Home General Discussion

What Do You Want From the Forum?

12346»

Comments

  • EchambersEchambers B'Ham Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose I will frustrate a few people but what the....

    I use to be pretty active on this forum but two things drove my position down: (1) all the political talk and (2) and all the in your face sex. I will ready admit that I started a few political fires on this forum and fanned a few more. I regret that because I think the forum has suffered because of that. And, call me what you want, but I simply don’t think a “camel tow of the day” thread has any business on a cigar forum. 

    When I started here the majority of discussions on this forum were about cigars and quite frankly that drove up my purchases considerable because someone with a similar taste would recommend something. At any given time there were several passes to on and lots and lots of bombing. 

    And when a newb posted something stupid people didn’t jump all over his **** for not understand forum rules like often happens now. 

    Of of course it wasn’t all good - we also had some real *holes (but the collective wisdom took care of them pretty quickly.) 

    Above all all else though, the forum was about cigars. I continue to poke my head in here to reconnect with friends but so many of them have moved on and others have dropped their participation down considerably.  This is not the place I go to to get information on cigars any more. There are, unfortunately, a lot better forums for that.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Real ManPosts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Disagree^.  The people on this forum like @Yakster, @0patience, @Bob_Luken, @dirtdude, @Patrickbrick, @IndustMech, @Stubble, @CharlieHeis, @Bigshizza, @CalvinAndHobo, @Wylaff, @Rhamlin @silvermouse, @El_Fumador, @BKDog   and many of the others that I didn't mention have contributed a wealth of knowledge to this forum and to me personally.  I think that the information contained within this forum is a treasure trove and would make a great hobby book if printed.

    Yeah, the non cigar forum is filled with BS, but I stay away from those.  If those posts prevent you from being here, then that's unfortunate.  Personally, I don't let stuff bother me that I can't control. I hope you don't either.
    Don't look ↑
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Lake Zurich IlPosts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric, I was jumped on and and berated on my first post here for not "following the rules" and that was over 5 1/2 years ago.  Just like most things in life you get out what you want to, check out the vherf again.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Livingston MTPosts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dirtdude said:
    "With all that said, the ability to edit out the threads and even folks you don't want to hear from seems like a good plan going forward."


    Or, you could just skip this forum entirely and tune your TV to Fox or MSNBC.
    Seems to be what folks want,  or we could just keep kicking jd in the nads.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ......... free smokes or nah?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • BKDogBKDog NE PAPosts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    I'm pretty sure we don't need anything new to help you if don't like your notifications, you should be able to change them already. 

    Go to Edit Profile.
    Go to Notification Preferences.
    Choose to receive an email, or popup,(on the forum), or if neither box is checked for a particular type of notification, you will receive no notification for that type. 

    Here's a view of how it appears when I wish to edit my notification preferences. 



    NotificationEmailPopup
    Notify me when people write on my wall.

    Notify me when people reply to my wall comments.

    Notify me when my rank changes.

    Notify me when I earn a badge.

    Notify me when people accept my answer.

    Notify me when people answer my question.

    Notify me when people comment on my discussions.

    Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions.

    Notify me when people mention me.

    Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in.

    Notify me of private messages.

    My suggestion has nothing to do with the actual notifications, or the settings. My suggestion was to separate, or group notifications so they can be discernible from each other. I want notifications from new posts as well as messages to me and whenever somebody mentions me so I can politely respond. Currently, there's no difference between that mention and any other notification, because they are all in text, in a long list when you log in. I suggested a possible prioritization, color coding, flagging, or whatever to help manage these notifications by group. Simply turning them all off except only one isn't really an option to consider. I thought I explained it carefully the first time, I guess not. Obviously, anybody can disable or enable any notification they wish.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken already sucked before joining forum,.....just sayin'.Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BKDog said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    I'm pretty sure we don't need anything new to help you if don't like your notifications, you should be able to change them already. 

    Go to Edit Profile.
    Go to Notification Preferences.
    Choose to receive an email, or popup,(on the forum), or if neither box is checked for a particular type of notification, you will receive no notification for that type. 

    Here's a view of how it appears when I wish to edit my notification preferences. 



    NotificationEmailPopup
    Notify me when people write on my wall.

    Notify me when people reply to my wall comments.

    Notify me when my rank changes.

    Notify me when I earn a badge.

    Notify me when people accept my answer.

    Notify me when people answer my question.

    Notify me when people comment on my discussions.

    Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions.

    Notify me when people mention me.

    Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in.

    Notify me of private messages.

    My suggestion has nothing to do with the actual notifications, or the settings. My suggestion was to separate, or group notifications so they can be discernible from each other. I want notifications from new posts as well as messages to me and whenever somebody mentions me so I can politely respond. Currently, there's no difference between that mention and any other notification, because they are all in text, in a long list when you log in. I suggested a possible prioritization, color coding, flagging, or whatever to help manage these notifications by group. Simply turning them all off except only one isn't really an option to consider. I thought I explained it carefully the first time, I guess not. Obviously, anybody can disable or enable any notification they wish.
    Maybe everybody else understood you precisely but, I think I got off track with this part,...where you said,......   "I'd really like to be able to separate notifications by type (you've been quoted vs. a reply in any number of threads you're subscribed to)." From that, I got the crazy idea that you hadn't seen the crude but helpful menu we already had. Sorry. Carry on. A better notification system would be a good idea. But, it's not as good as free cigars.  


  • dirtdudedirtdude Livingston MTPosts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care what anybody thinks, there nothing wrong with free cigars.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Real ManPosts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You liberal Commie's! 
    Don't look ↑
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Real ManPosts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't taze me bro...
    Don't look ↑
  • jlmartajlmarta 50 miles from ParadisePosts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Please, @TheCigarChick, find out why I’m sent an email notification each time someone posts to the ‘What are you smoking this afternoon?’ thread. 

    It’s a major PITA!!!  Please make it stop. I have to go into my notifications link many times in a given day just to clear all of the $&€#<% notifications. I’m not the OP for that thread and I haven’t requested to be notified every time somebody posts there. I know of NO reason why this should be happening. 

    Thanks for any help you can provide....  😎
  • deadmandeadman Midland, NCPosts: 8,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    Please, @TheCigarChick, find out why I’m sent an email notification each time someone posts to the ‘What are you smoking this afternoon?’ thread. 

    It’s a major PITA!!!  Please make it stop. I have to go into my notifications link many times in a given day just to clear all of the $&€#<% notifications. I’m not the OP for that thread and I haven’t requested to be notified every time somebody posts there. I know of NO reason why this should be happening. 

    Thanks for any help you can provide....  😎
    Happened to me once. Make sure the star beside that thread is not solid blue it should be just the outline. If it is solid click on it to undo.
  • jlmartajlmarta 50 miles from ParadisePosts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deadman said:
    jlmarta said:
    Please, @TheCigarChick, find out why I’m sent an email notification each time someone posts to the ‘What are you smoking this afternoon?’ thread. 

    It’s a major PITA!!!  Please make it stop. I have to go into my notifications link many times in a given day just to clear all of the $&€#<% notifications. I’m not the OP for that thread and I haven’t requested to be notified every time somebody posts there. I know of NO reason why this should be happening. 

    Thanks for any help you can provide....  😎
    Happened to me once. Make sure the star beside that thread is not solid blue it should be just the outline. If it is solid click on it to undo.
    Okay, @deadman, I just tried it. Sure hope it works. I really didn’t want to have to contact Uncle Vito to arrange for a horse’s head in @dirtdude’s bed or anything......  😜
  • StubbleStubble T E X A SPosts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    deadman said:
    jlmarta said:
    Please, @TheCigarChick, find out why I’m sent an email notification each time someone posts to the ‘What are you smoking this afternoon?’ thread. 

    It’s a major PITA!!!  Please make it stop. I have to go into my notifications link many times in a given day just to clear all of the $&€#<% notifications. I’m not the OP for that thread and I haven’t requested to be notified every time somebody posts there. I know of NO reason why this should be happening. 

    Thanks for any help you can provide....  😎
    Happened to me once. Make sure the star beside that thread is not solid blue it should be just the outline. If it is solid click on it to undo.
    Okay, @deadman, I just tried it. Sure hope it works. I really didn’t want to have to contact Uncle Vito to arrange for a horse’s head in @dirtdude’s bed or anything......  😜

    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
This discussion has been closed.