Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Words I'd like to murder. (Phrases too.)

Comments

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    "Closure"

(As in emotional closure, whatever that means.)

What did we call this type of closure before we began to use the phrase closure to describe it?

Nowadays everybody says one word, closure. And, everybody else seems to understand, if even in a vague, general way, what you mean when you say you want, or seek, or achieve closure in relation to emotional stress or pain or grief or conflict. See what I mean? Many different emotions can apparently benefit from "closure". But what words other than "closure" said the same thing before that word was used?

Really. This does puzzle me. So, I ask you, what words did we use before? Did the concept even exist before? And if it did, what words expressed it? Please tell me.
    catharsis, perhaps, although I don't think they're exactly the same thing
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Bob Luken:
    "Closure"

What did we call this type of closure before we began to over-use the phrase closure to describe it?

Nowadays everybody says one word, closure. And, everybody else seems to understand, if even in a vague, general way, what you mean when you say you want, or seek, or achieve closure in relation to emotional stress or pain or grief or conflict. See what I mean? Many different emotions can apparently benefit from "closure". But what words other than "closure" said the same thing before that word became so widely used?

Really. This does puzzle me. Did the concept even exist before? And if it did, what words expressed it? Please tell me.
    Good one. But you're right, it's not the same thing exactly. And certainly never was as widely used. I don't suppose any one single word could match up exactly with the same meaning but catharsis might be the closest.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Something I'm seeing a lot lately is "fur baby" instead of "pet.". It's a pet, people. Just a pet. Part of the family, yes, but it's still an animal.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Aint or Aint it.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Martel:
    Bob Luken:
    "Closure"

What did we call this type of closure before we began to over-use the phrase closure to describe it?

Nowadays everybody says one word, closure. And, everybody else seems to understand, if even in a vague, general way, what you mean when you say you want, or seek, or achieve closure in relation to emotional stress or pain or grief or conflict. See what I mean? Many different emotions can apparently benefit from "closure". But what words other than "closure" said the same thing before that word became so widely used?

Really. This does puzzle me. Did the concept even exist before? And if it did, what words expressed it? Please tell me.
    Good one. But you're right, it's not the same thing exactly. And certainly never was as widely used. I don't suppose any one single word could match up exactly with the same meaning but catharsis might be the closest.
    People "sucked it up and moved on".
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience:
    Bob Luken:
    Martel:
    Bob Luken:
    "Closure"

People "sucked it up and moved on".
    Yep, We had to use five or six real words back then to say "closure".
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Closure

I know but it needs repeating.
  • Options
    CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    0patience:

It's not the 80s anymore. So while it's a cool car, it's not a "**** ride".

What if it whines like crazy, is always getting on your nerves and never gives you a moments peace? My girlfriends car would fit under that meaning because it's a ****' pain in the ass. I swear I'm fixing something on it every few months.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Something I'm seeing a lot lately is "fur baby" instead of "pet.". It's a pet, people. Just a pet. Part of the family, yes, but it's still an animal.
    Fur baby aways sounded dirty to me.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SecretSquirrelSecretSquirrel Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    matkn293:
    I would like to throw in just sayin'
    "i'm not sayin, i'm just sayin. you know what i'm sayin?" no... no I don't.
  • Options
    clutch. not the peddle, but as in "that was clutch."
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Martel:
    I have seen this a lot lately myself. I've seen it mainly used in the passing of an old family pet...doesn't seem proper to use fur baby...I think of fur coming from wild animals.
  • Options
    The "F" word. It is every where and it has become a real problem. I look for it on sites like IMGUR just so I can down vote. Don't have to look hard at all.
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I can't stand super "like that's super cute" "super bored"

or "Literally" my kids use it for everything! 

to many to name I guess!

The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    The "F" word. It is every where and it has become a real problem. I look for it on sites like IMGUR just so I can down vote. Don't have to look hard at all.

Why go out of your way just to find something you don't like for the sole purpose of down voting it. Sorry, but that just makes no sense to me.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ax. An ax is a thing, not the way to ask a question.
  • Options
    jimmyv723 said:
    jd50ae said:

Why go out of your way just to find something you don't like for the sole purpose of down voting it. Sorry, but that just makes no sense to me.
    I read the comments of mostly animal posts so I can up vote the hopefully intelligent and or humorous posts. There are 2 words that stick out, and when I see them they get down voted. The 2nd word I flag and hopefully it gets removed. If the 2nd word appeared on this forum someone would get banned. And it ain't no trouble at all.
  • Options
    Bob_Luken said:
    CharlieHeis:
    It is what it is.
    Oh yeah! Hate that one. Makes me think of this other one, and I hate it just as much.

"Let's do this."
    the worst 2 phrases in our language, but heck it is what it is.
  • Options
    Eulogy said:
    Ax. An ax is a thing, not the way to ask a question.
    Ax and axe; while both are correct spellings of the same word, one of them needs to die. however, not as badly as people "axing a question". it's like nails on a chalkboard when I hear it.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Bob_Luken said:
    Absolutely.

Just a super-sized "yes"?,........... Yes.
    I don't agree here, as absolutely simply serves as a synonym for yes in this case. the English language is chocked full of synonyms and antonyms. for me, it's actually kind of nice because it reduces the redundancy of writing the same words over and over again. an example of this is when writing about how an author explains something. I am thankful that there is a plethora of synonyms for the word explain.
  • Options
    Bob_Luken said:
    Absolutely.

Just a super-sized "yes"?,........... Yes.
    I don't agree here, as absolutely simply serves as a synonym for yes in this case. the English language is chocked full of synonyms and antonyms. for me, it's actually kind of nice because it reduces the redundancy of writing the same words over and over again. an example of this is when writing about how an author explains something. I am thankful that there is a plethora of synonyms for the word explain.
    Redundancy is the point. It's overused. It's unavoidable in any form of live media / interview type situation. You could make a drinking game of it if it weren't for the clear risk of death from alcohol poisoning.  

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a radio program on NPR that airs here Sunday mornings called "A Way With Words" that digs into colloquialisms and explains phrases and words, and such.  The covered the "ax vs. ask" think.  Turns out that ax was used in the UK a long long time ago, and somehow became a part of modern language (especially Ebonics) without most of us knowing the history.  So it's not a recent thing, and was accepted as proper way back when.  But I don't like it either.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Yo, bra and bro.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife hates how I pronounce tornado. Tarnado 
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Price point.

If your local liquor store has a great deal on your favorite bourbon, it's at a great price. It's their price. Why call it a price point? 

If you can replace "price point" in a sentence with "price", without altering the meaning of your sentence, then why are you saying price point? 

Some members on this forum actually use this two word combo. Maybe you can weigh in on this. Can you, or anyone else, (without googling it) explain the difference between price and price point?

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price point would be an average range of prices for which an item can be found on a consistent basis. 
    A viaje has a high price point, but if you shop you can find them at a decent price.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever

There has to be a better way to say F off, I'm done with you...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    starting an answer to a question with "...so...", uttered mostly by experts on NPR (that's National Public Radio for you acronym haters).
  • Options
    starting an answer to a question with "...so...", uttered mostly by experts on NPR (that's National Public Radio for you acronym haters).
    Oh that reminds me of people who start a sentence with "Look, ..... "

That, to me, is so annoying/insulting. It's as if they are saying. "Pay attention now fool because I'm about to educate you." 
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Wylaff said:
    Price point would be an average range of prices for which an item can be found on a consistent basis. 
    A viaje has a high price point, but if you shop you can find them at a decent price.
    I'm not sure that's the correct definition but I like it anyway because it's simple enough for me to understand. ;)