Home Non Cigar Related

Rock My Ride

Comments

• TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Diver43 said:

@TRayB said:
    @CalvinAndHobo , my go to resource when travelling out of state with a firearm is https://www.handgunlaw.us/ . I used to print out the documents for each state I would be travelling thru, and note which states had a Duty to Inform requirement. I've only once been pulled over while carrying, in SD, which doesn't have a Duty to Inform requirement, so I did not inform. My personal belief is, since I have no intention of shooting a police officer, or being shot by one, the firearm is a non-issue, and is best left out of the interaction. I have heard credible stories of people being disarmed by the officer, who may not be familiar with the particular firearm model. Not all police are "gun guys". Also, if being disarmed, the officer will most likely tell you not to touch the firearm, meaning he or she will be reaching into your concealment to take it from you. There is serious potential for mishaps during that procedure. I have also heard stories of the firearm being returned in a disassembled condition, while being told "Do not re-assemble this until I have left".

That being said, my plan is to inform the officer IF the situation leads to the officer asking me to step out of the vehicle. I do not want anyone to be surprised, which only leads to increased confrontation. I understand the situation is somewhat different on a motorcycle, but if the firearm is concealed well enough, the situation is similar. If asked to step off, most likely you will be frisked, so prior to stepping off, I would inform.

Just my $.02, along with the link to the resource. I believe there is also a handgunlaw.us app.

Stay safe, and thanks for the great pics, keep 'em coming.

Driving home from the Guns and Ammo South East Shoot in Tennessee, I was pulled over by a Trooper in Georgia. He asked if there were any forearms in the car. The wife was ready to panic, I answered with a simple Yes Sir. He asked where? I replied with one on my hop, another in the door next to the wife and 12 or 13 in the trunk. Without batting an eye he said, let's just leave them there. He issued me a written warning and asked where I had been. Told him about the shoot and he wished us a good day and drive safe. They aren't all a-holes

I'da said "Four"

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    No way, that's a mistake...

FIFY

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

With a nice windshield like yours I figured all you had to do was duck down and drive a little faster.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalvinAndHobo said:

@Bob_Luken said:
    With a nice windshield like yours I figured all you had to do was duck down and drive a little faster.

It was coming down something serious. Somewhere around dime sized hail, with quarter sizes sprinkled in every now and then. With rain, normally the windshield gets most of it, but with the hail it was too heavy to be moved off its path, so I got hit pretty good. Couldn’t go fast either, since it was kind of like riding on marbles that explode when you run over them. Luckily that gas station appeared after about 2 miles so all’s well that ends well. I was debating just pulling over on the side of the road and hiding under a tree right before it did, and letting the insurance handle the rest.

I'm glad you're OK. I wasn't serious. I was only going for lols

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:

@CalvinAndHobo said:

@Bob_Luken said:

It was coming down something serious. Somewhere around dime sized hail, with quarter sizes sprinkled in every now and then. With rain, normally the windshield gets most of it, but with the hail it was too heavy to be moved off its path, so I got hit pretty good. Couldn’t go fast either, since it was kind of like riding on marbles that explode when you run over them. Luckily that gas station appeared after about 2 miles so all’s well that ends well. I was debating just pulling over on the side of the road and hiding under a tree right before it did, and letting the insurance handle the rest.

I'm glad you're OK. I wasn't serious. I was only going for lols

I gave you a pity one.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spectacular! Many find the Grand Canyon a disappointment, because they're standing at the top and mistakenly believe that they're taking in the whole thing. Not so. Standing at the top, the other side doesn't look that far away. It is. At best you can only see about 20% from the top.

If you could hike down to Indian Gardens (unless the DEI people have changed the name) you can walk out to the overlook and see the other 80% below. Probably not possible for you this trip, it's an all day thing and may require a permit.

Not trying to discourage you, at all, definitely go and see it, but if it seems underwhelming, know that you're only seeing a small bit of what's really there. I think it was Coronado's people who "discovered" it, and thought they'd cross it by sundown. I can't remember, but I think 3 or 4 weeks later they found a way around.

Great pictures and great trip, Calvin. I'm so jealous. Ride on!

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's too bad about Oak Creek being closed, you'll be able to see it from the highway.

A little dirt never hurt
  • TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Starting to see some green, instead of all brown.

edited August 25

@CalvinAndHobo , seriously, the sheepskin is money well spent. I've had mine since 1992. It's kind of retired to the tractor now, but I could still throw it on the bike at any time. It's black, so it goes with anything. Some people say "it's ugly", but I don't have any eyeballs in my backside, can't see it when you're sitting on it. And, best of all, I can still feel my feet at the end of the ride, not to forget the aforementioned backside. Rolls right up and strap it to the trunk when you don't want it on. Keeps the seat cool when you're not on the bike, allows airflow and blood circulation when in use.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Calvin, from Taos are you going up over Raton Pass and then on through Cimmaron Gorge? Lovely ride if you do. Not much after that, though, at least not if you go straight through the Oklahoma Panhandle, "No Man's Land". 107 F last time I did it, got a little road hypnosis going straight and flat for SO long in that kind of heat. Be careful. North up I-25 is an option, and actually prettier, but it is interstate and a major truck route, which sucks. Be safe.