Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Hows your Weather?

Comments

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

@silvermouse said:
    looks like central America is going to get hit with another major hurricane this week:
    https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/084047.shtml?key_messages#contents

Had a five minute "tornado/windstorm" at the house last night, blew 12+ inch limbs off two trees, clipped the house but haven't inspected how much damage yet to the roofs..

Post edited by d_blades on

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

NWS Winter Storm Warning (Avery County)
    HIDE
    Winter Storm Warning issued November 30 at 3:55AM EST until December 01 at 12:00PM EST by NWS Greenville-Spartanburg

...FIRST SIGNIFICANT SNOW OF THE SEASON NEAR THE TENNESSEE BORDER... .In the wake of a seasonably strong cold front, moist northwesterly winds will produce impactful snow accumulations in the mountains of North Carolina near the Tennessee border today into early Tuesday. ...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM THIS MORNING TO NOON EST TUESDAY ABOVE 3500 FEET... ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM THIS MORNING TO NOON EST TUESDAY BELOW 3500 FEET... * WHAT...For the Winter Storm Warning, heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 8 inches, with isolated spots of 12 inches possible in parts of the Smokies. Winds gusting as high as 45 mph. For the Winter Weather Advisory, snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 1 to 3 inches, with locally higher amounts. Winds gusting as high as 40 mph. * WHERE...The North Carolina counties bordering the Tennessee border from Avery to Graham. * WHEN...From 7 AM this morning to noon EST Tuesday. * IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening commute. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snowfall will begin in the higher elevations of the Smokies this morning then spread northeast across the higher elevations through the day. Snow levels will fall through the afternoon, reaching the valleys by evening. The highest snow amounts will be in the Smokies, followed by the Sam`s Gap area, then the Roan Mountain region.

Counties Affected:
    Avery; Graham; Haywood; Madison; Mitchell; Swain; Yancey

Issued by: NWS Greenville-Spartanburg (Western North Carolina and Northwest South Carolina)
    HIDE
    NWS Winter Weather Advisory (Avery County)
    MORE
    Current Conditions
    Newland

Temp: 43.3°F
    Printer Friendly View
    We are at 3800 ft in Avery County three miles from the Tenn border. Got to get the wood stoves going in the house and my studio, and dig out the snow shovel. Thirty odd years ago we would get 3 ft of snow sometimes. Not so much these days.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

A dusting.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

We dodged the bullet on the last storm. Only got about 6 inches of the white stuff. 18 degrees and 45mph made my morning walk interesting.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nor'easter headed here tomorrow, rain and high winds here; heavy, wet snow further inland.

• Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 foot of snow overnight another 6 inches today. Man I'm glad I moved to Massachusetts...

• Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Well, you get to use that new snow blower ^. We got 3", turned to rain at 3 am. Now we have 1 1/2" of slush.

• Options

I plowed from 1am to 3pm. My whole body aches. Too tired to smoke a cigar. I think I'll just take a nap until it's time to go to bed.

• Options

plowing in the city's got to be a royal pain.

• Options

Actually, most of the people with 2wd-only were nice enough to stay the **** off of the roads this time. It was just long and tedious.

• Options

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ooh, nasty. Wet and windy here, but only 35 - 40 mph.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Eight inches of the white stuff and 12 degrees. My truck has a coat of ice underneath the snow. Spent a hour shoveling and chipping the ice from the bird feeders.

• Options

It's 59° here and windy. Supposed to rain later today then drop to the low 30's tonight.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    It's 59° here and windy. Supposed to rain later today then drop to the low 30's tonight.

Yup.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

6 inches of snow ⛄️

• Options

The polar vortex is splitting in two, which may lead to weeks of wild winter weather
    A sudden stratospheric warming event has pushed the polar vortex off the North Pole, sending Arctic air on the move

The American model projection showing the polar vortex shifting southward and elongating across the northeast Atlantic and Northern Europe, extending toward Asia on Jan. 7. (earth.nullschool.net)

• Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^ Show-off...!!! 😝

• Options

Snowing all day here.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our 10-day is low-to-mid 30's and dry, and for mid-January, I will take it.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

-18 at my house this morning, -2 at the hangar 25 miles away. Hangar is usually downwind of town and that urban heat island makes a huge difference. My house is a fair bit outside of town.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

35 deg
    Humidity 85%

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

29 here this morning

• Options

NWS Winter Storm Warning (Avery County)
    HIDE
    Winter Storm Warning issued January 08 at 4:16AM EST until January 09 at 12:00AM EST by NWS Greenville-Spartanburg

...WINTER STORM TO IMPACT PORTIONS OF THE WESTERN CAROLINAS AND NORTHEAST GEORGIA THROUGH THIS EVENING... .A storm system moving across Georgia and the Carolinas will maintain periods of precipitation across the region today, before tapering off this evening. Sufficient cold air will be in place for mainly snow to fall across much of the mountains, plus the North Carolina foothills and I-40 corridor through the Piedmont. Heavy snow accumulations will be possible in these areas. A wintry mix of rain, snow, and sleet will occur closer to the South Carolina border, with many of these areas changing to snow before the event ends. ...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT... * WHAT...Heavy snow. Additional snow accumulations mostly of 3 to 6 inches, with 8 to 10 inches possible on the highest ridges. * WHERE...Most of the mountains and foothills of western North Carolina, from the eastern Smokies and Balsams northeastward. * WHEN...Until midnight EST tonight. * IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening commute. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Temperatures falling into the 20s tonight will cause slippery road conditions to persist well into the weekend following the storm.

Counties Affected:
    Avery; Buncombe; Burke Mountains; Caldwell Mountains; Haywood; Henderson; Macon; Madison; McDowell Mountains; Mitchell; Northern Jackson; Polk Mountains; Rutherford Mountains; Southern Jackson; Transylvania; Yancey

Issued by: NWS Greenville-Spartanburg (Western North Carolina and Northwest South Carolina)
    We are in Avery County with six inches so far and it's coming down hard.

• Options
    TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the Raleigh area is getting the edge of that storm @First_Warrior. We are SE of Raleigh and have been getting rain on and off. Supposed to change to snow tonight, but I don't expect we will get much, if any accumulation.