Options

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

@TX98Z28 said:

@webmost said:
    The quandary is: If you go out so that they can test you, and you test positive, then you should not have gone out because you are positive.

The whole testing aspect is vastly overblown.

This is part of what doesn't sound logical, plus if they go out and test negative they could be positive an hour, a day later etc. and think their still negative when in fact would be spreading the virus and potentially infecting many more people.

I think that people should also know these tests are only 70 % sensitive... that if you test 100 people who have the virus, 30 people will have a negative test

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EgoBoundary said:

@TX98Z28 said:

@webmost said:
    The quandary is: If you go out so that they can test you, and you test positive, then you should not have gone out because you are positive.

This is part of what doesn't sound logical, plus if they go out and test negative they could be positive an hour, a day later etc. and think their still negative when in fact would be spreading the virus and potentially infecting many more people.

I think that people should also know these tests are only 70 % sensitive... that if you test 100 people who have the virus, 30 people will have a negative test

First time I read that.
    Got a link to a study or something? I'd like to know if they test neg, how do they know they are pos? Also, which test are we talking about? Are they neg on one & pos on another? If so, which is right?

Puzzling

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

• Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

@webmost said:

@EgoBoundary said:

@TX98Z28 said:

@webmost said:

First time I read that.
    Got a link to a study or something? I'd like to know if they test neg, how do they know they are pos? Also, which test are we talking about? Are they neg on one & pos on another? If so, which is right?

Puzzling

False negative and false positive results are fairly common in nearly every medical test. Cardiac stress testing only has a 75-80% accuracy rate. Many people have been told there's nothing wrong with their heart only to have a heart attack later and many have been told they have blockages when the cardiac catheterization proves they do not.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/how-accurate-is-the-coronavirus-test?amp=true

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ooooh! I have the parts for that!

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well my mandatory court appearance (So they can drop the charges) for the ticket I got for a expired tag was set for March 26th....Was changed till May 21st.....Now is changed July 9th, all because the courts are closed.

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard something interesting on PBS newshour last night.
    If the federal government has your direct deposit banking information you could possibly get the money in two weeks, if they have to mail a check it could take up to twenty weeks before you see it.
    Don’t know that these are facts or speculation, but it will be interesting to see if/when this happens.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have reservations about certain N95 masks that I have heard no one address in the public debate lately. Specifically the ones that have a rubber gasket valve that bypasses the filter when you exhale. To me those would be no good for protecting others from the wearer, even though they should protect the wearer from others. (Some N95 masks do not have the valve, some do.) I became familiar with the valved N95 masks about a decade ago. I immediately liked them better than any masks without the valve because they would not fog up my safety glasses or my prescription glasses nearly as bad as masks without the valve. Because of that valve, I question it would even be a good idea for front-line healthcare workers to be wearing valved N95 masks if the patients are not protected from the healthcare workers. These healthcare workers are at high risk for contracting the virus, and would be asymptomatic at first, but would be shedding the virus themselves onto the patients by way of the one-way valve. I'm pretty sure I have seen recent footage of healthcare professionals wearing the valved N95 masks on the front lines of the fight against the virus. If my reasoning is correct, it seems like an important oversight or error to allow use of the valved N95 masks by healthcare workers.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

That never occurred to me, good thinking!

• Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless masks in general don't do anything and it 's all just eyewash. (Lemme grab another layer of tin foil for my hat :D )

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I found this on the 3M website. They are specific and clear about how their valves can pass viruses from the wearer to others, but nobody is talking about this. I'm pretty sure I have seen healthcare workers using valved masks. I will pay more attention to this little detail the next time I see footage of healthcare workers on the front lines.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1792732O/respiratory-protection-faq-healthcare.pdf
    3M Personal Safety Division
    surgical respirators also do not have exhalation
    valves or have specially designed shrouded exhalation valves. surgical respirators are designed without exhalation valves because there is concern that any bacteria or viruses expelled from the wearer may travel through the exhalation valve and
    enter the surrounding environment, such as a sterile field during surgery, potentially exposing other people.

• Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken
    The company I work for doesn't allow us to wear the valves N95 masks for that specific reason.
    It's possible to carry and transmit the virus without exhibiting any signs of infection. If I was carrying it and my pt wasn't, I could very easily pass it on.
    I'm not even authorized to administer nebulizer medications unless I can justify that my patients would die before arriving at the ER without those medications.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well rats! I looked at that bottle of 138 proof Absinthe, but thought "Nah, Scotch should do it".. Live and learn I guess.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

138 proof should be 69% . ;)

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

As of today, I am off work until April 28th.
    It seems that I am high risk, because of my asthma, so Doc ordered me off for at least 3 weeks and then re-evaluate on the 28th.
    Now my work is battling whether they want to follow their rules and make it paid admin leave or make me use vacation time. Bunch of blood suckers.
    I spent an hour talking to a half dozen people, 3 different agencies and did what they told me to do and now they aren't sure they are going to approve the paid admin leave, because I am an essential employee.
    If I weren't, oh, it would be no problem.

3 more year. I just gotta make it 3 more years.

Just realized, I am stuck with the boss lady for 3 solid weeks.
    If I don't survive, the virus didn't kill me. :D

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

@EgoBoundary said:

@TX98Z28 said:

@webmost said:

First time I read that.

Puzzling

Here is one article ... but as other people have posted .. this is the nature of all tests.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/02/nation/how-accurate-are-coronavirus-tests-doctors-raise-concern-about-false-negative-results/?outputType=amp

• Options

@EgoBoundary said:

@webmost said:

@EgoBoundary said:

@TX98Z28 said:

@webmost said:

First time I read that.

Puzzling

Here is one article ... but as other people have posted .. this is the nature of all tests.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/02/nation/how-accurate-are-coronavirus-tests-doctors-raise-concern-about-false-negative-results/?outputType=amp

Yes, I understand that this is the nature of tests... But 30% seems darn high. So how do they know? Which test? If Grandma tests clean today and dirty tomorrow, did she catch it overnight? If 30% are false neggies, then what percent are false pozzies? Even the Boston Globe article you reference starts out "may be as high as...". What could it be as low as? If I were to write an article stating the Boston Globe may be as much as 30% bullcrap, and I could find only 3% BS, my statement would still be accurate.

I declined to pay to subscribe to the Boston Globe when I followed your link, so I can't tell you that I searched their article for the source. I didn't. Does it have one? I am sincerely curious.

Not that I am a test proponent. The question came up again at yesterday's coronavirus new conference: "When can you promise that every American can be tested?" One of the stupidest gotcha questions out of the whole array of dumb gotcha questions they ask over and over and over. Why? If you could test all 350 million of us this very day, what would that accomplish? The results would assuredly be different tomorrow. But test results appear to be fundamental to all the stats and projections, starting with what did grandma die from. Are any of these numbers any good?

Fear sells news. That's what they sell, is alarm. When people aren't pissed or scared, the Boston Globe lines the budgie cage. The number of people dispassionately searching for a true understanding of facts may be as little as 30%. The number responding to headlines create multi-billion dollar empires, not to mention tyrranies.

This morning, I followed a link that arrived via Google News, titled this way: "Jared Kushner Is Going to Get Us All Killed!" I kid you not. All killed. In the first place, we're not ALL going to die... well, not until eventually. When I followed this link, I arrived at the New York Times, where the headline reads: "Putting Jared Kushner In Charge Is Utter Madness". Well, he's not in charge. The subtitle reads: "Trump’s son-in-law has no business running the coronavirus response". Well, he doesn't run it. The first paragraph reads: "Reporting on the White House’s herky-jerky coronavirus response, Vanity Fair’s Gabriel Sherman has a quotation from Jared Kushner that should make all Americans, and particularly all New Yorkers, dizzy with terror." Well, there's the kernel that sells the news: make them dizzy with terror. The dizzy with terror bit is that Jared said he doesn't think Cuomo needs all the ventilators he has begged for. I watched him say that. I also watched Cuomo admit that he's stashing ventilators which he doesn't immediately need against possible future need. So let's freak out, throw in "herky-jerky" for fun, and contemn the pillow guy while we're at it.

When the only tool that you own is a hammer, then everything starts looking like a nail.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

reminds me of two things, this article about ignoring facts:
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200403131259.htm
    and the acronym popular among the young smartphone set: TLTR