Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the dead ones...

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@Usaf06 said:

@silvermouse said:
    what make me wonder about this is why didn't China come out and report this since it was being attacked for causing the epidemic? I would think they would have presented this information.

If China admitted this leaked from their lab it would bankrupt the country from the millions of lawsuits. Each death is a wrongful death lawsuit.

Wait.... like Americans going to China to sue their government?

No, federal court. They would have to freeze assets in the US

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard something interesting on the radio the other day. Spain has apparently accepted the obvious and decided to quit reporting each and every case of Covid-19. It seems that the Spanish government has realized that the virus is now endemic and will be with us forever in one form or another, just like the flu. The rest of Europe is unhappy with this decision. As if it mattered to the virus.

During the same news segment it was reported that the virus we now refer to as the "common cold", another corona virus, was once known as "The Russian Flu", and was pretty much just as deadly as the Covid-19 virus is these days. Over time, the virus and the human population adapted to one another, until the virus became rather more of a nuisance than a deadly disease.

I suspect that most governments, especially ours, will continue to try and keep the fear alive while they capitalize on the benefits they derive from inciting and maximizing fear amongst the sheeple. I'm sure that we'll see it continue through at least the next election cycle. Keep 'em looking at the numbers, that way nobody sees the other things that are, or aren't happening.

Yes, I'm still for vaccination and reasonable precautions, but maybe we should be looking at what the real problems are with our non-existent health care "system". I'm ready for the demagogues to stand down, shut their pie-holes, and get back to paying attention to maintaining and stabilizing freedom for the individual citizens.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    I'm ready for the demagogues to stand down, shut their pie-holes, and get back to paying attention to maintaining and stabilizing freedom for the individual citizens.

Good luck with that.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    I'm ready for the demagogues to stand down, shut their pie-holes, and get back to paying attention to maintaining and stabilizing freedom for the individual citizens.

That is a big ask, considering it is debatable whether or not most of them even made that their priority before the pandemic.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pandemic’s true death toll
    On 1 November, the global death toll from the COVID-19 pandemic passed five million, official data suggested. It has now reached 5.5 million. But that figure is a significant underestimate. Records of excess mortality — a metric that compares all deaths recorded with those expected to occur — show that many more people have died in the pandemic. Working out how many more is a complex research challenge. Some official data are flawed, and more than 100 countries do not collect reliable statistics on deaths at all. Efforts to correct the record use methods including satellite images of cemeteries, door-to-door surveys and machine-learning computer models that extrapolate estimates from available data.

Nature | 15 min read

Global toll: Bar chart showing confirmed COVID-19 deaths and estimates of excess deaths from The Economist and IHME.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

That is a big ask, considering it is debatable whether or not most of them even made that their priority before the pandemic.

And now y'all know why my sister bought me the Don Quixote T-shirt. Man of La Mancha, that's me. I wish I still had that shirt. I wore it out.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

The site to get four free COVID tests per household is now up and accepting orders.

https://www.covidtests.gov/

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

Do you really need a test to tell you that you feel like shlt?

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    Do you really need a test to tell you that you feel like shlt?

The test will tell you what kind of shlt you feel like. :)

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

For my age group the flu can be worse. from today's NYT:

"A typical 65-year-old American woman — to take one example — is five foot three inches tall and weighs 166 pounds. If she had been vaccinated and did not have a major Covid risk factor, like an organ transplant, her chance of dying after contracting Covid would be 1 in 872, according to the calculator. For a typical 65-year-old man, the risk would be 1 in 434.

Among 75-year-olds, the risk would be 1 in 264 for a typical woman and 1 in 133 for a typical man.

Those are meaningful risks. But they are not larger than many other risks older people face. In the 2019-20 flu season, about 1 out of every 138 Americans 65 and older who had flu symptoms died from them, according to the C.D.C."

• Options

Just a thought.....
    The rona has been around for two years and has gone through two mutations, getting weaker each time. If it hasn't killed you yet, it's probably not going to.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@ShawnOL said:
    Just a thought.....
    The rona has been around for two years and has gone through two mutations, getting weaker each time. If it hasn't killed you yet, it's probably not going to.

I've managed to avoid getting infected so far.

• Options
    edited January 2022

@silvermouse said:
    For my age group the flu can be worse. from today's NYT:

"A typical 65-year-old American woman — to take one example — is five foot three inches tall and weighs 166 pounds. If she had been vaccinated and did not have a major Covid risk factor, like an organ transplant, her chance of dying after contracting Covid would be 1 in 872, according to the calculator. For a typical 65-year-old man, the risk would be 1 in 434.

Among 75-year-olds, the risk would be 1 in 264 for a typical woman and 1 in 133 for a typical man.

Those are meaningful risks. But they are not larger than many other risks older people face. In the 2019-20 flu season, about 1 out of every 138 Americans 65 and older who had flu symptoms died from them, according to the C.D.C."

1:434 vs. 1:138?
    WTF?
    What if the 65 year old in 2019 was vaxxed against the flu? There's your comparo, innit?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

• Options

The courts have ruled Pfizer must release the data submitted for emergency use authorization at a rate of 55000 pages a month, versus the 500 that they had planned. That would have taken 75 years for completion of the release.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll never get that time of my life back......... I'm so disappointed. 😔

• Options

Pandemic fatigue I guess, folks seen innured these days:

"The pace of new COVID-19 cases in the U.S. has fallen by more than two-thirds from its peak just weeks ago, data from Johns Hopkins University shows.

Still, the nation is reporting 1.86 million cases a week, and about 2,500 deaths continue to be reported every day."

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I for one have been saying the released data is misleading and inaccurate, here you go.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cdc-isnt-publishing-large-portions-124915536.html

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

@Patrickbrick said:
    I for one have been saying the released data is misleading and inaccurate, here you go.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cdc-isnt-publishing-large-portions-124915536.html

The. Importance of supporting narrative far out weights the importance of the data.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.