Home Non Cigar Related

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our local craft brewery is doing a similar thing...they have a drive thru lane where people pick up cans of beer to go - they will even put it in your back seat or trunk (wearing gloves) for you. Then you can order from a food truck in the same line from your car before heading home.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia issued shelter-in-place orders through June 10th.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/30/maryland-shelter-in-place-order-hogan-155610

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Santa Clara County to extend shelter in place until May 1st @Yakster

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    I'm curious about any long-term lung damage, if any, there may be from getting this illness.

I don’t think anyone can tell the “long term” effects ... it’s only been around for 4 months. That is a pretty sobering realization.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Texas Governor extends social distancing till April 30th, Schools closed till May 4th.
    Most Texans starting to get "chippy", I give it 2 weeks max before people start going nuts here.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little song about our current lives.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0-2XxgHIXk

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TX98Z28, I've been thinking since this started that if it goes more than 3 months things'll blow up on the authorities. Lotta folks aren't going to put up with it if this turns out to be another Y2K.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
    edited April 2020

@Trykflyr_1 Yeah both are States just aren't seeing the numbers man which is a good thing. Trump's Virus Task Force doctor people seem to predict from the data they have estimated 100,000-200,000 will die on the low side of models in the U.S.A from the virus. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. People here are getting "chippy" though, p I s s y attitudes appearing in a lot, others scarred to death living in fear and panic glued to the screen. At least the grocery stores are caught back up but the TP hoarding still continues...

"You can only cage someone for so long before they snap"

Alaska population; 731,545 people, 132 confirmed cases, 3 deaths
    Texas population; 28,995881 people, 3901 confirmed cases, 57 deaths

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

Kentucky pop.: 4.5M
    Confirmed cases: 594
    Deaths: 17

People are still having get togethers and minimal social distancing in smaller communities. Most of the initial hoarder mentality has calmed down but, tomorrow is "Firstmas" so that could change quickly.

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a video call with my doc today after 5 days in quarantine due to loss of breath. Doc would not meet me in person even without cough or fever. They tell me that they are 95% sure I have the virus, but the state of Nevada is currently only testing people put on respirators. So I get 2 additional weeks in quarantine, and I get to fight with work because I don’t have a “positive” diagnosis.

There has got to be a better way to go about this. The plus side is I can taste again, so I’m sure I’ll be on the V-herf occasionally.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...

@Wylaff, on the weekly company all-hands meeting about COVID-19 today, one of the executive staff mentioned about insisting on a chest x-ray which can confirm the diagnosis if they won't give you a test. Probably pretty hard to get one these days.

The quandary is: If you go out so that they can test you, and you test positive, then you should not have gone out because you are positive.

The whole testing aspect is vastly overblown.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Dull-Aware (population just under a million) reports:
    264 positive (26 hundredths of a percent)
    7 dead (7 ten-thousandths of a percent)
    22 deemed recovered (tho we don't know the outcome of the other 264)

Of the 264 cases, 130 are male and 134 are female. (It is remarkable that not a single case has been reported to have afflicted any of the other 56 genders at all. This might be a useful factoid to know if all elective surgeries weren't currently cancelled.) Patients range in age from 1 to 95. (Yes, the 95 year old was one of the 7 deaths.) Forty-six are currently hospitalized, 14 are critically ill.

You have to wonder how much these stats owe to the lockdown, in contrast to the lethality of the disease itself. When it's all over, officials will naturally brag on what they did. The rest is surmise. Either way: Orange Man Bad.

Collateral damage even of a medical nature is damn hard to get a handle on. Spoke w/ my sister in Riverside CA. Her daughter is still trying to recover from dain bramage resulting from botched drugs after MVA surgery at UCLA hosp a year and a half ago. She was going to rehab at Loma Linda, here recently; but the state deemed rehab non-essential, and so her rehab is on hold. Insurance will only cover rehab for a limited period which is likely to run out before the doors are again unlocked. The state required Loma Linda to increase their ICU beds by, IIRC, 30%, and cancel all non-essential activities. LL do not have a single Wuhan case. Nada. And so this fine hosp is sitting there losing money hand over fist in enforced idleness. Between their patient not getting care and the facility going broke, where's the win in that?

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘Coronavirus coup’? As outbreak grows, authoritarians around the world seize the moment

https://apple.news/Aow9i1BxNR6iCdJvdKLmMZQ

edited April 2020

@webmost said:
    The quandary is: If you go out so that they can test you, and you test positive, then you should not have gone out because you are positive.

The whole testing aspect is vastly overblown.

This is part of what doesn't sound logical, plus if they go out and test negative they could be positive an hour, a day later etc. and think their still negative when in fact would be spreading the virus and potentially infecting many more people.

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

i dont think the mitigation thing is going to work. I think it will just prolong the virus as it slows the spread but wont stop it. Are we going to shelter in place for a year as new cases keep coming. Your either going to get it and live or get it and die at this point. Might as well get it over with.

Great quote from Shawshank Redemption "Get busy living or get busy dying"

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @Usaf06 said:

Your either going to get it and live or get it and die at this point. Might as well get it over with.

Agree. Sad and a little cold but true. We either destroy our economy and lose all our jobs or we take the hit and get it over with.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Everyone can’t get sick at the same time. That’s the problem, medical facilities can’t treat everyone at the same time. Will it make anyone feel better knowing they died with a job instead of on layoff.

How many of your immediate families members are you willing to sacrifice to “get it over with” ?

That's just crazy talk, Nick! (snetk!) The Guvmint is in control and in charge. They have a handle on all this. Hell, they just puked out 2 trillion they don't have to fix this. BTW, guessing at 350 million people at $1200 each, (which isn't what's happening) is only 420 billion. Someone wanna tell me where the other 1.58 trillion is going???

edited April 2020

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/31/10-insanely-wasteful-spending-items-in-the-coronabailout/#.XoNPHNvn1xI.twitter

Pretty good article on at least 10 pieces of pork in that bailout bill. Just these 10 add up to 1.98 billion.

You're right, @silvermouse, but I'd be willing to bet it's nowhere near as much as it should be. Enhanced UEI is being handled by each state and if Alaska's any indication, they've got it all messed up.
    To be a no kidding relief package, ALL of this should be earmarked for direct covid relief. Anything else is pure politics and deception from both sides.

This and the ice melting is our sports now.

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the cost is going to end up being to the hospitals and health insurance companies after this is all over?
    I'd guess at least 30k + for the stay at the hospital.