Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

My young nephew was visiting for Christmas and, out of the blue, he asked me how old I was. I told him 67.

He was very quiet for a moment, and then with a startled look on his face he asked, “Did you start at one?”

Wrong thread?

I did make that up.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Baby Shark" officially became the world's first video ever to reach 10 billion views on YouTube on Jan. 13, 2022 making it the most-viewed video in YouTube history. [and a dangerous earworm]

I'm sure that many families with little kids are responsible for hundreds and thousands of views all on their own.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    "Baby Shark" officially became the world's first video ever to reach 10 billion views on YouTube on Jan. 13, 2022 making it the most-viewed video in YouTube history. [and a dangerous earworm]

I'm sure that many families with little kids are responsible for hundreds and thousands of views all on their own.

Love baby shark :#

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

You haven't lived until you put baby shark on repeat

• Options

Sounds like a pathway to madness, maybe a way to trigger a fugue state.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is my disagree, I have had that at my house and it was terrible.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

You should save this for the best caption thread

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess it will cut down on scams, but it still creeps me out:

IRS Will Require Facial Recognition Scans to Access Your Taxes Online
    You will have to submit sensitive government documents, your Social Security number, credit history, and a face scan to ID.me, a third-party company.

https://gizmodo.com/irs-will-require-facial-recognition-scans-to-access-you-1848387715

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being from Cleveland is awesome

https://youtu.be/n0CT8zrw6lw

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

@silvermouse said:

You will have to submit sensitive government documents, your Social Security number, credit history, and a face scan to ID.me, a third-party company.

https://gizmodo.com/irs-will-require-facial-recognition-scans-to-access-you-1848387715

Is that legal in Illinois?

https://dailycoffeenews.com/2022/01/18/pret-a-manger-usa-agrees-to-677k-settlement-in-biometric-privacy-case/

Cafe Pret a Manger was requiring employees to clock in and out with fingerprints.

"Illinois’ biometric data privacy act has been a lightning rod for class action suits since it became the first state to pass such legislation in 2008. Texas and Washington later followed with less stringent legislation. According to a recent Bloomberg Law analysis, there are currently 24 states that have active or proposed biometric privacy laws, often related to fingerprinting or facial recognition."

• Options

When I worked for the NRCS I had to get fingerprinted at the local police station. The gov't has required biometric info for quite a while. Privacy is impossible, the genie is out of the bottle.

• Options

I went through the Live Scan fingerprint background checks frequently when I was a field engineer working on county public safety radio networks. This seems different, requiring biometrics to authenticate, which has a whole host of other problems and vulnerabilities.

• Options

my Chromebook and my phone use fingerprint login. I wonder if that is just resident on the device or if it is accessible to Google or Lenovo or Samsung. And there is an option to use face recognition. Using biometrics to prove identity just seems dangerous. I could be murdered and the assailant could grab my phone and then use my finger to unlock it. If I had banking apps.... The digital world is so tenuous.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:

A few weeks back I read about the first man to be assassinated by a small drone which found him by facial recognition. IIRC, this experimental whacking took place in some "terrorist" target in North Africa. No remote operator, just a wee toy like you might use to take pics in the park, programmed to go find the guy who looks like such & so and blow up in his face.

Wouldn't know how to find the article now.

Big Brother is Whacking

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

lol

Mitch McConnell says African Americans voting just as much as 'Americans'

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    lol

Mitch McConnell says African Americans voting just as much as 'Americans'

Cocaine Mitch needs to retire.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're dumbing down the SAT's. Shorter reading passages, on-line test in which those taking the test can use their own "smart" devices. 2 hours instead of 3.

What does this say about the state of our education in America?

I guess it'll all be alright, since television programs have been telling our young people for the last couple generations that they're just so much smarter than their parents ever were, and the internet can make up for any deficiencies in their actual abilities. Sounds like a great strategy, eh?

I'm sure we'll all be fine.

:#

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat, my nephew goes to a public middle school in the area. When students finish their work in class they are aloud to get on their phones and play games, text, surf the web, etc. This is a mistake, in my opinion, because it doesn't push the students further and simply reinforces dependence on devices for entertainment and information. I believe this stuff to be in the same vein of what you mentioned. A general "dumbing down" of our education system and a lack of expectation.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17