Home Non Cigar Related

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:
    Someday, I will come to possess the intellect to debate @Vision and @VegasFrank Until then, I will hide behind my keyboard and lob pot shots.

Two very different proposals. Frank drops anchor around his facts and then mounts a logical defense of the facts as he believes them to be. If one can prove his facts to be untrue, or if one demonstrates that his logic is faulty he will retreat, re-evaluate, and possibly concede.

Vision believes that the narrative is controlled by emotion, see last page. This is a position which usually wins the day in public opinion, so, there's that.

@Amos_Umwhat my post was a tongue in cheek crack at these two. I’m sure they took it as I intended. 🥸

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Someday, I will come to possess the intellect to debate @Vision and @VegasFrank Until then, I will hide behind my keyboard and lob pot shots.

Two very different proposals. Frank drops anchor around his facts and then mounts a logical defense of the facts as he believes them to be. If one can prove his facts to be untrue, or if one demonstrates that his logic is faulty he will retreat, re-evaluate, and possibly concede.

Vision believes that the narrative is controlled by emotion, see last page. This is a position which usually wins the day in public opinion, so, there's that.

@Amos_Umwhat my post was a tongue in cheek crack at these two. I’m sure they took it as I intended. 🥸

I knew it was, I'm sure they did, and I probably should have included a self assessment.

My sister tells me that people don't know how to take me sometimes. I am often perceived as serious when I'm not being serious, and that's "in person" instead of this 2 dimensional format. Usually, especially here, I'm not being serious. The above remark was semi-serious at best.

Vision's remark on the previous page about emotion controlling the narrative put me to thinking about our recent debate, argument, and the difference between him and Frank in these debates. I admit to being triggered on that one, initially because of Frank's comment that the Founding Fathers lacked the "balls" to accomplish something. Really? The guys who took a rag-tag army of farmers and shopkeepers up against the greatest military might on the planet, and won, lacked balls? Etc.

Alcohol sometimes intensifies rather than depresses an emotional response, so, there's that.

I never have a problem debating Frank, for exactly the reasons I stated. At the Tennessee herf I told the guys that I wished I could be at the Milwaukee herf, if only to meet Frank. My exact words were: "He's as bad as I am". With Frank, I know I might win, or lose the argument / debate, no problem. Facts and logic will dictate the outcome, and either he or I will admit to it.

Something in Pete's tone, as I perceive it, comes across to me as being the same Woke crap I hear from one of my sisters. That sets me on edge to start with. Completely my fault, I know, but I sometimes don't pick up on that right away and I end up superimposing her beliefs on to Pete. My bad. Then it seems very much that Pete constantly moves the target, denies that what he said meant what he said, and he denies even the most apparent of proven facts. Again, possibly just the way I take it, but frustrating nonetheless.

So, in the end, it feels like me and Frank disagreeing might be compared to Hamilton Berger and Perry Mason, with Frank and I taking first one role and then the other. I may win the argument, or I may learn something I didn't know before and change my opinion. When Pete and I disagree, it feels more like Elmer Fudd vs. Bugs Bunny. Sure, Elmer's got a shotgun that should take the rabbit right out, but Bugs ties the barrel in a knot and walks away. Impossible. Very frustrating for Elmer.

There are a couple things I take seriously, God, and Country. Attacks on either can and often will trigger me. Pretty much everything else is fair game. That's who I am.

As far as your own intellect, Jeff, it's not in question. I knew that you were simply being facetious, and took it as such. Please forgive me if you took my remarks in any other way, I assure you that I did not think that you lacked the intelligence to debate anyone, at any time, in any way. Quite the opposite.

@Vision , I hope you have read this far and understand that I accept most of the responsibility for the rancor to be found in some of our exchanges. Please forgive me if I've misunderstood you, or your intentions.

Lastly, a word on opinions. No opinion is worth anything unless it's factual, true, and based in logic. At least, that's my opinion. I place no value in my opinion, as such, until in meets those criteria. Thus, my opinion is always subject to change, but not for emotion.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve, @Amos_Umwhat , you are all good in my book. No offense taken brother. I agree the two dimensional format lacks much. I’ve met and spoke, via in person and Vherf, both of these guys, as well as many others. What I have surmised is getting to know the heart of an individual always gives the best possible picture. We may agree to disagree on some facets of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. In the end though, at the heart of things, we agree we all want very similar experiences and outcomes in life.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

The confluence of logic and emotion is always messy.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    The confluence of logic and emotion is always messy.

That's why I try to think logically and leave emotion out of debate. I try anyway.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that was interesting. I read it all, well most all of it. Why did y'all go nuts over that and skip right over something else that had it all.... politics, wealth/class structure and race. Pete @Vision threw it out there and y'all denied comentary for 5 days and then you all went nuts over retail theft.

• VisionVision Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:
    Well, that was interesting. I read it all, well most all of it. Why did y'all go nuts over that and skip right over something else that had it all.... politics, wealth/class structure and race. Pete @Vision threw it out there and y'all denied comentary for 5 days and then you all went nuts over retail theft.

Yup. I saw a thing.... and it triggered you..... not me. I found it comical and nothing more. Now you can add all the emotion to my post that I did not. Enjoy!

Disclaimer

You You're Yourself Them They ETC is not directed at any person directly.

@Amos_Umwhat

I'm never offended and never emotional on any of the subjects posted here (other than Halfwheel). I think, at times, people take a question and turn it into someone's stance on a subject. If I were to ask " Why aren't you pro Palestine?" I'm not saying I'm in support any part of what's going on, I don't support Hamas, I'm not pro terrorism, and apply that to the other side as well..... I might honestly be asking the question because I'm truly seeking someone's opinion or I might not be educated enough on a subject and want more info. But people carry their own emotion and literally can't see my emotion or lack there of. So they don't know where I'm coming from or why I asked. My GiveAShit level is usually extremely low and on Zoom I think (hope) that's evident.

For me, when someone starts going at the
    person for their opinion you've lost me. You've lost all of my respect to carry on the conversation in a polite manner. That's where gaining the emotion is a win

You mentioned opinion.

noun
    a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

That's why I can't get worked up about someone's opinion. You said it yourself. "There are a couple things I take seriously, God, and Country." I'm not a deeply religious person so if someone attacked my religion...... it's only their opinion....Didn't, Does't, Won't bother or affect me. If it's well thought out then good on them. Still doesn't effect my opinion or change my opinion because it's just an opinion as defined. But for someone invested deeply (God county politics ETC) it may feel like an attack and I do understand that.

Like @Bob_Luken ridiculous post above. He's trying to add emotion to something as significant as noticing belly button lint or a bottle cap. He's inflecting his feelings on some matter that I may have missed into a comical (whimsical??) situation I saw in an airport. @Bob_Luken .... am I controlling the emotion yet? See what I did there?

But seriously. I respect all opinion. It's not up to me to tell anyone their opinion is wrong.

Except about Halfwheel..... they are frauds.

@Vision said:

Like @Bob_Luken ridiculous post above. He's trying to add emotion to something as significant as noticing belly button lint or a bottle cap. He's inflecting his feelings on some matter that I may have missed into a comical (whimsical??) situation I saw in an airport. @Bob_Luken .... am I controlling the emotion yet? See what I did there?

Relax Pete. I felt like I was giving your ignored post a second chance to explode into the brawl it deserved. Seems desperate though, for you you pretend that you trolled me into feeling some sort of way about your post. You shoulda just been patient.

Yes, I see what you did there, you blew it. Now nobody's gonna talk about it.

@Bob_Luken said:

@Vision said:

Relax Pete. I felt like I was giving your ignored post a second chance to explode into the brawl it deserved. Seems desperate though, for you you pretend that you trolled me into feeling some sort of way about your post. You shoulda just been patient.

Bob. It was a total troll job. Honestly.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love a good eulogy fellas, but I'm not dead yet.

When we all can't agree that those convicted of felonies are convicted felons, there's no point in further discourse.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    I love a good eulogy fellas, but I'm not dead yet.

When we all can't agree that those convicted of felonies are convicted felons, there's no point in further discourse.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?

@Vision said:

@Bob_Luken said:

@Vision said:

Oh for f***'s sake! I SAW that. Ray Charles, Ronnie Milsap and Stevie wonder could've seen it too. But you need a seeing eye dog to recognize anyone else doing it. You're like some five-year-old with a magician's kit and all the relatives are clapping for you and you whisper to your mommy, "It's ok mommy, it's not real magic".

edited July 14

@Bob_Luken said:

@Vision said:

@Bob_Luken said:

@Vision said:

Oh for f***'s sake! I SAW that. Ray Charles, Ronnie Milsap and Stevie wonder could've seen it too. But you need a seeing eye dog to recognize anyone else doing it. You're like some five-year-old with a magician's kit and all the relatives are clapping for you and you whisper to your mommy, "It's ok mommy, it's not real magic".

Bob. Stop being a child. Grow up. You're some sort of triggered tough guy now? You're too easy my friend. Shooting fish in a barrel.... more like throwing dynamite into a barrel of a single fish . But thanks for coming to my magic show.... POOF .....💨 now you disappear!

@Vision said:

@Bob_Luken said:

@Vision said:

@Bob_Luken said:

@Vision said:

Bob. Stop being a child. Grow up. You're some sort of triggered tough guy now? You're too easy my friend. Shooting fish in a barrel.... more like throwing dynamite into a barrel of a single fish . But thanks for coming to my magic show.... POOF .....💨 now you disappear!

Sorry dude. It's just jokes. How can I convince you that I can have the same kind of troll fun as you? That's all there is to it. Nothing more.

@Bob_Luken said:

@Vision said:

@Bob_Luken said:

@Vision said:

@Bob_Luken said:

@Vision said:

Sorry dude. It's just jokes. How can I convince you that I can have the same kind of troll fun as you? That's all there is to it. Nothing more.

If that was your intent then that's on me and I owe and apology

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19

A flaw in a Crowdstrike security software update cripples millions of corporate Windows PCs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/barrycollins/2024/07/19/crowdstrike-windows-crisis-is-it-safe-to-turn-on-your-pc/

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Listening to some Love TKO on the way to lunch with Kim.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Listening to some Love TKO on the way to lunch with Kim.

Is that a Frank Zappa song?

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

edited July 20

Joy Reid says Biden surviving COVID will convey a sign of strength equal to Trump surviving an assassination attempt with a gunshot ear.

Reid: "Doesn't that convey exactly the same thing?"

Skip ahead to the 45 second mark for efficiency.
    https://youtu.be/j0vgNfQ9iQE?si=RWmlaA48cmvOxb9m&t=106

I mean a bullet can only kill one person. Maybe two, and if you were that Mila Kunis movie with the guys that shoot curved bullets, maybe seven.

Covid has killed a million people. Which is more powerful?

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.

@VegasFrank said:

I mean a bullet can only kill one person. Maybe two, and if you were that Mila Kunis movie with the guys that shoot curved bullets, maybe seven.

You've had covid.
    Would you rather have covid again, or be shot in the head.

@VegasFrank said:

How many people have guns killed?

@IndustMech said:

@VegasFrank said:

You've had covid.

Today? Shot in the head....

@IndustMech said:

@VegasFrank said:

How many people have guns killed?

I saw Mike McLusky pistol whip a guy to death on Mayor of Kingstown, so that's one.

@IndustMech said:

@VegasFrank said:

You've had covid.

Having covid or getting shot in the ear? Prolly ear. My last round of covid was brutal.

@VegasFrank said:

@IndustMech said:

@VegasFrank said:

You've had covid.

Having covid or getting shot in the ear? Prolly ear. My last round of covid was brutal.

Shot at from 100 yards. You're turning your head, as the shot goes off. Shooter will aim at you ear. Shooter is 20 years old, no military experience