Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Now I wonder if I can still look this up.  Gates documentary was a step by step re-tracing of the origins of slavery in America.  I remember his conversation, and being surprised at the percentage the woman claimed.  I also seem to remember Madagascar, although I knew it where it was it still somehow seemed feasible.  Perhaps Madagascar came up in a separate episode, I do remember him talking with an Arab sheik, too.  Or, long shot, where did the traders on the west coast get their slaves?  Could have been from the old market?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Now I wonder if I can still look this up.  Gates documentary was a step by step re-tracing of the origins of slavery in America.  I remember his conversation, and being surprised at the percentage the woman claimed.  I also seem to remember Madagascar, although I knew it where it was it still somehow seemed feasible.  Perhaps Madagascar came up in a separate episode, I do remember him talking with an Arab sheik, too.  Or, long shot, where did the traders on the west coast get their slaves?  Could have been from the old market?
    I've read Mungo Park as well as the pertinent accounts in Hakluyt's Voyages, and I have here somewhere a fascinating collection of other first hand accounts, as well as Honest Abe's fave book... I forget its name. It seems fairly evident that the first foreign slave traders were Moors who would march their slaves across the Sahara via the infamous Timbuktu, leaving a trail of skeletons along the way, and Islam in their wake as well. This went on for centuries, yet they never figured how to cruise round Morocco in a ship and avoid the grueling desert trek. Once Portuguese arrived on the West coast of the continent, white men could but direct from those black kings along the coast. Soon, the white man established trade depots called barracoons where agents collected slaves brought down the rivers from inland, often by those same Moors, who immediately saw that as a safer and easier market than the Sahara, and with less loss. The obvious advantage of the barracoon, of course, is that you didn't have to wait along a disease ridden coast. Any trip inland meant fevers and death. Quick way to lose your crew. Last thing you want to do is fumble round the jungle chasing Kunta Kinte. Not catching that cat in your pilgrim boots & toting a matchlock. So hit the depot, load, and leave. In the great Age of Sail, of course Britain dominated this commerce as much as so much else. The Industrial Age enabled them to swap iron bars and cotton cloth for slaves, swap slaves for rum, and bring that back to Britain. Where the Navy got its grog ration. Liverpool was the port they sailed from. But once they lost the colonies, the money went out of it for the Brits, & so the Anti-Slavery Society prevailed. The world owes its abhorrence of slavery to the Shakers and Quakers, and to the British Navy, which was able to impose a ban on slavery pretty much round the world. It dragged on for a while because Americans built way faster ships that could run away from the Navy. Until the marines destroyed the barracoons.  

So in answer to your question, the Sheik bought from the Moors, the Moors bought from the kings, the white man bought from the kings. 

When confronted with the actual history, Alex Haley admitted he had written fable. He said something along the lines of "... because our people needed a myth." They got one.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I'm a history nut. Thing is, time is unique among the dimensions. See, we can't remember forward; we can only remember backwards. Mysterious. It's as though you could reach out your right hand but not your left. Makes no sense whatever. There it is.

The best we can do, we can often dimly discern the reflection of forward, by looking backward.

... and you can't make that up.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    @webmost @Amos_Umwhat

Was also a history buff, mostly Native Indians (never real sure how to make reference) and the Civil War. As a small aside I looked into slavery and religions as separate issues. Amazing how one thing leads to another. Found the Land Bridge, Chinese explorers and the Norsemen very interesting.

Your conversation has been interesting to say the least. I had forgotten so much. I wonder if I am too old to start over.....

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    @webmost @Amos_Umwhat

Was also a history buff, mostly Native Indians (never real sure how to make reference) and the Civil War. As a small aside I looked into slavery and religions as separate issues. Amazing how one thing leads to another. Found the Land Bridge, Chinese explorers and the Norsemen very interesting.

Your conversation has been interesting to say the least. I had forgotten so much. I wonder if I am too old to start over.....

Never to old
  • Options
    deadman said:
    jd50ae said:
    @webmost @Amos_Umwhat

Never to old
    Of course you are right.
    Since my post I have been sitting here thinking about it.
    I am lucky, in a way, to live where I do.
    The library's here have not been "socially" or "PC" corrupted.
    The first book I ever checked out was from The Cora Kelly grade school library in Alexandria, Va.
    It's title was "The Boy Electrician", I was impressed.
    WOW, how's that for memory.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Of course you are right.
    Since my post I have been sitting here thinking about it.
    I am lucky, in a way, to live where I do.
    The library's here have not been "socially" or "PC" corrupted.
    The first book I ever checked out was from The Cora Kelly grade school library in Alexandria, Va.
    It's title was "The Boy Electrician", I was impressed.
    WOW, how's that for memory.
    I say you're making that up.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I went through a spell of buying old books. Most are history related and between 1800 to the 1940s.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oahu is banning cell phone and electronic device use by pedestrians.  I guess too many are walking in front of cars, oops.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Oahu is banning cell phone and electronic device use by pedestrians.  I guess too many are walking in front of cars, oops.
    A gal talking on her phone walked in front of a moving train here yesterday.
  • Options
    Yakster said:

i wish they would ban them from drivers.
  • Options
    CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Yakster said:

i wish they would ban them from drivers.

Washington State did, just having a phone in your hand while driving can get you pulled over and handed a 140 dollar ticket as while as an "E-DUI".
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Another officer lost in Indianapolis...

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/indiana/articles/2017-07-27/police-officer-shot-on-the-south-side-of-indianapolis

Taken out by the person he was there to save.

Image result for Lt Aaron Allan
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    :'(
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sad when you respond to a vehicle crash only to be greeted with gunshots. Sad day here in indy.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    edited July 2017
    A good man, a good cop and he was murdered by a bunch of

filthy disgusting cockroaches

with no thought and no feeling.
  • Options

Immigrant deported 20 times accused of kidnap, assault

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gripnrip said:
    Yakster said:
    A gal talking on her phone walked in front of a moving train here yesterday.
    Darwin's Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection.
    Sorry if that seems cold, but if they aren't paying attention to what they are doing, they are a danger, not only to themselves, but people around them.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:

He did much worse than that, the deranged meth head, stabbed the lady after kidnaping here then tied her her up and raped her. That POS needs to die, rot and burn, if found guilty. 
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    jd50ae said:

I'm guessing JD copied and pasted that headline directly from fox news but even they won't call an apparent POS like him an illegal immigrant in their headline. 

Actually, I think it's amazing how the left has actually succeeded in labeling anyone using the term. And if you insist on using the term, be aware,... you're a racist,....  because they say you are. They will tell you you mean it as a slur much worse than illegal immigrant. They're offended,.... that's how they know you have hate in your heart. Doesn't matter that you truly have compassion for illegal immigrants who endure dire circumstances. You're a racist. Doesn't matter if your logic tells you illegal immigrant is a accurate and logical term. You're a racist. What DOES matter is that it's politically valuable to call you a racist. Because, it's easy to hate racists, right? GawDamn right it is!!!! 
  • Options
    This happened in Portland Oregon, where by state law it is actually illegal for law enforcement to report this guy to La Migra. Portland is also a sanctuary city.

• Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Facebook Engineers panic when artificially intelligent bots,  spontaneously develop their own language to communicate with each other.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/facebook-engineers-panic-pull-plug-ai-bots-develop-162649618.html
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Another officer lost in Indianapolis...

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/indiana/articles/2017-07-27/police-officer-shot-on-the-south-side-of-indianapolis

Taken out by the person he was there to save.

Image result for Lt Aaron Allan
    Rest in Peace, Brother, your tour is over.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Facebook Engineers panic when artificially intelligent bots,  spontaneously develop their own language to communicate with each other.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/facebook-engineers-panic-pull-plug-ai-bots-develop-162649618.html
    It begins.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next thing we know the bots are running the collective just like the Borg
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dwight was right....COMPUTER ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    2hand2hand Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:

It begins.

No worries.  Spock will fix it.
    If you don't like women drivers, then stay off the sidewalk.
  • Options
    Wylaff said:
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/transgender-kids/transgender-8-year-old-makes-grandpa-congressman-mike-honda-proud-n345731

What kind of f*cking parent would let their kids "transition" before puberty? Kid says "I feel like a girl." Bullsh*t. Your balls ain't dropped yet. Chemically you are a f*cking girl. And since when did we start letting children decide how they want to be raised? My daughter once ate a 2 pound gummy snake because she thought it was a good idea. I laughed the entire time she was throwing it up. Now she limits her sugar as her parents told her. Kids don't make intelligent informed decisions, because they are not intelligently informed. Most adults aren't either. But putting a boy on puberty blockers because he wants to be a girl is abuse. Plain and simple. It's just as abusing, if not more so, than allowing my 8 year old son to get a full chest tattoo of the power rangers because it's his wish...

Hmmm. Apparently this topic pisses me off some....

It pisses off a lot of people. 
    But we have to be careful, we don't want some uber idiot leaving their safe space and dolly's coming out and calling us haters.