Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Firsties!

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I used the Boston globe link because the test sensitivity is similar to the ones here in S.C. I don’t think the test is worthless however because there is subtle issue with stats that can be misinterpreted ( I even had to look it up as well) but basically a test that is only 70 percent sensitivity can have a 99% capability of being able to rule some one out ) you can google a few YouTube 3 minute videos ( sensitivity and negative predictive value) to help out... they are all pretty good

The iffy part is when the population has a high likelihood of having the disease ... but that is unclear.

• Options

Maine's Franklin County Sheriff Scott Nichols has a strong message for

Maine Governor Janet Mills issued "stay-at-home" orders with threats of police punishment. Franklin County Sheriff Scott Nichols issued this response:

"We will not be setting up a Police State. PERIOD. The Sheriff’s Office will not go out and stop vehicles because they are on the road, or stop and ask why people are out and about. ...This is not **** Germany or Soviet Russia where you are asked for your papers!"

I went to CVS just now to pick up pills for the RedHead. It's half a mile away. I saw 12 cops parked en route.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:
    Maine's Franklin County Sheriff Scott Nichols has a strong message for

Maine Governor Janet Mills issued "stay-at-home" orders with threats of police punishment. Franklin County Sheriff Scott Nichols issued this response:

"We will not be setting up a Police State. PERIOD. The Sheriff’s Office will not go out and stop vehicles because they are on the road, or stop and ask why people are out and about. ...This is not **** Germany or Soviet Russia where you are asked for your papers!"

I went to CVS just now to pick up pills for the RedHead. It's half a mile away. I saw 12 cops parked en route.

Might want to skip Total Wine in Claymont then.....

https://www.wdel.com/news/claymont-checkpoint-looks-for-out-of-state-drivers-reminding-them-of-delawares-tight-restrictions/article_5786411a-75f6-11ea-ab64-57ffa9a65cc6.html

• Options

• Options
    edited April 2020

Cuomo news conference on live now. Good news all around. Number of new cases per day down. Number of deaths per day down. New hospitalizations per day down. Released from hosp per day up. Every category better. Is it the top of the curve? Give it some days, & cross your fingers.

Every time I see him all he does is complain about ventilators.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coomo is a bit of a douche.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:

That douche gene is very dominant in his offspring.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

@webmost said:
    Cuomo news conference on live now. Good news all around. Number of new cases per day down. Number of deaths per day down. New hospitalizations per day down. Released from hosp per day up. Every category better. Is it the top of the curve? Give it some days, & cross your fingers.

Every time I see him all he does is complain about ventilators.

Every state will spike at a different time. Looks like it might(?) Be downtrending there in NY but that doesn't mean it is in NV, OR, WA, or random state X.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:

@ShawnOL said:

I used to write criminal justice speeches for his father when he was governor. He was a nice man. Maybe Andrew and Chris were adopted.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YankeeMan said:

@Bob_Luken said:

@ShawnOL said:

I used to write criminal justice speeches for his father when he was governor. He was a nice man. Maybe Andrew and Chris were adopted.

I had them mixed up. I was thinking Chris was Andrew's son.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://apple.news/AI33kHYQ5SuixAljdac4QvA

Heard a few days ago of other animals testing positive also including some at the Berlin zoo.

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard those Gorillas can get it to, not good for the ones in the wild.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    So California has issued a stay at home order...

Oregon has been telling them that for years.

I'm stealing that.
    Gonna have a ton of Oregon people rolling on the floor.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Media is stubbornly resistant to any good news at all. Good news torpedoes their whole bad news sells news strategy. Nevertheless, curves flattening in Kali, stats easing off the throttle in the NY epicenter, these things are good news, plain and simple.

Every state will spike at a different time. Looks like it might(?) Be downtrending there in NY but that doesn't mean it is in NV, OR, WA, or random state X.

I don't give a crap. So it ain't raining Laphroaig quite yet... I'll take Ballantines at this point. I'm ready to turn the corona on this virus.

Kali and Nyawk put together could easily elect a commiecrat were it not for the electoral college. They are the two most populous pieces of the pie. So this is good tidings of the hugest sort.

Today, I suggest we fill our glasses half way, stand up with a shout, and toast the intrepid nursing assistant slaving away at your nearest hotpickle down the street. Two bits of good info on the same day deserves notice, news or not.

God Bless Her Golden Heart
    Hear Hear!

• Options
    edited April 2020

The oft-cited University of Washington model had projected that New York State would need 69,000 beds. Instead, 16.500 have actually been needed so far. Over 12k ICU beds were projected; less than 4400 have been needed. Some will complain that these new facts show how inaccurate these pessimistic modelers are. Some will brag that we bent the models by staying off the street. I say, either way, I'll smoke to that.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

@webmost said:
    Media is stubbornly resistant to any good news at all. Good news torpedoes their whole bad news sells news strategy.

Today, I suggest we fill our glasses half way, stand up with a shout, and toast the intrepid nursing assistant slaving away at your nearest hotpickle down the street. Two bits of good info on the same day deserves notice, news or not.

God Bless Her Golden Heart
    Hear Hear!

Two of the truest statements of our times, in fact, of all time. Both need to be remembered always.

The first, because it needs to always be on ones mind that The News doesn't care one whit about you or the future of the world, as long as it sells copy today. "World ends at 10, film at 11."

The second, well, for many reasons. That Nurse's Aide is probably the single most important person in the whole chain when you're the one stuck in the hospital bed. Also the lowest paid and absolutely the least appreciated by the further echelons of the hierarchy of the medical establishment, or lowerarchy if I may borrow from C.S. Lewis's The Screwtape Letters.

The first thing Darth Vader Wannabe Rick Scott did when his Columbia Healthcare took over the hospital l used to work for was to get rid of 75% of the nurse's aides so he could give their salaries to himself. He also kept the retirement savings of anyone who wasn't vested. He still owes me just shy of ten grand the way I see it. 12 more days and I could have kept the money I'd earned.

But that's all ancient history.

Along those lines, though, perhaps our hospitals would have had sufficient supplies, staff, ventilators, etc., if we hadn't made giving multi-million dollar bonuses to people who don't do anything or care anything about the patients our number one priority in our healthcare "system".

(There is no system, really, anymore than there was a "system" of piracy in the days of Blackbeard)

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

sobering read:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/05/youre-basically-right-next-nuclear-reactor/?arc404=true

"Usually, before this, patients would be on a vent for three to five days. Now we’re seeing 14 to 21."

• Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    sobering read:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/05/youre-basically-right-next-nuclear-reactor/?arc404=true

"Usually, before this, patients would be on a vent for three to five days. Now we’re seeing 14 to 21."

This is consistent with every I have read as well. Prolonged intubation of previously healthy strong people , more often with previous illness but not always ...

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited April 2020

I started thinking: I’m 33 years old. I don’t have any kids at home. I don’t live with older relatives. About an hour after the meeting, I emailed my supervisor. “I’m happy to do this. It should be me.”

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

@EgoBoundary said:

@silvermouse said:
    sobering read:

This is consistent with every I have read as well. Prolonged intubation of previously healthy strong people , more often with previous illness but not always ...

As I understand it from conversations with some of the "front line" medical folks, there's some new thinking regarding the usefulness of ventilators. So far, the disease has been treated along the lines of approved treatment for ARDS, Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome, for which early ventilation is recommended. The X-ray and Lab tests for Covid are similar to ARDS.

However, some of this may be illusion. The lung opacity seen in ARDS is caused by infiltrate, where the opacity seen in Covid is inflammation. Also, the virus binds to hemoglobin in a way that causes false-low oxygen saturation readings on the labs. While the O2 sat according to labs is lower than normal, it's really nowhere near as low as the tests indicate.

As a result, we're putting people on ventilators who may not really need it, and accidentally increasing the inflammation and hindering the healing process. This is all very new thinking. It will be interesting to see if it leads to better treatment protocols. After all, we're dealing with a "Novel" disease.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

my wife is a labor and delivery nurse in Orlando at the second busiest hospital in the country for births. She was selected earlier to be on one of the COVID teams and will only be treating birthing mothers with the virus. They had 2 Saturday and 5 yesterday its picking up for her hospital.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options

Santa Clara County has a Data Dashboard
    which includes the following chart: