Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

1237238239240241243»

Comments

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stubble said:
    It can cure feeling down. When I'm feeling down, I think of how much glitter enrages Patrick...then I chuckle, and go about my day with a better outlook.

@dirtdude @Patrickbrick

Strippers wear glitter and strippers make everyone happy. (Except for the wives)

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have all drunk the Kool Ade. If there was an all-out war and our enemies lobbed a bunch of emp munitions on us, taking out the Internet it would be complete and total disruption. But after the dust settles we would right back at it. We are all bozos addicts on this bus.

• Options

How to EMP-Proof a BuildingOak Ridge researchers mimicked electromagnetic pulses to block them

https://spectrum.ieee.org/electromagnetic-pulse

• Options
  • Options

Ever since it was introduced I thought cloud storage was a bad idea.
    The Ticketmaster Data Breach May Be Just the Beginning

BY MATT BURGESS

Data breaches at Ticketmaster and financial services company Santander have been linked to attacks against cloud provider Snowflake. Researchers fear more breaches will soon be uncovered

• Options
    edited June 15

boeing, again:
    (yes, it makes a difference)

PARIS/WASHINGTON/MONTREAL, June 13 (Reuters) - Boeing (BA.N), opens new tab is investigating a new quality problem with its 787 Dreamliner after discovering that hundreds of fasteners have been incorrectly installed on the fuselages of some undelivered jets, two people familiar with the matter said.
    The latest in a series of manufacturing snags affecting the U.S. planemaker involves incorrect "torquing" or tightening in a Boeing plant of more than 900 fasteners per plane - split equally between both sides of the jet's mid-body, they said.
    The latest manufacturing flaw was discovered inside the company's South Carolina plant where the 787's lightweight carbon-composite skin is attached to skeletal supports inside the fuselage sections called longerons.
    The sources said the affected fasteners had been torqued from the wrong side, using the head instead of the associated nut.
    In January, Boeing issued a bulletin to suppliers that laid out practices to ensure bolts are properly torqued following inspections of 737 MAX 9s grounded in the wake of the blowout.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/boeing-investigates-quality-problem-undelivered-787s-sources-say-2024-06-13/

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^
    Never considered the strength of the fastener being affected by tightening the bolt or the nut...

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IndustMech said:
    ^^^
    Never considered the strength of the fastener being affected by tightening the bolt or the nut...

Maybe they want to head to stay flush and immobile with the surface? So that the rotating head doesn't wear the surface material or create any small voids and make it easier to loosen down the road? Just thinking out loud.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

and the bolt head is liable to abrade the carbon fiber shell if it is turned under pressure?

• Options
    edited June 15

https://www.boltscience.com/pages/nutorbolttightening.htm

Basically you should follow the method that's been tested and specified for best results.

Also:

When to Torque the Bolt or Nut?

The answer depends on the specific situation and the type of bolt or nut being used. In general, it’s recommended to torque the side with the smaller bearing face. This is because the frictional forces are greater on the smaller surface, which can lead to uneven tightening and potential damage.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

They must be approaching contract negotiating time. Seems big union manufacturing jobs have a quality issue right before and during negotiations.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

If man was supposed to fly he would be born with wings.