Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Post Every Boring Aspect Of Your Mundane Life Thread

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

Smoking a pipe while working from a garage, a fly started to harass me. I was able to kill it using the technique taught me on the vHerf from one of the regular members there, @IndustMech, @Significant3, or maybe @EgoBoundary, and now I'm overjoyed.

You slowly put your hands on either side of the fly, above the fly and about six inches apart and then clap your hands. The fly will sense your movement and fly up into your hands.

I left my Bug-a-Salt gun in the back yard where I smoke after work.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a pet fly for a day at work.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got an email from zoom on my work email this morning informing me that they sold the personal data that they collected from me. Position in the company, location, email, and phone number was sold to marketing firms looking to expand their business.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/zoom-app-personal-data-selling-facebook-lawsuit-alleges/

Looks like they're closing the barn door on this after all the horses have bolted.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one saw this coming, rolls eyes.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Received a phone call today claiming to be from Publishers Clearing House informing me that I'd won $3.5 million. Went to the PCH scam site, where PCH states clearly that they never call anyone to inform them about major prize awards. $3.5 million sounds major to me.

I'm still debating calling the number the phone call told me to call just to hear the rest of the scam. My guess is they'll need my SSAN and bank account numbers to verify my "prize delivery", as well as a check for taxes on the 3.5 million.

What do y'all think?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Call them and put them on hold.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

Only if you've got time to kill. I've been known to yell at people walking up to the house from the street "No!" and "Leave!" when I don't want to hear another sales pitch.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Patrickbrick said:
    Call them and put them on hold.

I've been known to call and give a little blast from a small air horn.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

Do they have LiveBarn?

MOW badge received.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Patrickbrick said:
    Do they have LiveBarn?

Not sure what that is, but I think I remember seeing a sign for it at the rink

• Options

LiveBarn is a live streaming service for ice rinks. It allows you to watch what is happing on the ice from anywhere. Meaning you can tailgate outside and run inside if you see your daughter coming off the ice.

MOW badge received.
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

The price of lumber is going up again.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

You’re probably catching a lot from the Oregon fire and now there are some in the Midwest too.

• Options
    skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

So my 2005 Evinrude E-Tec 150 HP (recently acquired by me) started missing under power. Pretty sure its a fuel delivery issue, so I got it running in my driveway and rev'd it up. As it started bogging down, I give the primer bulb a few squeezes. Yep, that made it start running great and then really start running very, very fast. Then - immediate shut down. Crap in pants moment. Turn the key - nada. No attempt to crank at all and check engine light flashing rapidly. Now really crapping in pants....

No idea why it won't even attempt to crank. But I jumped the starter just to make sure it wasn't siezed. That works. Ok, can clean out my pants now....

So, why no crank with the key?- also no fuel pump turning on.... Hmm. Buy some software to connect the EMM to my laptop. Well, its is RS232, so now have to find a RS 232 to serial cable and adpt it to the 3 pin cable on the engine, and then re-learn how to set up a com port which I haven't done in like 20 years...

Anyhow finally get the cable connected and talking to my laptop, and pull the codes. Turns out squeezing the primer bulb injected foo much fuel into the engine and it shut down on a hard code 57 (fast engine speed in relation to the Throttle position sensor). So, Once I cleared that code, got it to start again. Replaced tank supply fuel line, the anti-siphon valve, and fuel filter. Seems to be running good now. (I think it was the anti siphon valve getting stuck). Water test this weekend. Fuel pump on order just in case....

Just another day (actually this took a couple weeks) in the glorious life of someone too poor to buy a new engine :D

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Options

Always had good luck with my Evinrude's, not sure I'd get one now that they are out of the outboard business. Hope you got it fixed.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skydiverD said:
    So my 2005 Evinrude E-Tec 150 HP (recently acquired by me)

blah, blah, blah...

Just another day (actually this took a couple weeks) in the glorious life of someone too poor to buy a new engine :D

You could just buy your fish like a normal person and make life easier on yourself.

Wait... I'm giving advice to a guy who likes jumping out of airplanes?

LOL. Glad you enjoy your hobbies.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@peter4jc said:

blah, blah, blah...

Isn't that the whole point of this thread? :D Blah Blah Blah....

• Options

@d_blades said:
    Always had good luck with my Evinrude's, not sure I'd get one now that they are out of the outboard business. Hope you got it fixed.

Yeah, I have noticed that finding parts already is not quite that easy. Of course the age may also have something to do with that too. So when the new fuel pump arrives, even if I don't need it, I'm likely to keep it anyhow.

• Options

It puts the tobacco in the cart and then it takes it out again.
    Rinse and repeat.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spent an hour trimming some bushes in the front yard and cleaning up the mess and now I'm shot. I don't like how little stamina I have and how easily I fatigue. Some of that's my own doggone fault because I generally do as little as needed to get by and rarely push myself, so when I have to do more than just general living I find out the hard way how pissed out of shape I am. I know it's also related in part to my heart's condition. Four years ago I felt like I was 55, now I feel like I'm 75.

I need to start pushing myself to do more than the bare minimum. But it's hard when you're lazy and all your life you've been thinking, "If I can just get to retirement... then I can sit and watch the grass grow..." I'm constantly amazed at how good I am at doing nothing; just when I don't think I can get any lazier, somehow I do. Maybe that's a part of why cigar smoking is so perfect for me; it gives me a great excuse for sitting down and not doing anything I don't feel like doing.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the lazy club. If I get the chance to do nothing, that's what I do. I get winded getting INTO bed.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try working in construction with a crew young enough to be your sons....Lost 5lbs this week cause of the heat.....But I slept good.
    Talk about getting depressed. We were working in a 55+ community this week when one of the guys said jokingly "You should move in here".....I could have four years ago....Sucks getting old.

• Options

@ForMud said:
    Try working in construction with a crew young enough to be your sons....Lost 5lbs this week cause of the heat.....But I slept good.
    Talk about getting depressed. We were working in a 55+ community this week when one of the guys said jokingly "You should move in here".....I could have four years ago....Sucks getting old.

It may suck getting old be it sure beats the alternative.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    I spent an hour trimming some bushes in the front yard and cleaning up the mess and now I'm shot. I don't like how little stamina I have and how easily I fatigue. Some of that's my own doggone fault because I generally do as little as needed to get by and rarely push myself, so when I have to do more than just general living I find out the hard way how pissed out of shape I am. I know it's also related in part to my heart's condition. Four years ago I felt like I was 55, now I feel like I'm 75.

I need to start pushing myself to do more than the bare minimum. But it's hard when you're lazy and all your life you've been thinking, "If I can just get to retirement... then I can sit and watch the grass grow..." I'm constantly amazed at how good I am at doing nothing; just when I don't think I can get any lazier, somehow I do. Maybe that's a part of why cigar smoking is so perfect for me; it gives me a great excuse for sitting down and not doing anything I don't feel like doing.

I'm currently enjoying my cardiac rehab, they're pushing me a little farther all the time. It's HARD to push yourself. There's just something about human nature. It's like college. Why do we need college? Everything you need is at your library. But, who pushes themselves to do that? Nobody!

I keep thinking that I need to develop some new habits, or re-develop some old ones. I used to get up every morning and run, bike, or at least walk a few miles. I would tell myself that that's why it's OK to smoke cigars, or my pipe. I'm in shape. There's no excuse for cigarettes, they're the devil.

In recent years, especially after the death of my wife, I've had more of a tendency to roll over and go back to sleep. That's not going to pay off in the long run, now is it?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain