Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

Yep, we promote teaching to the lowest common denominator.

How is this encouraging or promoting excellence?

It isn't. Rather the opposite. It's teaching the brighter students that their efforts would be unrewarded. Their outcome is going to be based on attaining only the level of the lowest common denominator.

Why would we do this?

Because now ALL the children are above average, except those who are below average, but hey! Now, they're average too! Parents can brag that their child is a "straight A student", by doing the level of work that MIGHT have gotten them a C, 40 or 50 years ago.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

My agree except I was in high-school 15-20 years ago and I still had homework and plenty of large assignments actual work so the 40-50 might be a bit of a stretch. Really what did it was this core shït they teach. The only kid that I see homework from is jessa and she's in kindergarten. The 3rd grader not a chance. The 8th graders nope not even the freshman or sophomore. That being said no they aren't just sneaky all of them were between 3.0 and 3.5gpa just silly.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was in school 50 years ago, there was lots of homework. I learned early on that as long as I did well on tests, I could get a C or better, which kept me from getting to much grief from the parents.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was in prep school we had to write an essay every week and a term paper 4 times a year in addition to daily homework in every subject. I was up until 10 most nights and still managed to get barely passing grades.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need a photo I.D. to take your SAT?
    That's testee suppression!

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    edited January 2022

Yes, that was so.
    My comments were made after hearing the upcoming, new, requirements on an NPR news segment. What you posted will be history.

It's changing. No more pencils. All on-line.

Bring your smart-phone, 2 hours on-line.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@Yakster said:

Opus X Culebra

What? No Bacon!?

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's almost good enough for the caption thread or a pool on how long the house lasts.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Burn it for the insurance money and move.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

In addition to the recall this week for Teslas running stop signs there's this:

Tesla drivers report a surge in ‘phantom braking’
    Owners say their cars are suddenly slamming the brakes at high speeds, nearly causing crashes in many cases
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/02/02/tesla-phantom-braking/

• Options

a little flexibility with rules costs nothing:

https://www.wired.com/story/airplanes-empty-slots-covid/

IN DECEMBER 2021, 27,591 aircraft took off or landed at Frankfurt airport—890 every day. But this winter, many of them weren’t carrying any passengers at all. Lufthansa, Germany’s national airline, which is based in Frankfurt, has admitted to running 21,000 empty flights this winter, using its own planes and those of its Belgian subsidiary, Brussels Airlines, in an attempt to keep hold of airport slots.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

This is what gets me about climate politics. If the biggest and dumbest carbon emissions are caused by the dumbest of big governments creating financial incentives to fly empty planes then they obviously think we're all idiots to believe electric cars driven by individuals will make a dent at all.

They should ground the ghost flights and make the airlines pay for preservation of their precious slots with an infrastructure tax based on slot preservation and also give their competitors the chance to outbid them for the opportunity to pay that tax for the at-risk slot. And all of that slot preservation tax money should go for individual airport infrastructure designed to increase flight capacity at,.........

I keep forgetting that the climate control politicians want fewer flights/less carbon emissions to begin with,.......... and I suppose that's how we got here in the first place.

Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • Options

and then there is dumping musk's empty tin can on the moon and nasa dumping the space station in the pacific. humans are such a wasteful lot.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

@silvermouse said:
    and then there is dumping musk's empty tin can on the moon and nasa dumping the space station in the pacific. humans are such a wasteful lot.

Now there's something basic I think we can do to preserve our earth as individuals and as large entities, just simply stop trashing the place. Don't litter. I don't trust people with clean vehicle interiors. Makes me suspect they litter. My vehicle looks junky inside, half of it needs to be discarded, but my stuff is not already laying on the side of the road is it?

• Options

Lefties are so insane that they are trying to tell people that the Canadian trucker convoy is made up of literal Nazis because "Honk Honk" starts with two Hs just like Heil Hitler.

https://notthebee.com/article/people-on-the-left-are-really-saying-that-the-trucker-convoy-in-canada-is-a-****-movement-because-honk-starts-with-the-letter-h-just-like-hitler

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Turns out Canadians got ballz. Who knew?

And the Canadian protestors are right. It's time.

What's at stake is the relationship between government and governed. Is it Parent / Child? Or, is it representation of equals?

Everyone knows the virus is here. It's always going to be here. Everyone knows enough to make the decision about how they, personally, will deal with it.

Time for Big Brother to step off.

Aptly Put

• Options

A Fight Over the Right to Repair Cars Turns Ugly
    In the wake of a voter-approved law, Subaru and Kia dealers in Massachusetts have disabled systems that allow remote starts and send maintenance alerts.
    Mechanic's hand holding a screwdriver over the engine bay of a car
    PHOTOGRAPH: REZA ESTAKHRIAN/GETTY IMAGES
    CHIE FERRELLI LOVED her Subaru SUV, which she bought in 2020 because it made her feel safe. So when it was time for her husband, Marc, to purchase his own new car last summer, they returned to the Subaru dealer near their home in southeast Massachusetts. But there was a catch, one that made the couple mad: Marc’s sedan wouldn’t have access to the company's telematics system and the app that went along with it. No remote engine start in the freezing New England winter; no emergency assistance; no automated messages when the tire pressure was low or the oil needed changing. The worst part was that if the Ferrellis lived just a mile away, in Rhode Island, they would have the features. They bought the car. But thinking back, Marc says, if he had known about the issue before stepping into the dealership he “probably would have gone with Toyota.”

Subaru disabled the telematics system and associated features on new cars registered in Massachusetts last year as part of a spat over a right-to-repair ballot measure approved, overwhelmingly, by the state’s voters in 2020. The measure, which has been held up in the courts, required automakers to give car owners and independent mechanics more access to data about the car’s internal systems.

But the “open data platform” envisioned by the law doesn’t exist yet, and automakers have filed suit to prevent the initiative from taking effect. So first Subaru and then Kia turned off their telematics systems on their newest cars in Massachusetts, irking drivers like the Ferrellis. “This was not to comply with the law—compliance with the law at this time is impossible—but rather to avoid violating it,” Dominick Infante, a spokesperson for Subaru, wrote in a statement. Kia did not respond to a request for comment.

The dispute is the latest chapter in long-running disagreements between the state and automakers over the right to repair, or consumers’ ability to fix their own cars or control who does it for them. In 2012, Massachusetts voters passed a similar ballot measure that, for the first time, required automakers to use nonproprietary onboard diagnostics ports on every vehicle.

more:
    https://www.wired.com/story/fight-right-repair-cars-turns-ugly/

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Well, call me old fashioned, but if I ever get to the point that I need my car/truck to tell me that my tire is low or my oil needs changed please take my keys and throw them over a cliff somewhere.
    Maybe people should stop buying their vehicles and they’ll stop being such prícks. Just a thought.

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    Well, call me old fashioned, but if I ever get to the point that I need my car/truck to tell me that my tire is low or my oil needs changed please take my keys and throw them over a cliff somewhere.
    Maybe people should stop buying their vehicles and they’ll stop being such prícks. Just a thought.

Agree. But all the bells and whistles are included in the price of the car so they have a legitimate gripe. I'd be pissed about the remote starter being turned off.

• Options

This remark:

Maybe people should stop buying their vehicles and they’ll stop being such prícks.

ignores this point:

This was not to comply with the law—compliance with the law at this time is impossible—but rather to avoid violating it