now than earlier. Wish I could tell you what those flavors actually are. 
    Forgot to take another picture until I was almost done. Great construction and even burn throughout.
    I'm going with my original guess as a Nicaraguan. I'm going to say it is a Man O War Little Devil. 
    imageimageimage