Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Quote Of The Day

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are all victims of the bewitchment of our intelligence by means of language.
    --Wittgenstein

• Options

Charles Kettering, the Director of Research at General Motors from 1920–1947, is said to have put it thus: “The key to economic prosperity is the organized creation of dissatisfaction.”

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For if Men are to be precluded from offering their Sentiments on a matter, which may involve the most serious and alarming consequences, that can invite the consideration of Mankind, reason is of no use to us; the freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter.

—George Washington

In those wretched countries where a man cannot call his tongue his own, he can scarce call anything his own. Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech.

--- Ben Franklin

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I NEITHER coughed nor felt sick. Instead, a sensation of wellbeing filled me, and I became slightly wired, not the reaction you get from alcohol, but sharper and calmer.”
    BBC reporter John Simpson, experiencing a cigar for the first time, Sunday Telegraph, July 1999

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Funny how there's never enough time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over." -- Frustrated workers everywhere.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Receiving their bread from us the people will clearly see that we take the bread from them to give it back to them and they will be only too glad to have it so as it will deliver them from their greatest anxiety and torture -- that of having to decide for themselves. Never was there anything more unbearable to the human race than personal freedom.

Dostoesvsky
    The Grand Inquisitor

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

@webmost said:

. Never was there anything more unbearable to the human race than personal freedom.

This is an absolutely true fact that has baffled me for most of my life. I just can't wrap my head around it, yet there it is.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

By the cigars they smoke, and the composers they love, ye shall know the texture of men's souls.
    John Galsworthy

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Metallica Vintage T Shirt 90's 1996 Load Tour Rock Band Concert L Cigar Logo

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

“It is a gray day.”

“Yes, but dinna ye see the patch of blue?”
    —Scottish Shoemaker

• Options

Without humour, our lives are so darned mundane.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 Timothy 4:7
    I have fought the good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith

• Options

“Discipline is the bridge between goals and reality.” -Rodman Lu

• Options

Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.
    --Shaw

• Options

Get me the heck off this dang plane.

• Options

The longest, most torturous part of the flight to Chicago is taxing to the gate.

• Options

a woman with a spine and common sense:

"I say this to my Republican colleagues who are defending the indefensible: There will come a day when Donald Trump is gone but your dishonor will remain."
    U.S. Representative Liz Cheney

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would first want to know what exactly she is referring to as indefensible and dishonorable.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

I believe that would be inciting a crowd to vandalize the Capitol, then doing nothing to stop the riot, watching it on TV, while his closest advisors, friends and family all pleaded with him to do something to reverse the fallout from his speech.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worry is like a rocking chair. It will give you something to do but won’t get you anywhere. ~unknown

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    I believe that would be inciting a crowd to vandalize the Capitol, then doing nothing to stop the riot, watching it on TV, while his closest advisors, friends and family all pleaded with him to do something to reverse the fallout from his speech.

I see, thank you for taking the time to respond.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

"The size of our egos are matched by the size of our insecurities."
    Eddie Money

• Options

I disagree, may be true for an unhealthy ego but egos are like cars and very useful for getting where you need to go day to day if they are healthy, not so useful if the tires are all flat or the engine is blown.

• Options

"If you want to kill time, try working it to death.” — Sam Levenson