Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the parents will say why are you picking on our kids instead of going after real criminals. Even though these are the real criminals of the future.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

NTSB calls for alcohol detection systems in all new vehicles
    https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/09/20220921-ntsb.html

San Francisco police get real-time access to private cameras
    https://www.ksby.com/news/california-news/san-francisco-police-get-real-time-access-to-private-cameras

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    NTSB calls for alcohol detection systems in all new vehicles
    https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/09/20220921-ntsb.html

San Francisco police get real-time access to private cameras
    https://www.ksby.com/news/california-news/san-francisco-police-get-real-time-access-to-private-cameras

I heard the Rare Earth song "Big Brother" yesterday. I liked Rare Earth, I think that may have been my favorite song when it came out. We've forgotten the message.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Revealed: US Military Bought Mass Monitoring Tool That Includes Internet Browsing, Email Data
    The “Augury” platform includes highly sensitive network data that Team Cymru, a private company, is selling to the military. “It’s everything. There’s nothing else to capture except the smell of electricity,” one cybersecurity expert said.

By Joseph **** censor bot, his name is Joseph C o x, lol

https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3pnkw/us-military-bought-mass-monitoring-augury-team-cymru-browsing-email-data

Post edited by silvermouse on
  • Options

Super:

National Grid customers are expected to see a 64% increase in their electric bills this winter, the company announced Wednesday.

In a press release titled "Winter Customer Savings Initiative," the power company announced that natural gas prices are expected to be significantly higher this winter due to "global conflict, inflation and high demand," which will result in a hefty increase in their electricity rates starting Nov. 1.

National Grid said the monthly bill of a typical residential customer using 600 kilowatt-hours will increase from $179 last winter to about $293 this winter, an increase of about 64%. National Grid said the delivery portion of electric bills will basically remain flat

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

So am I reading this right? They’re using natural gas to produce the electricity?

• Options

Yes, and with the push to switch to heat pumps and battery-powered cars, the demand for electricity is soaring. Unintended consequences of disruptive change.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    Yes, and with the push to switch to heat pumps and battery-powered cars, the demand for electricity is soaring. Unintended consequences of UNNECESSARY change.

FIFY.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    Yes, and with the push to switch to heat pumps and battery-powered cars, the demand for electricity is soaring. Unintended consequences of disruptive change.

And Congress wants all-electric vehicles only, produced by...when? Seems soon, 5 years or so if certain parties have their way.

Hmm, what could go wrong? :/

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no desire to be more dependant on electricity.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

But it's 100% efficient

• Options
    edited September 2022

Well, since “electric” cars must be charged….I say they should only be able to charge by solar power and not fossil fuels.

I also didn’t realize that there were power plants using natural gas to produce electricity. Kind of ironic considering natural gas is a byproduct of mining…specifically coal mining. Which I guess makes sense for them to claim “global conflict” is disrupting supply lines. I mean hell, heaven forbid we use the gas that’s here instead of importing it along with all the coal we import.

• Options

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/09/22/its-common-charge-electric-vehicles-night-that-will-be-problem/

That means that around 80 percent of EV charging happens at the owner’s home, overnight — when the driver doesn’t need the car and can leave plenty of time for a charge.
    But that charging pattern is at odds with how electricity is increasingly being generated. The largest demand for electricity happens in the evening, between about 5 to 9 p.m. People come home from work, turn the lights on, watch TV and do other activities that suck up power. Solar panels, meanwhile, produce their energy during the middle of the day. The highest electricity demand, then, happens just when solar has begun to shut off for the day.

• Options

Next the government and the green weenies will demand lunar panels so they can charge their priuses at night.

• Options

Artist Slammed for Matching Instagram Photos to Open-Camera Footage
    Critics of the project say artist Dries Depoorter is engaging dangerously with surveillance culture.

https://hyperallergic.com/762604/artist-slammed-for-matching-instagram-photos-to-open-camera-footage/

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Vice President of the US, one heart beat from becoming President, says relief for Hurricane Ian should be based on race and gender. Not on need, but race and gender.

I've never seen anyone with a minus IQ.

• Options

@YankeeMan said:
    The Vice President of the US, one heart beat from becoming President, says relief for Hurricane Ian should be based on race and gender. Not on need, but race and gender.

Her brand of reasoning takes a special kind of stupid.

• Options

@YankeeMan said:

There's a first time for everything. I guess that if we add up her accomplishments as VP and subtract her age we'll know her actual IQ, so, minus 57.

• Options

Sometime back in the early to mid-70's I was driving a flatbed truck, usually about 10 hours a day, and listened to a lot of radio. Often I turned to NPR or whatever News channels existed back then that I could find as I traversed a 3 or 4 state area.

One day I'm driving along and the story I'm hearing from whatever scientists they were publicizing at the time, (paraphrasing) "We've found that white bread, bologna, and coffee cause cancer in people who use any of these more than two or three times a week."

Well, I'm skrewed, no point in giving up cigarettes, is there?

Of course, as time went on there were studies that "proved" that coffee prevented cancer, or caused it, or had no effect, etc.

Seems though, that the general public takes each of these new studies as being the ultimate end-all-debate final answer. Until the next study comes along.

I think I'll just do whatever the heck I want and see what happens.

• Options

I'd hazard to guess that anxiety is much more dangerous than white bread and D3 supplements. Therefore I'm right there with you, @Amos_Umwhat. Eat and drink what you'd like, just don't do it to excess and keep an active lifestyle...mentally, physically, and spiritually.

• Options

Eggs used to be the subject of a lot of “health studies”. One day they’re good for you. The next day they’ll give you a heart attack. Then miraculously they’re good again. I also use to pay attention to the increases and decreases in the price of them after these groundbreaking studies were released. I always find it funny how easily people are manipulated by big words from people with some sort of title.

• Options

‘The Cash Monster Was Insatiable’: How Insurers Exploited Medicare for Billions
    By next year, half of Medicare beneficiaries will have a private Medicare Advantage plan. Most large insurers in the program have been accused in court of fraud.

The health system Kaiser Permanente called doctors in during lunch and after work and urged them to add additional illnesses to the medical records of patients they hadn’t seen in weeks. Doctors who found enough new diagnoses could earn bottles of Champagne, or a bonus in their paycheck.

Anthem, a large insurer now called Elevance Health, paid more to doctors who said their patients were sicker. And executives at UnitedHealth Group, the country’s largest insurer, told their workers to mine old medical records for more illnesses — and when they couldn’t find enough, sent them back to try again.

Each of the strategies — which were described by the Justice Department in lawsuits against the companies — led to diagnoses of serious diseases that might have never existed. But the diagnoses had a lucrative side effect: They let the insurers collect more money from the federal government’s Medicare Advantage program.

Medicare Advantage, a private-sector alternative to traditional Medicare, was designed by Congress two decades ago to encourage health insurers to find innovative ways to provide better care at lower cost. If trends hold, by next year, more than half of Medicare recipients will be in a private plan.

Soon, Half of Medicare Will be Privatized
    Medicare Advantage is on track to enroll most Medicare beneficiaries by next year.

But a New York Times review of dozens of fraud lawsuits, inspector general audits and investigations by watchdogs shows how major health insurers exploited the program to inflate their profits by billions of dollars.

The government pays Medicare Advantage insurers a set amount for each person who enrolls, with higher rates for sicker patients. And the insurers, among the largest and most prosperous American companies, have developed elaborate systems to make their patients appear as sick as possible, often without providing additional treatment, according to the lawsuits.

As a result, a program devised to help lower health care spending has instead become substantially more costly than the traditional government program it was meant to improve.

Eight of the 10 biggest Medicare Advantage insurers — representing more than two-thirds of the market — have submitted inflated bills, according to the federal audits. And four of the five largest players — UnitedHealth, Humana, Elevance and Kaiser — have faced federal lawsuits alleging that efforts to overdiagnose their customers crossed the line into fraud.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/08/upshot/medicare-advantage-fraud-allegations.html

• Options

Yet they are sending 87,000 IRS agents out to harass small business owners.

• Options
    edited October 2022

I know many of those whose job is to deal with the Insurance Thieves, every last one of them has told me that there is absolutely NO "advantage" whatsoever to the patient to be a part of an "Advantage" plan. The main thrust of all these plans is to relieve the patient of as much money as possible while providing the least care imaginable, and then to forward the $ to the people who do nothing whatsoever for the patient.

Just my experience and opinion. I could be wrong, but I don't think so, and neither do those whose job it is to get your doctors' plan for your care approved.