Comments

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep us posted Glenn and good luck

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two and a half years in, time to take the Swedish approach

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

Get over your mild case soon, Glenn. I passed my first COVID home test yesterday. I wasn't having symptoms, but wanted to test before visiting my mom

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's just hope he passes through it ok.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@ShawnOL said:
    Let's just hope he passes through it ok.

least it's not cancer

• Options

As long as he makes it until November 2024.

• Options
    MrPossumMrPossum Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭

So whole house has Covid, pretty mild other than the baby running pretty hot, but I’ve lost my sense of smell and it’s hell. Anyone else lost their sense of smell? Did you gain it back? If not, how is your cigar experience now?

• Options

Dang, sorry to hear that. I hope you all recover soon. I hear taste and smell return but it can take a while, but it helps if you do smelling exercises as you recover to retrain your senses.

• Options

On the bright side, I’m now immune to onions and taking shots of cheap liquor

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

And you can smoke up all those cheap cigars you bought when you first picked up the hobby and they won't taste so bad now.

• Options

@silvermouse makes sense, as much as I pick my nose I’m probably just as much at fault for my sense of smell being gone. I wonder if there’s a link between habitual nose pickers, Covid, and loss of smell

• Options

How you sposed to tell if you've got dingleberries again or you just sat on cocoa puffs?

• Options
    edited July 2022

@skydiverD did you chance smoking any cigars during the period your senses where diminished? If so, how was it?

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first thing I noticed not being able to smell was Vicks Vapo-rub. Then I went into the kitchen and found I couldn't smell garlic, or any of my other spices, or pipe tobacco. I told my girlfriend "This is the weirdest flu I've ever had", and then my toes turned purple. Walking from the bed to the couch put me out of breath.

A couple months later it was announced that there was a new virus called Covid-19. That explained a lot.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrPossum said:
    @skydiverD did you chance smoking any cigars during the period your senses where diminished? If so, how was it?

When I had it I lost senses for two weeks. I smoked crap cigars, couldn’t taste a single thing so there was no need to waste a good smoke. Taste and smell came back slow over a few weeks.

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine came back after 3 days this last time. Last year when I got it, it took a while longer.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options

Fortunately mine is nearly all the way back now, though i did notice it’s not fully back, my second cigar tasted a little watery, best way I can describe it.

• Options

Good news!

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20220802/Study-shows-probability-of-getting-COVID-for-mask-wearers-vs-non-mask-wearers.aspx

The study results showed that a total of 1,539 subjects were analyzed from 13 studies, including four community-based and nine healthcare-based studies. Among these, 143 subjects had SARS-CoV-2 infections, including 97 who did and 146 who did not wear facemasks. The team noted that the probability of contracting a COVID-19 disease was 7% for mask wearers and 52% for non-mask wearers. The relative risk of getting infected by SARS-CoV-2 was 0.13 for mask wearers.

In the healthcare setting, 9% of the mask wearers and 33% of the non-mask wearers tested COVID-19 positive. Furthermore, the relative risk of contracting COVID-19 was 0.20 for individuals wearing facemasks within the healthcare setting. Additionally, in community settings, the team noted that 6% of mask wearers and 83% of non-maks wearers tested SARS-CoV-2 positive. The relative risk of contracting COVID-19 in the community setting was 0.08 for mask wearers.

The results showed an association between using a facemask and testing positive for COVID-19 since over 92% of the subjects who wore a mask did not test COVID-19 positive. The correlation between COVID-19-positivity and wearing a facemask varied considerably between the healthcare and community settings. Overall, 50% of subjects who did not wear a mask did not contract COVID-19. Notably, 83% and 33% of the subjects who did not wear a facemask in the community and healthcare settings contracted COVID-19, respectively. Compared to healthcare settings, the correlation between contracting COVID-19 and wearing a facemask was greater in the community setting.

Overall, the study findings indicated that mask wearers were less likely to contract COVID-19 in healthcare and community settings. It will be necessary to conduct further research as more information becomes available. The researchers believe that future studies are necessary to ascertain the impact of regulations related to facemask usage and other interventions on COVID-19 transmission.

• Options

We need another mask mandate to make the mask wearers feel better.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    We need another mask mandate to make the mask wearers feel better.

I work with a few mask wearer's...... they do them and never ask anyone to put one on. I always inform them they don't need to when they are with me to give them an option. They just want to minimize risk for them.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

How many of the mask wearers have glasses or contacts? Also taking subjects from various studies seem as though pertinent information is missing, and or cherry picked. “1539 subjects from 13 studies”. I was also told I’m wearing a mask to protect others, so can we drop that falsity now?

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

Admittedly, I am a skeptic at heart, and admittedly I get more skeptical of studies when I don't agree with or believe them. I also admit to knowing nothing about how a study is conducted and if/how they filter out nuances so the study can actually reflect reality...

For example, how do they measure the effect of mask-wearers generally being more cautious in their environment and what they allow themselves to come in contact with?

I've not really cared enough about the mask issue to take a deep dive into it, but have seen an equal amount of (or more) studies that say they have little effect one way or another.

I hate that it's come to this, that there is now corruption in science and sociology where various opinions and worldviews can compete. Maybe it was always that way and I just never knew it.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis