Options

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

We lost John Prine to this virus yesterday. :(

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep.
    The Mayans screwed up the numbers on the end of the world or the archaeologists mis-read it. It wasn't 2012, it was 2021 when the world ends. :o

https://youtu.be/06Fyg4maLWg

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:
    Yep.
    The Mayans screwed up the numbers on the end of the world or the archaeologists mis-read it. It wasn't 2012, it was 2021 when the world ends. :o

https://youtu.be/06Fyg4maLWg

Just dyslexia

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Forget guns, they're coming for your masks. Just got this alert on my phones.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn.... I lost all my ppe in a freak kayaking accident.....

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Forget guns, they're coming for your masks. Just got this alert on my phones.

Next, they'll be demanding to search your home for contraband PPE.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

This looks promising. And given the choice, I’ll take 8.5% mortality rate over 40.4% any day..... 🤷

• Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently tonic water is the new great drug for the virus. Went to all 3 stores in my metropolitan that sells it and all sold out. What am I supposed to drink with my gin?

• Options

@genareddog said:
    Apparently tonic water is the new great drug for the virus. Went to all 3 stores in my metropolitan that sells it and all sold out. What am I supposed to drink with my gin?

Sake. No, really, try it.

• Options
    edited April 2020

States are being overwhelmed with unemployment claims which is taxing their mainframes, are now seeking COBOL programmers to help. @Trykflyr_1 ?

Wanted urgently: People who know a half century-old computer language so states can process unemployment claims

I thought the Y2K scare would have persuaded them to upgrade.

• Options

@webmost said:

@genareddog said:

Sake. No, really, try it.

Olives

• Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster, it's been 4 decades since I even looked at that...Sounds like they're a just another typically inefficient government entity.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options

@Yakster said:
    States are being overwhelmed with unemployment claims which is taxing their mainframes, are now seeking COBOL programmers to help. @Trykflyr_1 ?

Wanted urgently: People who know a half century-old computer language so states can process unemployment claims

I thought the Y2K scare would have persuaded them to upgrade.

I worked for an unemployment cost control company up until last April, when I was forcibly retired. Most states are pitifully imputerate. TX was relatively efficient. PA should not be allowed anywhere near a keyboard. I don't doubt that they are snarled up now. In good times, they could not get the work halfway done.

Spoke to a gal I used to work w/. She said the company processed 750k claims in one day last Saturday. ... luckily, they long ago went the work from home route, so the company was prepared. PA simply gave up examining claims... just pay everyone.

Glad to be out of that madness.

• Options

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    The US Thunderbirds are going to do a flight across the las Vegas valley tomorrow as a morale thing for the quarantined community.

The flight path reminds me of something, though I can't quite put my finger on it. Oh well. If you're wondering, I live at the base of the shaft.

Is it me, or does it look like a battle axe?

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the aisles at the supermarket are looking pretty sparce. They're ordering less or people are stocking up on everything else now.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lowes was absurd the other day when went to get a pressure washer, was packed too. Lowes put up these plexiglass shields on every register counter like a gas station in the hood and the loudspeaker.... saying... please follow social distancing, keep 6 feet apart at all times, etc. etc. etc. Thank you for shopping at Lowes...
    There were a lot of people wearing face masks, gloves, seen a couple people running through the store like it's the end of all we know, I just shook my head. Gentlemen in his 50's helped me find some stuff, he was about to throw the computer from inventory being messed up, he said he's had it with this fvcking corona virus $hit...his own words.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^ That was kind of what I was pointing out when I mentioned the Swedish reaction to the virus the other day. We can't just "hole up" forever.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain