Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very good read. The virus can't be stopped, and the spread should only be limited by harsh constructs in order to keep medical facilities from being over-taxed.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe my glass is half full, but I believe there will be a vaccine by late summer or early fall. I'm not buying a two year time frame on this.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Trykflyr_1 said:
    Four types pf people now:
    1. Those who don't get it.
    2. Those who do but don't know about it.
    3. Those who get it, get sick and recover.
    4. Those who get it and die from it.

You are one of those four. You can let that ruin your life or you can accept it and continue living life to its fullest. I, for one, have chosen the latter option.

No you haven't. You may want to. But... Government wold wide has usurped your options.

I would gladly opt to ride it out, but governors here and in all adjacent states have plunged into impetuous paroxysms of proclamations. I'd have the RedHead down at the breakfast cafe, but it's been shuttered. I'd be playing handball, but the Y is closed, and there are cops at the border. I'd be making more money, but USPS won't pick up our packages. Tomorrow is a grandson's birthday... no party. I'd be riding the Blue Ridge Parkway... nowhere to eat or stay.

No, the whole shut down may be the right tactic or the wrong tactic. The decision had to be made before we could know. We might have decided differently. Not up to us. The ones who made it will brag how much good it did. Those who hate the ones who made it will bidge it was botched. We have no options.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

@Poker_Slob said:
    Maybe my glass is half full, but I believe there will be a vaccine by late summer or early fall. I'm not buying a two year time frame on this.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/covid-19-coronavirus-vaccine-trial-volunteer-sophia-upshaw

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Trykflyr_1 said:

You are one of those four. You can let that ruin your life or you can accept it and continue living life to its fullest. I, for one, have chosen the latter option.

I hope I wasn't #4. That would have sucked.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:

@Trykflyr_1 said:

I hope I wasn't #4. That would have sucked.

We'll keep you posted.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine this:

All of the food delivery people and grocery store workers have the covid. All the sheltering in place won't help us.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

What if the people who die from it suddenly reanimate? Zombie war, baby!

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kashkari paints gloomy view of economic recovery

Minneapolis Fed President Neel Kashkari expects the path to economic recovery from the coronavirus will be a "long, hard road" and not a V-shaped rebound. "Barring some healthcare miracle" such as an effective therapy or vaccine, "it seems we're going to have various phases of rolling flareups," Kashkari told CBS's Face the Nation, with "different parts of the economy turning back on, maybe turning back off again." Kashkari also said $350 billion in emergency funds for small business would not be enough, "because if we need to have different phases of shutdowns for the next several months or until we have a therapy or vaccine, we're going to need more help than that."

Smithfield warns of food shortages

The U.S. is "perilously close to the edge in terms of our meat supply," Smithfield Foods CEO Kenneth Sullivan said after announcing the closing of his company's Sioux Falls processing facility in South Dakota, which accounts for at least 4% of U.S. pork production. "It is impossible to keep our grocery stores stocked if our plants are not running," Sullivan warned, adding that he fears "disastrous" consequences up the supply chain for the nation's livestock farmers if plants stop running. "We have a stark choice as a nation: We are either going to produce food or not, even in the face of COVID-19."

• Options

@Bob_Luken said:
    I'm sick of celebrities seeking attention on facetime or zoom or skype or whatever. Go away. Or go work at a food bank but don't film yourself doing your good deeds either. We all deserve a break from you people.

Who was watching who?

The celebrity problem is so simple to solve. If ppl would not celebrate them, then they would not be celebrities.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

@Bob_Luken said:
    I'm sick of celebrities seeking attention on facetime or zoom or skype or whatever. Go away. Or go work at a food bank but don't film yourself doing your good deeds either. We all deserve a break from you people.

Who was watching who?

The celebrity problem is so simple to solve. If ppl would not celebrate them, then they would not be celebrities.

I don't even know who half of these folks are anyway.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

My afternoon commute home used to take 45 to 55 minutes, now it's the same as my morning commute, 30 minutes. It's about the only thing that I truly like about all this.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also had no idea it was Easter weekend until Friday when someone at the site was wishing everyone a happy safe Easter. It was a much more relaxing day than it usually is, so there's that.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

This Corbett fellow certainly has an aptitude for causing words to tumble interminably from his mouth without ever seeming to approach the point he’s trying to make.

I made this determination after watching only about five minutes of his nonstop ramble so if he finally got around to it, well..... 🙄

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

It's funny how people often seem to think that God will do what they want him to do. All the while ignoring one of the central precepts of religion, taught in the very first book, Genesis:

Actions have consequences.  

If they didn't, we'd still be in Eden, wouldn't we?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a study going on at University of Texas.

https://news.utexas.edu/2020/04/06/new-delivery-method-could-make-niclosamide-an-effective-antiviral-to-treat-covid-19/

I was told my neice is part of the team on the project. Not sure what her role is...

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Venn diagram illustrating overlaps in reported symptoms
    The first results from a symptom-tracking app, which has recruited more than 1.5 million people in the United Kingdom, found that users who tested positive for COVID-19 were three times more likely to report losing their sense of smell and taste than were those who had symptoms of the virus but tested negative. (Nature | Continuously updated)

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have an hour it's worth a watch
    https://youtu.be/-RZ2KGBGnR4

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options

He concludes with this inanity: "I believe that viruses can't survive where hearts have compassion." Holy cow.... way to ruin your whole dissertation here, Josh.

But very well worth the hour to watch up to the end.

I am a big fan of Epoch Times. Their wiki looks as tho it was cooked up by CNN. But here's what I understand of the organization, imperfect as my understanding may be:

Buddhism is a religion without a god... an inscrutable philosophy examining the unfathomable. Buddhism is as baffling to us as is the "h" in its name. Communism hates religion. Religion assumes that there is a higher authority than the state. and it is therefore the enemy of the ultimate progressivism that seeks authority over everything. Lotta Buddhists in China. China thus persecuted Buddhists. Buddhists formed the Falung Gong, which is basically secular Buddhism. Falung Gong tells you to go about your life without worship, so as not to draw attention, but to incorporate Buddhist ethics in all you do. Alas, even without a god, Buddhism assumes a morality incompatible with a dialectic materialism which demands unthinking obedience. Thus, China proceeded to massacre Falung Gong; supposedly by the millions. Some Falung Gong adherents who fled to Hong Kong began a newspaper called Epoch Times. Under the circumstances, they at the ET do not exactly carry water for the CCP. Their Hong Kong offices have been repeatedly smashed by -- one assumes -- Chinese thugs sent by CCP. They opened offices in Australia as well, I believe. Perhaps that was to escape Hong Kong. Epoch Times publishes regularly on YouTube. Their journalists and news readers, they say, strictly observe the secular Buddhist principles and practices at the heart of Falung Gong.

It's hard to find impartial news. These guys are pretty good.

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:
    Olive Veronesi, 94 years old, not much taste in beer, but she knows what she likes:

Passers-by left several cases on her doorstep

Coors delivered ten cases to her. $8 worth of beer gets them countless dollars worth of publicity. It's still cool though.

Unless this is a different story. I'm sure there are many people running out of the essentials in these times. I'm too lazy to use Google.

• Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

https://news.yahoo.com/york-city-revises-coronavirus-death-205328540.html

NYC: People are starting to get tired of this lockdown we've imposed on them. Our fatality numbers aren't scary enough. I know, let's inflate them by just tacking on anyone we just think may have had the bug. Nah....we don't need to test for it. Who'll ever know?

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...