Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Resurrecting the MYSTERY STICK game

Comments

• Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    These arrived safely yesterday. I'll go ABC left to right. Thanks for the extras Brad!
  • Options
    I'll get to these when I return from my trip for Thanksgiving Brad.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to rack my brain now.  My wife threw the bands out of what I sent you.  I know what A and C are but I am struggling to remember what B is.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to rack my brain now.  My wife threw the bands out of what I sent you.  I know what A and C are but I am struggling to remember what B is.
    Take a shot... it'll come to you.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    I found it. I know what they all are now. Good luck Gordon
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Just checking in @pelirrojo have you had a chance to have any of these yet?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    Not yet. I'm going to try to get to a couple of them over the next couple days. Looks like some warmer weather in my near future. It has just been too cold.
  • Options

@avengethisI smoked cigar "A" last night. It was a roughly 5 5/8" by 46 corona gorda. 

The wrapper was fairly dark and toothy. Burn was pretty straight and other than a slightly tight draw, construction was pretty flawless. The foot smelled of barnyard. 

The cigar was medium in body throughout and was smooth enough to be retrohaled pretty regularly.  No spice or pepper ever appeared, but i got notes of semisweet chocolate and leather. Overall a very enjoyable cigar. 

I'm guessing it was a crowned heads la imperiosa. 
  • Options
    Very good.  You are correct.  I have found the draw to be on the tighter side as well.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Any progress on B or C @pelirrojo
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    Sorry I've been slacking. I'm headed to Phoenix for the rest of the week so I'll smoke them in the warmth of the Arizona desert. 
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Stick "B" 

6"x54 Belicoso with a somewhat rounded cap and a fairly light, very smooth habano wrapper. The cigar feels heavy in hand despite about a day of dry boxing. 

I got quite a bit of spice in the first half inch or so, but that calmed down after about an inch leaving woodsy/earthy notes to dominate. 

I am going to guess that this is an Ave Maria St. George. It tastes like an AJ stick and I am enjoying it on my free day off work. Thanks @avengethis

With an action shot because I know you want to see my pretty face
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bearded gingers everywhere...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Very nice review again however this one you did not get correctly.  This was the Herrera Estelli Belicoso.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Smoking stick "C" right now. 

6" x 52ish toro with a dark brown, toothy, veiny wrapper. It has some red to it in the sunlight. 

This is a good cigar, but I have no clue what it is. It has some familiar notes in the flavor profile, but I can't really put my finger on who might have blended it. Leaning towards Oliva or maybe Crowned Heads, but really have no clue.  It started with a little bit of a sour feeling in my mouth, but that may have been from the coffee. I switched to water and that went away for the most part. I get a leathery woody flavor and the cigar has remained about medium strength through the first half. I can tell the strength is moving toward full as I go on. Flavor has remained pretty constant throughout. I'm starting to get some cocoa and spice in the last third. Definitely some spice on the retrohale also.

Burn is even and construction is pretty flawless. No touch ups or relights necessary. 

Another great cigar @avengethis. I'm going to guess it is a JD Howard Reserve HR52. 

Thanks for letting me play. Sorry it took me forever. Now I need a volunteer to recieve. 

• Options
    Glad this one stumped you,  It was a Liga No 9.  Definitely a great cigar.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Dang it! That was one of the options I was considering. The uneven, sort of mottled color to the wrapper was pointing me in that direction as I know Drew Estates does some funky stuff with their wrapper leafs. It put out a ton of smoke too. The big vein threw me off though. I have only had one other No. 9 before, but I knew it tasted familiar. The Hererra Esteli was a new one to me as was the La Imperiosa. I'm happy to have guessed one out of three and really it was just a lucky guess on the La Imperiosa. 

Fun stuff. Who's up next? 
  • Options
    Bump. Who wants to play? 
  • Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a shot at it if no one else will Gordon! I'll pm you my address. Thanks!
  • Options
    From @pelirrojo for the Mystery Stick Game! And look, 2 extras fell in the box. Thanks Gordon! Sorry about the poor photography!image
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I look in this thread from time to time. I wouldn't have the palate to play without making a fool of myself. Not sure if I had seen anyone guess correctly before. Nice job @pelirrojo
  • Options
    I may be worse at it than you think you would be! We'll see! @CharlieHeis Maybe you should be next?
  • Options
    Charlie you don't have to be good at it, I'm not that great either but it is interesting to smoke a stick that you have no preconceived notions about with seeing a band or knowing the brand.  I believe Mr. Pelirrojo and I are the only two to get any right.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cbuck said:
    I may be worse at it than you think you would be! We'll see! @CharlieHeis Maybe you should be next?
    No, thank you. I still consider myself a newb. I'll let you know when I'm ready @cbuck haha
  • Options
    This game is so much fun. As Brad said, it really lets you pay attention to the cigar itself and not what you expect from that little piece of paper wrapped around it. I think everyone should give it a try. I really hadn't smoked much as of late and it kind of rekindled that fire so to speak. Of course it didn't hurt that he sent me some fantastic sticks that made me want to brave the elements! Looking forward to your reviews and guesses @cbuck take your time, lord knows I did...
  • Options
    I may be worse at this than I thought, but here goes! Mystery Stick A. Oily wrapper, solid construction, only needed one touch up about halfway point. Maybe a little cocoa, and leather on the first 2 thirds. Spice picked up in the last third. Very solid, enjoyable smoke, but not an award winner. I would guess PDR, Selection 2010? How about it @pelirrojoimage
    image.jpeg 1017.6K
  • Options
    Incorrect unfortunately. "A" was an Undercrown. Good guess though. 
  • Options
    Drew Estate would have been my second choice, but the Nica Rustica, not Undercrown! Oh well. Probably get B in tomorrow morning at work. Thanks Gordon!
  • Options
    On to Mystery Stick B! This is tougher than I thought! Preflight draw gives very little flavor. After lighting, the first third gives a slight sweetness, but retro is a little harsh. Mostly tobacco flavor, not much spice. Sweetness picks up on second and last third, retro smooths some. I'm going to guess Ashton Aged Maduro. Thanks @pelirrojo , this is fun! imageAnd for the record, Cain F would be second guess!
    image.jpeg 1012.6K
  • Options
    "B" was an El Centurion.