Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Words I'd like to murder. (Phrases too.)

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

"The New Normal..."

I'm really getting sick of hearing this phrase repeatedly on the news programs. The implication is that we've arrived at a situation where we will remain from here on out. It seems that we are to adjust to a "New Normal" where everyone stays home quaking in fear while we await a non-existent future rescue by the Government.

The "News" programmers are all on board, this is how it is, folks. In the world of "The New Normal" everyone stays at home, supplies are doled out by officials, children are all home-schooled, and soon everyone will have to sign in and be accounted for every morning to certify compliance with "The New Normal".

Soon, they will wish to insure your health by observing your morning exercises in front of the computer...wait, that's the plot from "1984" by George Orwell, hmm, "oh don't worry boss, they've forgotten that by now."

The lines between fiction and reality are blurring.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree ^ but I do think this changes things. No longer will it be socially acceptable to forgo washing your hands after the bathroom (which it is now even though it's very gross) or before toching someone. I think we've probably seen our last handshake, bro hug, and other form of physical greetings and farewells, especially by young people.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dunno, Frank. This is being politicized so badly, and by both sides of the aisle, I think we've already gone over the edge of the precipice. It's not all that far from where we are now to a totalitarian regime. The social customs I grew up with have long since passed even before the mass hysteria ensued.

I'd just like to know where, if or when the government decides to let us out again, they plan to put everyone. Society was already packed tightly. I can't see people going back to crowded transportation, restaraunts, theaters, or bars. Hell, just putting 2 people in a car will give snowflakes the vapors.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

CharlieHeis:
    It is what it is.

• never heard those words and felt happy
  • Options

BLUF, awesome sauce, and town hall

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

"Agree to disagree"

I don't know why, but to me, that's stupid. Usually, it's just one person's way of admitting they won't open their rusty reasoning or consider changing their viewpoint.

Edit: whoops... did I just do what I said was stupid? :/

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    "Agree to disagree"

I don't know why, but to me, that's stupid. Usually, it's just one person's way of admitting they won't open their rusty reasoning or consider changing their viewpoint.

Edit: whoops... did I just do what I said was stupid? :/

I agree to agree

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you heard of the new drinking game? A virtual group of ten or more watch the daily corona virus press conference. Each time the phrase "data driven" is repeated, they each, in their private space, must toss back a shot.

Many have been hospitalized by this game, of whom, many have passed away; some from wuhan virus contracted in hospital. Some groups replaced the phrase "data driven" with the word "granular", to mitigate the deadly effects. But that proved equally fatal.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

COVID19.
    Social distancing.
    It is what it is.
    Greatest (name your sport) player ever.
    We (like you own the team) won.
    Murdersickle.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Guitarded said:
    Murdersickle.

Hey! I love murdersickles!

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

@Guitarded said:
    COVID19.
    Social distancing.
    It is what it is.
    Greatest (name your sport) player ever.
    We (like you own the team) won.
    Murdersickle.

Nice recap of last night's vherf, Michael!

Don't look ↑