Home Non Cigar Related

Post Every Boring Aspect Of Your Mundane Life Thread

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BadSneakers, is there a pilot, or just an igniter?  Also is the blower not starting at all?  Can you post a picture?  I'm probably late to the party, and it's already fixed but inquiring minds and such.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drove from Anaheim to Gilroy today 5 hrs 15 minutes including 3 quick pit stops.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• BadSneakersBadSneakers Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭
    @BadSneakers, is there a pilot, or just an igniter?  Also is the blower not starting at all?  Can you post a picture?  I'm probably late to the party, and it's already fixed but inquiring minds and such.
    Igniter. Burner starts, runs for about 30 seconds to a minute then stops. Blower never even tries to start up. That's why I tend to think there's an issue with the blower - the burner is perhaps just stopping because the temperature limit switch is kicking in. Thanks 

I've been trying to troubleshoot the thing all day so that I don't have to call out the oil company and pay the huge flat rate plus who knows what to get it fixed. If I have to call them out and it ends up being something really basic/obvious I'm probably going to stick my head in heay machinery.
    It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating. - Jack Handey 
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion it's the blower.  The safety shuts the pilot out due to no blower.  The older units don't have boards that run the system just wiring, if you can find the wiring diagram you use a meter to make sure it has power.  If not you probably have a short somewhere.  That's another issue.  If it has power but won't turn than replace the blower.  Not an expert but hopefully that helps.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    There's a flame sensor that tells the blower when to kick in after the burner lights.   It's not talking to the blower.  Probably the photocell eye is sooted up.   Youtube is your friend here.  You should be able to swing the burner unit out of the way and get to the sensor eye.

Overtemp limiter is kicking in and shutting the burner down so it doesn't melt down your combustion chamber.  
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • BadSneakersBadSneakers Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna look into that next, thanks @Trykflyr_1. And yes, youtube is awesome - the number of things I have been able to fix thanks to YT videos is amazing. 
    It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating. - Jack Handey 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NorCalR1 said:
    Drove from Anaheim to Gilroy today 5 hrs 15 minutes including 3 quick pit stops.

Impressive
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    NorCalR1 said:

Impressive
    Got on the road at 7:00am avoided all traffic. It’s a brutal drive if you leave any later. Got home and still had the entire day 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    ordered a belt for my dryer.  $9 on Amazon plus guaranteed next day delivery vs. $30 from the only "local" store (30 miles away) that carries it or $17-$24+a week to be ordered at other stores like Lowes or HD or True Value.

A freaking $500 appliance busted by a $10 part.  Youtube is awesome, because I had it figured out in about 5 minutes without a service call.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pay attention to the idler pulley  orientation when you do the repair, don't ask me how I know.
    So the injector was running,  it just wasn't lighting off....   when the flame sensor didn't see a solid burn it cut fuel off and the whole thing reset.  Glad you're back up.
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Furnace update:

Tried a few more things last night/this morning - no dice. Called out the repair guy. Igniter was completely dead (to be fair, it had been in service for about 43 years). Replaced igition box and the furnace is now running perfectly. 

Thanks everyone who provided suggestions! 
    Thanks for putting the mojo on me. Got up this morning and it was 59 degrees in The house. The oil burner would come on and run for about 20 seconds and then shut off. Called a buddy of mine that does hvac and he came over replaced the nozzle, cleaned the ignighters and good to go. so who's going to be next???? LOL The whammy is officially on!!!
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
    edited January 2020
    Paul, @Trykflyr_1 started it when his heater started clicking out a Morse code SOS. (or was he second) Got that fixed yet?

^^^   The brain board is out for repair.  Looking at 2 months turn around time but it's cheaper even with the fuel cost than replacing it.  The yahoos wanted 600+ for a new version.   
    Started my career with a really really bad haircut 40 years ago today.  Damn, I'm old.
    Ha, I'm nearly twice your age and my brain board is still out for repair.
    Happy birthday!
    edited January 2020
    LOL...Just to clarify @silvermouse,  that's the day I got to Lackland AFB for basic..
    Took a class on Emotional Intelligence today and had a great bowl of pork pozole for lunch, it was a good day.
    Started my career with a really really bad haircut 40 years ago today.  Damn, I'm old.
    Ha, I'm nearly twice your age and my brain board is still out for repair.
    Happy birthday!
    Oh....totally misunderstood your post. Still, you have a ways to go before you can proudly wear the mantle of oldfart  :p
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh....totally misunderstood your post. Still, you have a ways to go before you can proudly wear the mantle of oldfart  :p
    Thanks for that, Edward @silvermouse...  👴🏻
    Update on my dryer.  Belt came yesterday, but I couldn't get to it until this morning.  

It seems my dryer is more complicated to disassemble than all the ones they show in the repair videos.  Most have a couple screws you remove to disconnect the front from the top and then you can pop-off the top from under the control panel and slide it out.

My top was bolted into the rear of the dryer under the control panel, so I had to remove it in order to access the interior.

Took a bit of fiddling to get the belt on the drive motor (the tension pulley was easy) because you're working blind.

Spent most of my time trying to get the front back on.  One side would go in and the other would pop and the drum would fall.  Reverse, repeat. Finally got it back together.

Ran my son's couple of pairs of jeans through the dryer 'cause he was out of pants.  Wearing shorts to school isn't odd for him in cold weather, but it was a little odd at around 15 degrees yesterday.  He tried to dry a pair over the radiator, but they weren't ready until today.

Running great.  Still think there's some crappy design happening.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.

This delightful musical homage to the challenges of pre-commissioning a new CERN detector by master’s students Panagiota Chatzidaki and Anna Önnerstad features ukuleles, local donkeys and hijinks in the cleanroom.

Not too sure scientists should make music videos, nonetheless here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0RS--32VvA&utm_source=Nature+Briefing&utm_campaign=251353de20-briefing-dy-20200122&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c9dfd39373-251353de20-43298189

• Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel said:
    Update on my dryer.  Belt came yesterday, but I couldn't get to it until this morning.  

It seems my dryer is more complicated to disassemble than all the ones they show in the repair videos.  Most have a couple screws you remove to disconnect the front from the top and then you can pop-off the top from under the control panel and slide it out.

My top was bolted into the rear of the dryer under the control panel, so I had to remove it in order to access the interior.

Took a bit of fiddling to get the belt on the drive motor (the tension pulley was easy) because you're working blind.

Spent most of my time trying to get the front back on.  One side would go in and the other would pop and the drum would fall.  Reverse, repeat. Finally got it back together.

Ran my son's couple of pairs of jeans through the dryer 'cause he was out of pants.  Wearing shorts to school isn't odd for him in cold weather, but it was a little odd at around 15 degrees yesterday.  He tried to dry a pair over the radiator, but they weren't ready until today.

If you ever need to repair appliances again,  I found a great website. It's repairclinic.com. They have how to video's on just about anything and their prices are very good. I've been using them for years and never disappointed.You provide the make and model number and the site brings up all the info on that appliance. They even have a list of possible causes for what's wrong. Plus they have a one year return policy on ALL parts. 
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just took 5mg of Crestor for first time, starting to feel pretty damn strange 
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    Sleddog46 said:
    Martel said:

If you ever need to repair appliances again,  I found a great website. It's repairclinic.com. They have how to video's on just about anything and their prices are very good. I've been using them for years and never disappointed.You provide the make and model number and the site brings up all the info on that appliance. They even have a list of possible causes for what's wrong. Plus they have a one year return policy on ALL parts. 

I've ordered parts from them before.  But Prime shipping got it here earlier than they could.

I did watch their video.  It was helpful, but there was one where I guy stuck his phone back in the dryer so you could actually see the belt attaching to the motor that wound up being the most useful to me.  Theirs was too idealized on this step.

And it's always so much easier for them than it is for me.  None of my pieces go back together that easily.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's those damned extra parts that always get me.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

" Using the third thumb on your second left hand and, while holding everything together with all four right hands, gently but firmly press the latch to allow the parts to fit together."  

Welcome to the world of Learjets.  Motto: You can see it or you can touch it, but never both.