Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Post Every Boring Aspect Of Your Mundane Life Thread

Comments

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    I feel your pain ^. At least it isn't eating into what I put in, yet. % Inflation is taking care of the unearned profit..Calvin is probably right---invest in actual stuff that you can use.

There's a big downside to it though that's worth keeping in mind. If you want your investment to earn you money while you own it, as opposed to only earning you money once you sell it, then usually it means it's some form of job to sweat the asset as you and other business owners already know. That's why stock was such a hit with people, you don't really have to do any work and it's earning money for you while you own it. I'm young and childless so I have the energy and time to do that, but it's not for everyone.

Side note, do any of you guys do your own investing where you're picking your own stocks or mutual funds? I'm thinking about gambling a small amount of money that I can afford to lose (since that's my personal view of what the stock market is). There's only one company that has an approved small pox vaccine, which is what they're using to treat monkeypox. Cases are steadily rising, and I feel like the world is going to panic all over again as a result, even though it's only killed 4 people so far. If billions of doses of vaccine are demanded, then look out. Anyone have any thoughts on that line of thinking? Here's the company:

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/bvnry/

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to dabble with mine quite a bit. I would break it down to where at least 75% was “secure” investing and would play the market with the remaining funds. Looking at the medical field is always tempting. The only downside is that if said company does not receive the patent on the vaccine then it leaves the door open for the pharmaceutical monsters to take over and eliminate them with their ginormous advertising budgets. I think it would be worth the gamble but you would have to keep a close eye on the news surrounding it. I always like to try tech companies and the like; however, my biggest payoff ever was investing in Dollar General.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I set up a profit sharing plan in which I am the only employee, separate from my wife's psp plan. Unlike a 401k qrp the max one can tax shelter is 20% of net income up to $52k a year. The downside is if you have employees they are also included in the plan when they are fully vested.

I pay an asset mgr and our CPA to handle all the bs and tax filings, worth it. The asset manager bills a small percentage of the portfolio value quarterly and has, over the years, tripled what I have saved.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the green, lying 4, hitting 5?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that’s the tee box, it’s a really short 4 or a really long 3…

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say normal 3 but I agree with Paul because he's alittle scary

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tee box is down the bottom at the tree line. It is an uphill par 4 about 350

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got a car wash I love the feeling

• Options

@First_Warrior said:
    So I'm watching a bit of the tube and Lucy is at the table prepping green beans to blanch for the freezer. Our dog ,Lady is close to and watching Lucy sorting raw beans. Lucy caved and offered Lady a bean. Lady accepted and continued to place close attention and got more beans for her effort. When Lucy was done and Lady saw no more beans were coming her way Lady laid down next to my chair. After a while a horrible stench arose around me. Light a fuc ing match.
    Don't feed your dogs raw green beans guys.

Do you ever dry any of your beans?

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will drying them diminish the stench?

@Rdp77

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options

@Stubble said:
    Will drying them diminish the stench?

@Rdp77

Not sure…I’ll have to try and get back to you

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dried some years ago. Used needles and heavy thread to hang the beans in a long bunch. .The old timers called them "leather britches beans".

@Rdp77 said:

@First_Warrior said:
    So I'm watching a bit of the tube and Lucy is at the table prepping green beans to blanch for the freezer. Our dog ,Lady is close to and watching Lucy sorting raw beans. Lucy caved and offered Lady a bean. Lady accepted and continued to place close attention and got more beans for her effort. When Lucy was done and Lady saw no more beans were coming her way Lady laid down next to my chair. After a while a horrible stench arose around me. Light a fuc ing match.
    Don't feed your dogs raw green beans guys.

Do you ever dry any of your beans?

• Options

@First_Warrior said:
    Dried some years ago. Used needles and heavy thread to hang the beans in a long bunch. .The old timers called them "leather britches beans".

The old timers here dried them that way. I use a bed sheet. Lay them on it and spread them out on a car hood or in the bed of a truck. A couple good sunny days and they’re dry. I’ll dry them and then freeze them. People here call them shuck beans.

• Options

Hahahahaa perfect!

• Options

Hopefully they won't cut themselves with it like Robby did

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jrflickster said:
    One of the kids decided they needed my nice cutter more than I did maybe it will magically show up tomorrow kids are the worst

Make sure they don't take it to school. In todays reality they could be charged with terrorist acts.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

I spent all day micro-managing customer resolutions (herding cats) at the expense of my own projects and now I just want to relax and enjoy some tobacco but my Wife has friends coming over for dinner so I feel like I should clean myself up instead.

• Options
    MrShrekMrShrek Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing like changing out the fan motor on the condenser for the upstairs bedrooms just a couple of days before vacation. I swear that unit knows when I have extra money or a trip coming up. Thanks to @Jrflickster for the advice too.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

checking out art museum bathrooms

The American Alliance of Museums reveals the results of a recent poll ranking the nation’s best museum bathrooms.

https://hyperallergic.com/753646/best-museum-bathrooms-in-the-us-ranked/

• Options
    edited August 2022