Quote Of The Day

Comments

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rhamlin said:

Don’t know how that ended up here

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Only a fool believes the left wing and the right wing fly separate birds" -- Unknown

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

“If you're looking for sympathy you'll find it between $h!+ and syphilis in the dictionary.”

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Just because you are happy it does not mean that the day is perfect but that you have looked beyond its imperfections”
    ― Bob Marley

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I don’t have time" is the biggest lie you tell yourself.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

If-

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you, but make allowance for their doubting too;
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting, or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
    or, being hated, don't give way to hating, and yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two impostors just the same;
    If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    or watch the things you gave your life to broken and stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings and risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    and lose, and start again at your beginnings and never breathe a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew to serve your turn long after they are gone,
    and so hold on when there is nothing in you except the Will which says to them "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue, or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch;
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you:
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run--
    Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
    And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

“If you think it’s a bad idea, you’re correct”

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

“From whence shall we expect the approach of danger? Shall some trans-Atlantic military giant step the earth and crush us at a blow? Never. All the armies of Europe and Asia...could not by force take a drink from the Ohio River or make a track on the Blue Ridge in the trial of a thousand years. No, if destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men we will live forever or die by suicide.”

― Abraham Lincoln

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    1. Where there's a will, I want to be in it.
    2. The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on my list.
    3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    4. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
    5. War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
    6. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting
      it in a fruit salad.
    7. They begin the evening news with 'Good Evening,' then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
    8. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
    9. I thought I wanted a career. Turns out, I just wanted paychecks.
    10. In filling out an application, where it says, 'In case of emergency, notify:' I put "DOCTOR."
    11. I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
    12. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street...with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
    13. Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
    14. A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.
    15. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
    16. Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
    17. There's a fine line between cuddling and...holding someone down so they can't get away.
    18. I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.
    19. You're never too old to learn something stupid.
    20. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
    21. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
    22. Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
    23. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
    24. I'm supposed to respect my elders, but now it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one.
  • Options

"Knowledge is power. France is bacon."

• Options

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is hard to see the truth when your eyes are closed.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:

I don't get it. Are you making fun of bacon?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@ShawnOL said:

@peter4jc said:

The phrase "knowledge is power" is often attributed to Francis Bacon, from his Meditationes Sacrae (1597).

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahh, I see. As long as no one was making fun of 🥓.

My dad used to say that "There were two kinds of people in this world. Those who like bacon and those who just ain't right."

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@silvermouse said:

@ShawnOL said:

@peter4jc said:

The phrase "knowledge is power" is often attributed to Francis Bacon, from his Meditationes Sacrae (1597).

I had to look at it twice, too. What? France is..OH! now I get it.. LOL

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@silvermouse said:

@ShawnOL said:

@peter4jc said:

I had to look at it twice, too. What? France is..OH! now I get it.. LOL

"France is butter."
    ... Francis Bacon

=============

"Whenever a government wants to disarm its citizens it's because they are planning to do something we would shoot them for."

"Please name one time in all of history where the people who wanted to ban books, curtail free speech, and disarm citizens were the good guys."

... Lost Literati

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep your coffee and your life simple and free.

Glenn Filthie. http://filthiestbox.blogspot.com/

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

A compliment is often just a lie in full dress.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

• Options

• Options

The price of freedom is high. I have paid. Now I am free.

Ali

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:
    The price of freedom is high. I have paid. Now I am free.

Ali

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

John F. Kennedy

Or

The price of freedom is high, it always has been. And it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it.
    Steve Rogers, Captain America

Not sure about your quote tho…. References?

• Options

Webmost's quote has been shown frequently on TV, teaser for a film about Ali. In the teaser, you can watch and listen to Ali saying it.