Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Resurrecting the MYSTERY STICK game

Comments

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And who is next? Don't let my inept attempt at a blind review dissuade you from trying this. It was still fun and a good way to try a stick with no preconceived notions because of the band. 
  • Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, Mr. "I'm no good at this", you got it! Nice! It is a MOW Little Devil! Thanks for playing! I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did.
  • Options
    I can't take full credit for this one. The cap looked like you removed the pigtail to throw me off. That made me think  it was something I had had before and was definitely one of the reasons I guessed what I did. image
  • Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't remove it intentionally! Must have fallen off on the trip! Still a difficult thing! Your one better at it than I was'
  • Options
    And who is next? Don't let my inept attempt at a blind review dissuade you from trying this. It was still fun and a good way to try a stick with no preconceived notions because of the band. 
    Bump.

Anybody? How about @avengethis@Usaf06, or @Puff_Dougie. If not it's back to Gibby.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm good fit right now. Somebody needs to get in on this right @Patrickbrick
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump.

Anybody? How about @avengethis@Usaf06, or @Puff_Dougie. If not it's back to Gibby.
    yeah come on slackers!!!!  get on this! 

if you don't get any takers, that sounds good @CharlieHeis ; send it my way

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Anybody want to try? 

@jgibvI can get this together this weekend if no one else bites. 
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody want to try? 

If nobody wants to volunteer, I will be your huckleberry.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will not play this game.  My review would read some thing like, I liked it, I think its this.  No one wants to read that crap, oh wait sorry. 

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Guitarded said:
    Anybody want to try? 

If nobody wants to volunteer, I will be your huckleberry.
    Addy up.
  • Options
    Sorry I'm so damn slow @Guitarded.

• Options
    No problem Charlie. It must have taken a while to dig out from what those noobs did to you. Looking forward to trying this. I just hope you were gentle. LOL
  • Options
    Arrived today. Looking forward to this and you really need to work on your math skills Charlie!! TY M
  • Options
    edited April 2016

I apologize for the delay, work and stuff, and wanted a clean palate for this.

Mystery stick A

4 1/2 by 46? Petite Corona

Wrapper is dark chocolate color but not black like a maduro. Corojo?

Almost seamless and very small veins, triple cap, beautiful!

Foot feels firm, but the rest of the cigar has the right amount of give to the touch.

Prelight the aroma is like an old barn, but a clean old barn. Almost like an antique store, musty and old wood. After cutting the draw has just the right amount of resistance and tastes a bit of leather and spice.

A slow toast and the first few draws are great. Leather, spice, and smooth aged tobacco flavors dominate. Tons of smoke and a slightly flakey ash.

One touch up after first third and the flavors mellow a bit. Flavors are rich, but not too overpowering. More leather, less spice. The ash falls on its own. Smoke stays warm but not hot on the palate.

Spice flavors return with the final third and leather flavors more intense. Smoke gets warmer down to the nub (thanks @stubble).

Overall a very enjoyable little cigar. I would definitely smoke many more of these!!

My guess is from My Father. DPG or Jaime Garcia??

Thank You @CharlieHeis

P.S. My first written review and not as easy as I expected. 

Post edited by Guitarded on
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very well written Mike!
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have a way with words sir
    That was a great review 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    Good guess. Partial credit given as it is a My Father Le Bijou 1922. Nice review.
  • Options

Thank you to @charlieHeis, @wylaff, and @johnnyB.

My wife walked by as I was struggling with the keyboard and asked if she could help, as I never learned to type, so my method is not hunt and peck but seek and thump. I explained to her that I would rather pave a driveway than have to write a paper in school. It has always been difficult to put my thoughts into words so your comments are greatly appreciated.

Two more reviews to go!!

• Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done Mike. Hats off for trying this,  I wouldn't dream of it. 
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well done Mike
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Mike
  • Options
    Bump for @danielzreyes Got any Opus?
  • Options
    Where we at on this? 

Is it still with @Guitarded ?

Did you ever finish the mystery sticks?  Did I miss your guesses?

• Options
    This is still on me. Only had time for 1 try, have been busy and wanted a clean pallet to do this right. I will get focused on this!
  • Options
    Sounds good @Guitarded .... now that temps are warming up across the US, I'm hoping folks will be able to get out & enjoy some cigars and we can get some more interest in this. 

• Options
    I did not forget about it. I may take it too seriously, I should just enjoy the cigar and guess what it is. Not attempt to review it. Leave that to the professionals!!
  • Options
    Guitarded said:
    I did not forget about it. I may take it too seriously, I should just enjoy the cigar and guess what it is. Not attempt to review it. Leave that to the professionals!!
    @Guitarded ; correct the review doesn't need to be taken too seriously, and you don't need to write a novel for review. 

just a short, few sentences, mini-review and a picture or 2 will suffice....per the game rules outlined in the OP.

jgibv said:

Step 3...
    Receiving person smokes cigars, posts up a mini-review, and guesses what they are.
    (I would like to see them smoked & guess/review posted within 10 days of receiving package, so we can keep the game moving along).

• Options
    Stick B
    5x50 robusto 4 caps!!!
    Beautiful dark red wrapper
    Prelight draw has perfect resistance
    Spicey but not overpowering.
    Lots of rich smoke. Well constructed. Even burn.
    My guess is DPG Legado de Pepin.
    Thanks @charlieHeis
    Promise to get this moving again.image
  • Options
    Sorry I missed this earlier @Guitarded. That was an Oliva V.