Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Rock My Ride

Comments

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calvin, if you are going through Fairfield on the way home you can get some of the best damn tacos in all of Iowa from my daughter's shop. She is open til 230.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dirtdude said:
    Calvin, if you are going through Fairfield on the way home you can get some of the best damn tacos in all of Iowa from my daughter's shop. She is open til 230.

That’s not going to be on my route, but give me the name anyway in case I’m in that area in the future

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect you'll find yourself back in the saddle sooner than you predicted. Ain't it great?

;)

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    I spent about 10 minutes talking with an Indian construction worker at a gas station. He loved my bike, and it never even occurred to me until I arrived there that maybe my bike being named an Indian could be considered offensive. I asked him about that, and he said that’s not true. They all call each other Indians, and no one on the reservation uses the term Native American. someone else came over and joined in (a much older man) because he also wanted to talk about my bike. He said that white people are just trying to change the name to Native American because they’re embarrassed at how stupid they were hundreds of years ago. Now the Indians all view it as funny, calling each other Indians is both them taking ownership of what used to be a pejorative, and a reminder that white people aren’t all that smart. He told me to refer to them as Indians when talking with people back home in the future, so I will.

Yep. You will find that across the nations. My family has the same views.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

I work with Wampanoag and that is their take also.

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YankeeMan said:
    Why aren’t we listening? We make up names without talking to the real people.

Because they want to be called Indians to remember our stupidity. We can't be calling people things that make us look bad, now can we?

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see changing Redskins because that is derogatory. But Indians, Chiefs, Braves and Blackhawks are proud names.

• Options

@YankeeMan said:
    I can see changing Redskins because that is derogatory. But Indians, Chiefs, Braves and Blackhawks are proud names.

So this is going to sound like a joke, but I'm being 100% serious. The Redskins name is derogatory because the team is horribly run and Dan Snyder is an incompetent moron. He's owned the team for 24 years, in that time they've won 2 playoff games. They've never had an 11 win season in those 24 years. Their stadium drips poop and plss on fans regularly. That's just some of what comes to mind about them.

If that team were named the Calvins, I would find it derogatory. If the Patriots or the Steelers were named after me, that would be pretty cool.

• Options

The name Redskins came long before pro football. It was a term used by whites to describe Indians in the old west.

• Options

@YankeeMan said:
    The name Redskins came long before pro football. It was a term used by whites to describe Indians in the old west.

Right I know, it's just a matter of something crappy being named after someone, as opposed to something well made and well liked. For example, I wonder how actual Gurkhas feel about Gurkha cigars being named after them. In my opinion, the Washington team being called The Redskins is not offensive because of the use of the word Redskins, it's offensive because they're a dumpster fire of an organization.

Calling something The Calvins wouldn't bother me on the basis of it being a slur, it would bother me if it was something I didn't want to be associated with though.

• Options

I agree. The Washington group didn’t do themselves any favors. They took a bad name and made it worse.

• Options

@Stubble said:
    At any point, at any time, someone looking to be offended will be offended for any reason. Fvck'm all.

You knew my grandmother!

• Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess we got the Northern border line correct 🤓

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Options

When you enter Hanksville, UT. There’s all kinds of signs warning you that this is the last place to fill up for 100 miles, and there’s no service stations of any kind along the Utah Bicentennial Highway.

It was 108 degrees by this point, and I was feeling it, being from Iowa and all. The nice lady at the gas station let me stand inside the cooler for a bit.

The ride from there was incredible, the heat made it so much more intense than it otherwise would have been, and I was full of energy. It was like my body knew I was in an inhospitable place, and was trying to do what it could to get me out. I knew I had nowhere to stop, and if something happened I had no service, and basically no cars passing by. There wasn’t a single house or place of business the entire 100 miles, just me and the desert. I didn’t take any pictures until the end of it, because when I got below 20 miles an hour, it felt like I was melting, so I decided to wait until I was closer to civilization and just keep going. It got up to 114 degrees according to my bike’s screen.

It was an unbelievably beautiful area, and now that I’m in my room, I wish I had toughed it out and taken some pictures, but whatever. I kind of entered a trance about halfway through that 100 miles when it was above 110, where I was fully aware of my surroundings, but would be seeing other scenes play out in my head of random stuff. Now I really want to try a traditional Native American sweat lodge at some point in my life and see what that’s like.

This is the edge of the Moki Dugway, a 15 mph 10% grade gravel road that winds back and forth down the side of whatever mountain this is, about 10 miles away from Mexican Hat, UT where I am now. I didn’t mess around on it, just slow and gentle the whole way down.

I knew today was going to be intense, but it’s really hard to describe. It was just incredible, and I hope I never forget what it felt like. No sun burns either, Neutrogena for the win again.

Yeah I hear you about the heat @Amos_Umwhat . That's kind of what I'm looking forward to in a sick way, this was my favorite part of last year's trip ^^^ , so I'm chasing that feeling. I have a feeling that Taos section will be RV city, but we'll have to see. Heat wise, I have this nifty jacket that's perforated to allow wind in,

and I'm already one of those people who tries to drink a gallon of water every day, so that won't be a problem to make myself force it down. The thing I'm most worried about is a heat related flat tire, but if I can't patch it on the side of the road at least I have AAA. Let me know if you have a good recommendation for a tire repair kit with a pump, preferably that doesn't take up a lot of space, I have no first hand experience with that as of yet, knock on wood.