Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Quote Of The Day

Comments

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Webmost's quote has been shown frequently on TV, teaser for a film about Ali. In the teaser, you can watch and listen to Ali saying it.

Just strikes me as odd to use that quote. Sounds like he was trying to quote JFK and misspoke (Ali, my opinion). I’m not saying he didn’t have to over come many hardships but he did refuse to enter the service. I’m pretty sure there are a lot of men and woman who paid the price for freedom and never got the chance to speak that same phrase.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Webmost's quote has been shown frequently on TV, teaser for a film about Ali. In the teaser, you can watch and listen to Ali saying it.

Just strikes me as odd to use that quote. Sounds like he was trying to quote JFK and misspoke (Ali, my opinion). I’m not saying he didn’t have to over come many hardships but he did refuse to enter the service. I’m pretty sure there are a lot of men and woman who paid the price for freedom and never got the chance to speak that same phrase.

I was in the garage doing something when I heard Ali on the garage boobtoob between college football plays... so it was prolly the film trailer.

I ducked the draft myself, college deferment & all, but I wasn't giving up the heavyweight championship along with all the heavyweight fame, choice trim, and mucho moolah, so I never deserved to speak that phrase.

As with so many human dilemmas, both sides have merit. Those who fought in that war deserve respect but those who dodged that awful sham did right too.

Thing is, despite who utters what truth, when Ali says it ears perk up.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

Draft dodgers went to Canada, Ali went to court.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@d_blades said:
    Draft dodgers went to Canada, Ali went to court.

And if he wasn’t Ali where would he have gone?

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ali went to court. Clay would have went to Canada or jail

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lennon's mom was mistaken.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

attitude is a choice

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your children see you as a hero.
    Be that hero.

• Unknown
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    attitude is a choice

So, just to be clear, you're saying that some or all of us chose to be curmudgeonly azzholes?

OK..

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Joe Biden: "Time is money. As one computer said, if you’re on the train and they say portal bridge you know you better make other plans."

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

Quote this:

• Options

The wheel of providence revolves, but its axle is eternal love.

• Options

"Our doubts are traitors, which make us lose the good we oft might win, by failing to attempt."
    Shakespeare

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    edited December 2021

"The real problem Trump represented for elite America had less to do with his political beliefs than the unapproved manner of his rise."

Matt Taibi

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I don't say we all ought to misbehave, but we ought to look as if we could." - Orson Welles

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

Picasso said: "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist."

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly fingers. ~Confucius ( I think)

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

• unknown

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options