Home Non Cigar Related

Rock My Ride

14567810»

Comments

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    @CalvinAndHobo , seriously, the sheepskin is money well spent. I've had mine since 1992. It's kind of retired to the tractor now, but I could still throw it on the bike at any time. It's black, so it goes with anything. Some people say "it's ugly", but I don't have any eyeballs in my backside, can't see it when you're sitting on it. And, best of all, I can still feel my feet at the end of the ride, not to forget the aforementioned backside. Rolls right up and strap it to the trunk when you don't want it on. Keeps the seat cool when you're not on the bike, allows airflow and blood circulation when in use.

One question, say I forget it’s on my seat and it gets rained on and left there. How long does it take to dry? And will it start to stink?

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26

@CalvinAndHobo said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    @CalvinAndHobo , seriously, the sheepskin is money well spent. I've had mine since 1992. It's kind of retired to the tractor now, but I could still throw it on the bike at any time. It's black, so it goes with anything. Some people say "it's ugly", but I don't have any eyeballs in my backside, can't see it when you're sitting on it. And, best of all, I can still feel my feet at the end of the ride, not to forget the aforementioned backside. Rolls right up and strap it to the trunk when you don't want it on. Keeps the seat cool when you're not on the bike, allows airflow and blood circulation when in use.

One question, say I forget it’s on my seat and it gets rained on and left there. How long does it take to dry? And will it start to stink?

Not long, and no, not really. The wool sheds water pretty well, and it takes a lot of rain to reach the leather, especially if you cut it to drape over the seat so that the water can't pool up under the sheepskin.

For example, I used to ride my Electra Glide to work all the time. A couple times on rainy days the EMS crews would come in laughing "You're going home with a wet butt today". "Nope", I'd say. They were skeptical, but where the sheepskin drapes, most of the water wicks off, and when I got ready to go home I just rolled it up and bungee'd it on the top-case, dry seat beneath. Hang it out on the clothesline, or drape it over the fence after the rain ends and it's ready to go in a day.

Maintenance. I've washed it in the washing machine on delicate with Woolite, hang it out to dry. I have put it in the dryer on the "fluff / air" setting, no heat. However, the best cleaning method I've found has been deep soak and stir in a tub of warm water. After any of these kinds of cleaning it's best to treat it with lanolin, which can be hard to find. Go someplace with equine supplies, Tractor Supply or Co-0p, Rural King if that's available. I've only had to treat it 4 or 5 times in over 30 years. Vacuum cleaning at the car wash is usually enough to take care or normal wear and use.

Final note, good route up through Kansas. Much better than interstate. That southwest quadrant of Kansas is interesting topographically. Rolling hills that look like an endless field of buttocks in all directions to the horizon. lol Watch for critters.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    @Wylaff are these also wild? Any way to tell? They were outside of town east of Kayenta, AZ if that matters.

It's hard to be positive without seeing if they are shoed, but judging from the fact that there seem to be various levels of nutrition among the group, they are likely wild. Generally they owned herds you see are all pretty well fed.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...