Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Rock My Ride

Comments

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    yeah, you've got a back rest, and a good sized duffel will hold more than a tour-pack anyway. I put my sleeping bag between my tour pack and me on the pillion, then bungee my sheepskin across it and down onto my seat so that it's like a chair.

I highly recommend the sheepskin. First time I rode from Tennessee to Sturgis SD and back, when I got home I ordered the sheepskin. They send you the whole thing, and you cut it to fit. That was 30 years ago, and I'm still using it now. It's seen me through 3 motorcycles. Well worth the money. I think it cost $90 back then, probably closer to $200 now, thanks to our glorious leaders injudicious use of their printing press. But, that's a rant for a different thread.

Yeah I've already got an Airhawk seat cushion from my last bike because that seat was incredibly uncomfortable, but there's no need for it on this one at least as of yet (I'll still pack it just in case). Corbin seats are worth every penny.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

True, Corbin is great. Pack the air hawk is a good idea. I have one of those too, but use it on the tractor more often than the bike. We had a Corbin on the wife’s Sportster, excellent choice

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalvinAndHobo said:

I leave from home July 3rd. Google won't let me add all the waypoints and backroads that I plan on taking, since I plan to avoid interstates as much as possible, but this is a close enough outline of what the trip will be, unless something throws a wrench into my plans. It'll be the southern part first, then going north and back east along the Canadian border on the farm roads. The total trip should be somewhere between 20-25 days. It would be very cool to do what Davis did and meet up with anyone who lives along the route, but I can't give exact dates for when I'll be at a location, because of things like rain, or cool places that I want to spend extra time at.

Ahem....if you need a bunk for a night....I might be on your route.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calvin looks like an awesome trip. Good luck. @CalvinAndHobo

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

You better stop in Davenport for Taco Dreams

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

I’m glad you modified your route from West Glacier south to take you through the Swan Valley. Prepare to be gob smacked. From there down through the Gallatin valley (Bozeman) and through Yellowstone and Teton National Parks will be unbelievable as well. Looks like a fantastic journey-I’m sure Davis would have loved to ride along. Safe travels!

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought you could only go counter-clockwise south of the equater?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    I thought you could only go counter-clockwise south of the equater?

Is it spelled equater if you live on a flat eath?

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got me. Didn't realize I misspelled it.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    I debated starting a new thread, but I think Davis would have enjoyed the idea of others going on bike trips and using his thread to share their experiences, so that's what I'm going to do as I travel.

This is going to be my updated route after doing a bunch of research and trying to get the most beautiful roads into it, while also avoiding any sort of populated areas. (I won't actually be passing through Denver, Google just won't let me modify my route any further.) I'll be going counter clockwise, so that if I'm running ahead of schedule, I can spend more time getting lost when something catches my eye in the mountains of Utah and Colorado, which is what I'm most excited to be seeing. I'll be leaving Monday July 3rd, and getting back sometime around July 25th, and I'm very excited.

Absolutely awesome! I've ridden about half those roads, and look forward to riding the rest. Safe travels, try and keep us informed when you can.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    Someone just offered to sell me meth here in North Dakota. May need to rethink my plan of staying at the cheapest hotel in the area when I’m ready to stop for the day. Maybe we’ll go second cheapest from now on.

That crap is everywhere! 50, 60, 70 years ago, we didn't know better. "It's not a drug, it's a super-vitamin!" they said. Now? Who's stupid enough to start doing that stuff? Is there anyone left in the country who doesn't know someone who's life, or family has been destroyed by it? Good grief. OK, off my soapbox.

True, cheapest hotel doesn't count if you don't wake up in the morning.

Oh, and are you going counter-clockwise?

• Options

If anyone wants to google any of that, feel free. All I’ve got is my phone and googling stuff that isn’t just a basic question is too big a hassle.

• Options

My grandparents were from there, about 10 miles south of the Canadian border up in the north east corner.

Farmers, mostly.

None of them were fat, but it was the mid 60's when I remember going there, and nobody was fat in the 60's. For verification of that statement, watch the movie Midnight Cowboy. Shot in NY, they just filmed it out in the street, everyday people walking by in the background.

Look at them.

No fatties.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive farms with massive acreage and lots of big shiny equipment on display does not make me think they are worth millions. I just assume the bank owns all of it.

Also, The difference in land use between Minnesota and North Dakota is probably regulatory. Has Minnesota been a democrat run state for a while? I don’t know. I’m just asking. Perhaps while ND is more likely to push their bank-owned farming businesses to thrive, MN is more likely to just choke the life out of anything they can get their hands on. Just a wild guess. I might be wrong.

Have a fantastic trip Calvin! Keep posting us up on everything. Be safe!

• Options

Yeah I don’t know either, all I know is canola is an incredibly beautiful crop.