Home General Discussion

Upcoming cigar release

Comments

• Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joya De Nicaragua Dos Cientos Confirmed as Part of #DEBonanzaTakeover

On day eight of Drew Estate’s #DEBonanzaTakeover for 2021, the company announced that Joya de Nicaragua’s Dos Cientos release, a cigar paying homage to the bicentennial of Central America will make its debut on the company’s Freestyle Live broadcast on May 6. The broadcast will highlight the product announcements made as a part of the Drew Estate #DEBonanzaTakeOver.

The cigar has an undisclosed blend is will be made in one size – a 6 x 54 Gran Toro. It will be available in 21-count boxes, with one cigar that’s individually wrapped in special paper that is intended to be enjoyed during a virtual celebration of Central American Independence on Sept. 15.

Dr. Martinez-Cuenca added, “We will invite people to smoke it together with us and talk about our history, the value of that history and the significance of who we are, not only for ourselves but for the rest of the world.”

PRIOR ARTICLE:

The year 2021 will mark the 200th anniversary of Central American independence from the Spanish Empire. This set the stage for the creation of Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica, and Nicaragua. To commemorate the occasion, Joya de Nicaragua has announced plans to release a one-time limited edition cigars known as Dos Cientos. The name Dos Cientos means “200 years” and it will be a super premium cigar under Joya de Nicaragua’s Obras Maestras family. Dos Cientos is slated to arrive at retailers in August.

“For us there is always a link between the past and the present,” says Juan Ignacio Martinez, president of Joya de Nicaragua, in a press release. “We are who we are today because of the decisions that were made hundreds of years ago. Dos Cientos pays tribute to those 200 years and who we are today as the leading cigar producing country and region in the world.”

“The leaf’s role in the development of our culture and our society has been fundamental,” added Joya de Nicaragua’s owner, Dr. Alejandro Martinez-Cuenca. “Tobacco was ever present as we created our own economic, political and cultural identities. That was the moment in which we became what we are today as a region. We want to celebrate that achievement of our own birth as a country and as a region, so we’re showcasing tobaccos from different American countries—Nicaragua, Honduras, Mexico, Ecuador and the Dominican Republic. We are paying tribute to the Latin Americans and the Americans who achieved independence to craft their own destiny.”

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll just buy a bunch of Antanos, put them away for five years and save some cash. ;-)

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

@peter4jc said:

@CAcigarguy007 said:

@Cam_91 said:

Joya de Nicaragua first introduced the Antaño 1970 cigar in 2001, often thought to be the strongest cigar of its time and helping to usher in today’s full-bodied Nicaraguan preferences.

Today, on Antaño’s 20th anniversary, the series has expanded to include four blends: Antaño, Antaño Dark Corojo, Antaño CT, and Antaño Gran Reserva. To celebrate the occasion, JDN will introduce the Antaño Gran Reserva GT20, billed as a more select version of the already-select Antaño Gran Reserva line.

“Joya de Nicaragua Antaño Named Among 10 Cigars Worth Revisiting
    We chose to do a special version of our Antaño Gran Reserva blend, with all Nicaraguan leaves aged for more than five years. In this way, we have the original tobaccos and the original character, but with a smoother and more complex flavor profile that just upgrades the smoking experience to a whole new level. We guarantee this is the best Antaño you’ll ever smoke; that’s why we call it our GT!”
    -Juan Ignacio Martinez, executive president of Joya de Nicaragua

Rolled in a singular 6″ x 52 “Gran Toro” format, the cigar’s GT20 name ties into both its size, as well as being a high-performance offering. The blend is based on the standard Antaño Gran Reserva cigar (which itself is based on the original Antaño cigar), which features a Nicaraguan Corojo oscuro wrapper, Nicaraguan binder, and all-Nicaraguan fillers from the country’s Jalapa, Condega, and Estelí growing regions. With Antaño Gran Reserva GT20, all tobaccos have been aged for more than five years; additionally, the leaves are said to be more refined selections than what is seen on the standard Antaño Gran Reserva.

Antaño Gran Reserva GT20 is salted for an August release, being packaged in 20-count boxes and retailing for $9.50 MSRP per cigar.

I saw these and was initially interested but then figured I could buy a bunch of the regular Antanos and stick them in the humi for five years and save some coin lol. The Antano and dark corojo both age very well and have been showing up on sale for great deals lately. Both underrated IMO. I aged both for many years and they just got better and better, especially the dark corojo.

But then you wouldn't be smoking the GT20's, see?

Indeed. I'd have the GE20's. Good Enough20's. 😄

@CAcigarguy007 you and @Vision are aging masters. Show me the way

@Cam_91 said:

You're on your way already under the expert guidance of the enablers here on the forum. Confucius say, buy more than you smoke. You'll be a aging master organically. It happens by default 😆.

• VisionVision Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CAcigarguy007 said:

@Cam_91 said:

You're on your way already under the expert guidance of the enablers here on the forum. Confucius say, buy more than you smoke. You'll be a aging master organically. It happens by default 😆.

Totally agree. In 3 years take off 7 years from the hobby like I did. But you’ll have to be OCD like I am and babysit them the entire time. Never mind....... smoke yours now and I’ll just keep sending you samples.

@Vision said:

@CAcigarguy007 said:

@Cam_91 said:

Totally agree. In 3 years take off 7 years from the hobby like I did. But you’ll have to be OCD like I am and babysit them the entire time. Never mind....... smoke yours now and I’ll just keep sending you samples.

I took a long break also. Not 7 years but just slowed down substantially since kids and life got in the way. It definitely helped to be sure. That and reckless acquisition lol. Wanting to try everything and not wanting to miss out on a deal. Now I'm more selective and targeted with acquisitions and know exactly what I'm looking for and have mentally indexed prices for well over a decade and have a target price base to grab the best deals. I'm also much more patient and can wait for prices to drop on something I want. New is still new even a year or two later when prices drop and hype and exuberance has passed. If it's so limited that I miss it, it wasn't meant to be. On to the next one.

Cigar God

Young Zino Davidoff was an open-minded entrepreneur, traveler and aficionado, whose curiosity and eagerness to learn from different cultures took him through Europe, Africa, South America to the Caribbean. This voyage turned Zino into the man he was known and beloved for. Todays eager and open-minded pioneering generations are very much alike young Zino – open minded, longing for experiences, always driven by their curiosity to live life from A to Z. The new Zino brand translates this pioneering spirit for experiences into a brand proposition appealing to the target group with a cigar line that explicitly enhances their experiences with three suitable formats: Short Torpedo, Robusto and Toro.

Over the last few years, Davidoff has repetitively reached back into its archives to rerelease some of its most celebrated cigars. This started in earnest in 2018 in two different ways. One is the Davidoff Vault Series, where the company rereleases cigars in small quantities—almost all in paper bundles of 10 cigars—and usually to a limited number of stores.

The other has been a more widespread approach of rerelasing cigars as national and international releases, sold in boxes and in much greater quantities. There’s a particular reason this started in 2018, it was the 50th anniversary of the Davidoff brand and the 30th anniversary of the AVO brand. To celebrate those events, the company remade three of its most sought-after releases from the past:

-AVO 22
    -AVO LE05
    -Davidoff Diademas Finas

The Davidoff Diadema Finas traces its roots—somewhat confusingly—back to Davidoff’s celebration of a century milestone. Zino Davidoff— who transformed a family tobacco shop in Switzerland to a worldwide brand—would have turned 100 in 2006. In that year, Davidoff released three different cigars to celebrate the century milestone:the 100th Anniversary Robusto, 100th Anniversary Diademas Finas and 100th Anniversary Diademas 100.

-Zino Davidoff 100th Anniversary Diademas Finas (6 3/4 x 50) — 2006 — $22 (Box of 10, $220) — n/a

-Davidoff Diademas Finas Limited Edition 50th Anniversary (6 3/4 x 50) — 2018 — $36 (Jar of 10, $360) — 8,000 Jars of 10 Cigars (80,000 Total Cigars)

While the company never disclosed the blend of the original Diademas Finas, it said the new release used an Ecuadorian habano wrapper over a Dominican olor seco binder and Dominican fillers from 2005. It also changed the packaging, most notably packing the cigars in jars of 10, of which there were four designs. Rounding out the new changes were special main and secondary bands to mark the 50th anniversary celebration.

Country of Origin: Dominican Republic
    Factory: Cigars Davidoff
    Wrapper: Ecuador (Habano)
    Binder: Dominican Republic (Olor)
    Filler: Dominican Republic (2005)
    Length: 6 3/4 Inches
    Ring Gauge: 50
    Vitola: Diadema
    MSRP: $36 (Jar of 10, $360)
    Release Date: July 2018
    Number of Cigars Released: 8,000 Boxes of 10 Cigars (80,000 Total Cigars)

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dissident Home 2021 out

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Davidoff is super delicious!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.

@Patrickbrick said:
    That Davidoff is super delicious!

Agreed one of the best smokes I’ve had. Thanks for sharing

After shipping the limited Art of Magic project in March, Vintage Rock-A-Feller Cigars has announced the second release in the series, debuting tomorrow at the TPE 2021 trade show in Las Vegas.

The brand is a collaboration with Jessi Flores (former head of Drew Estate’s Subculture Studios), who has been contracted for each cigar’s design. And the concept stems from owner Kevin Schweitzer’s background in magic, which he has studied since childhood.

While the cigar continues the Art of Magic series, Rock-A-Feller notes that the name for this blend has not yet been determined. Unlike the first release, this blend is not being rolled at the Aganorsa Leaf factory, instead being handled by American Caribbean Tobacco S.A., where the majority of Rock-A-Feller’s cigars are rolled.

Kevin Schweitzer noted that the factory choice has to do with American Caribbean’s high-grade selection of Cameroon tobacco, which has been selected for the cigar’s wrapper. This leaf surrounds an Ecuadorian Habano binder and select Nicaraguan fillers.

The cigars have been rolled in a single robusto size, which will retail from $12 to $14. This release is limited to 400 boxes of 10 cigars.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live under a rock and have never heard of those ^. I saw Rock-a-feller and thought it was a Jay-Z smoke

@deadman said:
    I live under a rock and have never heard of those ^. I saw Rock-a-feller and thought it was a Jay-Z smoke

Neither have I, but reviews speak highly and I’m a sucker for MSA wrappers. Here was the initial release

@Patrickbrick said:
    Why did it have to be a Churchill, why?

I agree. I don't particularly care for Churchill size cigars, the ring gauge is fine but they are too long for me and seem to have the most burn problems. Trim down an inch and a half or two would be preferable.

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love churches ... hate me all day, but I love’m

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with @CAcigarguy007 in every case except Dunbarton and Padron. In fact, my favorite DTT stick (u-boat) is a Churchill.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.

The Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur brand turns 40 this year, and General Cigar Co. is celebrating the milestone with the upcoming Excalibur Black, a Honduran cigar set to ship on June 7.

“With Excalibur Black, we are beginning the next chapter of the brand’s 40-year legacy with a feisty, fuller-bodied offering,” said Ed Lahmann, senior brand manager for Excalibur.

Billed as being medium in body, Excalibur Black is stronger than the core Excalibur blend, and consists of a Connecticut broadleaf wrapper, Ecuador Sumatra binder, and filler of Honduran and Nicaraguan tobacco.

The cigars are made at the HATSA factory in Danlí, Honduras and come in three sizes: a 5 inch by 50 ring gauge Robusto; Toro, measuring 6 by 52; and No. 1, at 7 1/4 by 54. All sizes are packaged in 20-count boxes and have suggested retail prices from $8.49 to $8.99.

A line of Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur Black cigarillos and mini cigars were released in February with similar packaging, but those small smokes are made with a different blend than this new Excalibur Black.

Like all non-Cuban Hoyo de Monterreys, Excalibur Black is made and distributed by General Cigar, a premium cigar subsidiary of Scandinavian Tobacco Group.

@Yakster said:

@EgoBoundary said:

I prefer Popeyes.

Pioneer chicken, take it old school! Do love me some Popeyes though!

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CAcigarguy007 said:

@Yakster said:

@EgoBoundary said:

I prefer Popeyes.

I think I may have had that several decades ago. A bit of a drive from the Bay Area, though.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:

@EgoBoundary said:

I prefer Popeyes.

Churches vs. Church's. Tell him, @IndustMech, grammar is important. Especially if your grandma is at Church's.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    edited May 2021

@Yakster said:

@CAcigarguy007 said:

@Yakster said:

@EgoBoundary said:

I prefer Popeyes.

I think I may have had that several decades ago. A bit of a drive from the Bay Area, though.

Used to be one in Mtn.View (now a Meriwest credit union) by the old Alpha Beta grocery store (now Safeway) on Rengstorff way back when I was a kid. Boy has a lot changed since then.

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.

Big brother is everywhere. I mean the analytics will help the consumer have a more enjoyable smoke.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

Microwave the cigar for 3 seconds. Voila! No more RFID chip

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.