Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Resurrecting the MYSTERY STICK game

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm good point, will have to try doing some google power searches and see what I can find. Thanks for the idea :)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    @90+_Irishman, welp i think you're right its definitely not the supershot.....

surrogates tramp stamp? maybe.  i know i had a handful of those at one point in time....

otherwise, the only other closed foot cigar that i know with 100% certainty that i've had in my possession is the camacho PE, but it's got a pigtail cap so that's not it. 

i suppose it could be just about anything.....i couldn't tell you half of the cigars that are in my humi right now, let alone something i had over a year ago.....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    No worries at all John, to be honest this is my fault and no one else's for letting this go on so long without getting to the mystery sticks so I do apologize brother @jgibv thank you very much though!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tramp stamp is much skinnier.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    @90+_Irishman , brett you're taking the "mystery" stick game to a whole different level here lol

• Options
    I know I know, worthless sorry!!!

Brett
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    I got the mystery sticks and a couple extras from Michael @Guitarded yesterday. 
    Thank you brother! 
    And please tell me about these Ezra Zion smokes, I haven't kept up with their offerings lately.

Also, I could not wait to get this started so I fired up Mystery Stick **A** this morning, great smoke!

It seemed to be about a 5x50 robusto, and was a very nice looking cigar. 
    Flawless construction, no blemishes or damage on the outside, and a consistent deep-reddish-brown hue from top to bottom.
    The pre-light aroma was leather and hardwood with a hint of sweetness (maybe honey?)

The flavors were pretty dang consistent throughout the 1.5 hour smoke, and I picked up oak, cedar, terra firma, and an aftertaste of sweet caramel sauce. 

The burn stayed razor sharp and the construction was top notch, this cigar did not require any touch-ups.  I would certainly smoke this one again.

I'm not sure I've had this one before, and am scratching my head trying to figure out what it could be. 
    The closest thing I can think of is the PSD4, but, IIRC, the PSD was a much drier smoke than this and I don't remember a sweetness with the PSD. 

But, since I can't come up with anything else, I'll guess Partagas Serie D No. 4 for Mystery Stick A

I apologize for the delay as I needed my annual "therapy". 2 week as of fishing and golf at my in-laws cottage on Lake Huron in Canada! 
    Stick A was an Ezra Zion All My Exes. Glad you liked it. 
    The bodyguards are from the cigar war release a few months ago. I liked the Chris, and his cigar did win the war. 
    Time for stick B! 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    Guitarded said:

I apologize for the delay as I needed my annual "therapy". 2 week as of fishing and golf at my in-laws cottage on Lake Huron in Canada! 
    Stick A was an Ezra Zion All My Exes. Glad you liked it. 
    The bodyguards are from the cigar war release a few months ago. I liked the Chris, and his cigar did win the war. 
    Time for stick B! 
    @Guitarded , no need for apologies, i hope you had a great trip! 
    how'd the fishing go up there; did you eat fresh fish all week?

and thanks for the info, i've only had a couple ezra zions before, so these are a nice treat.

yes i will smoke B and C this weekend and get my guesses posted up.  sorry for the delay, been busy!

and who wants to go next?
    i'll get your package around this weekend; and ship on monday.

• Options
    @Guitarded ;

Alright lit up B and C the past couple days.  Liked em both but couldn't quite put my finger on what they were.  Sorry the descriptions aren't as "in depth" this time around, was taking notes on my phone so here's what I got....

**B**

Stick B --- 6x48

--- Flavors ---
    --Start--
    Hay/grassy
    Chewy nuttiness (cashew?)
    Toast
    Slight black pepper
    Creaminess 
    Dry wood (cedar?)
    -- Finish --
    Hmm kind of remind me of an AVO but it didn't have that signature "muskiness" to it.  Really Not sure on this one but I'll guess AVO, can't come up with anything else.

**C**

Stick C -- 6x50

--- Flavors ---
    -- Start --
    Cocoa
    Pepper
    Leather
    Earth
    Tobacco
    Leather
    -- Finish --

I'm thinking this could be an aged DPG smoke.  Kind of reminded me of a LE Bijou 1922, been a while since I smoked one of those, but that was the first thing that came to mind so I'll go with that.

• Options
    Good job John, I enjoyed the read and suspect you may be close on a few of these, love the game and keep up the good work!

Brett
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    @Guitarded ;

Alright lit up B and C the past couple days.  Liked em both but couldn't quite put my finger on what they were.  Sorry the descriptions aren't as "in depth" this time around, was taking notes on my phone so here's what I got....

**B**

Stick B --- 6x48

--- Flavors ---
    --Start--
    Hay/grassy
    Chewy nuttiness (cashew?)
    Toast
    Slight black pepper
    Creaminess 
    Dry wood (cedar?)
    -- Finish --
    Hmm kind of remind me of an AVO but it didn't have that signature "muskiness" to it.  Really Not sure on this one but I'll guess AVO, can't come up with anything else.

**C**

Stick C -- 6x50

--- Flavors ---
    -- Start --
    Cocoa
    Pepper
    Leather
    Earth
    Tobacco
    Leather
    -- Finish --

I'm thinking this could be an aged DPG smoke.  Kind of reminded me of a LE Bijou 1922, been a while since I smoked one of those, but that was the first thing that came to mind so I'll go with that.
    Stick B was an Ave Maria aged about a 18 months.

Stick C was a  Tatuaje Tatoo. 

Thanks for playing. Don't let this end. I enjoyed it. 

Short reviews and a good guess is all you need to play! 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Guitarded said:

Stick B was an Ave Maria aged about a 18 months.

Stick C was a  Tatuaje Tatoo. 

Thanks for playing. Don't let this end. I enjoyed it. 

Short reviews and a good guess is all you need to play! 
    dang i've smoked plenty of those ave maria's before, don't know how i missed that one.  i don't know if any of the ave maria's i've smoked have had that much age on 'em, this one definitely lacked that distinct "AJ spice".

and i guess i was partially correct on the tattoo; since i believe dpg had a hand in creating this stick, and i know it's produced at his old factory.  i've only had maybe 1 or 2 of these tattoos before.

thanks again for the good selection @Guitarded , i enjoyed it!

soo....who would like to go next???!??

• Options
    anybody wanna play?

• Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take it John, if nobody else steps up. It was a blast last time!
  • Options
    cbuck said:
    I'll take it John, if nobody else steps up. It was a blast last time!
    Charlie, sounds good to me.  You're up next. 
    I'll get the package out tomorrow.

• Options
    I'm looking forward to it! Maybe I'll get one right this time!
  • Options
    Thank you John! I'll let them rest a bit, and then go to it!image
  • Options
    cbuck said:
    Thank you John! I'll let them rest a bit, and then go to it!image
    good luck with your guesses!  Hope you like them!

• Options
    @cbuck; did you have a chance to fire any of these up yet? 

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Sorry John! Life has gotten in the way! I want to have time to sit and think, and I have been working Saturdays and Sundays! And all week too. Busiest year for ice cream in a long time. Hopefully this weekend will be easier! I haven't forgotten!
  • Options
    I'll make sure I tag you when I make my guess! I smoke a lot, but mostly light it, take a few puffs, go do something else, few more puffs, etc. etc.
  • Options
    cbuck said:
    Sorry John! Life has gotten in the way! I want to have time to sit and think, and I have been working Saturdays and Sundays! And all week too. Busiest year for ice cream in a long time. Hopefully this weekend will be easier! I haven't forgotten!
    Don't sweat it Charlie @cbuck !  Happy to hear that your business is busy, that's always a good thing!! 
    Sounds like everyone wants to fill up on ice cream before the weather turns cold!!

I was just looking through my notes this weekend and found my note on these "mystery sticks".....and I just wanted to bump this up and make sure I didn't miss anything.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Ok, here we go! Mystery stick A is a dark wrapper with a closed foot. Slight sweetness at first light. Sweetness continues for first 1/3, then a spiciness kicks in and stays for the rest of the cigar. Very enjoyable! I'm going to guess a Viaje Holiday Blend. @jgibv
  • Options
    Nice Charlie, that's a great guess I'm thinking it might be a Tatuaje as an alternative. Cool game looking forward to see what John says it is ;)

Brett
  • Options
    Good guess for stick "A" Charlie @cbuck; you weren't too far off ....

that one is a Viaje Full Moon.

• Options
    At least I got the brand right! Better than I did last time! Thanks John! I'll post when I get to B!
  • Options
    At least I got the brand right! Better than I did last time! Thanks John! I'll post when I get to B!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    On to stick B! This one is puzzling to me. A little one dimensional. Construction was good, nice straight burn. I want to say an A J stick, but the single flavor profile is not what an AJ usually is. I'm gonna say a Pinolero, or Ave Maria Knights Templar! Although I don't think the Ave has a pigtail? Let me know how far off I am! @jgibv
  • Options
    Charlie @cbuck ; good guess on stick B but no dice.

thats a Caldwell Murcias with about 1 year humi time.  They seem to mellow out with age.

• Options
    Ok, stick C. The one thing I got from this stick is a nice tobacco flavor, which I love, and which I very rarely find! I am more confident on my guess on this one! Based on the tobacco flavor all the way through, I believe this is a Crowned Heads Four Kicks, which used to be a favorite of mine for a while. @jgibv Thanks for providing the sticks! I'll let you know about the Uncharted when I smoke it! Now, who wants to be next?