Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

🙄

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jrflickster said:

@NorCalR1 said:
    Did this thread die? Mutate?
    Asking for a friend…

Fūckin Dave

I was merely inquiring 🧐
    Maybe it just needed a boost(er)…

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh I see what you did there ;)

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to make everyone mad again, because both sides are going to hate half of this sentence. The Omicron variant is VERY infective, and the vaccine doesn't appear to be working against it. An example:

In Norway, there was a Christmas party of 120 people. Every single person who attended was vaccinated. Someone got back from South Africa, went to the party, and infected between 60-100 of the 120 people. The person who did the infecting didn't come within 6 feet of every guest, they were just in the same restaurant sized room for an hour.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/omicron-outbreak-norway-christmas-party-is-biggest-outside-s-africa-authorities-2021-12-03/

In South Africa, on 11/12, there were 395 new COVID infections. On 12/3, exactly 3 weeks later, there were 16,055. Dark days ahead. We can all argue about the best way to deal with COVID, but we can't argue with an exponent.

Side note, if I were you, I'd make a Costco/Sam's Club run this week before the idiots buy out the grocery stores and toilet paper like they did last time.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalvinAndHobo said:

Side note, if I were you, I'd make a Costco/Sam's Club run this week before the idiots buy out the grocery stores and toilet paper like they did last time.

What's up with that anyway? "The world may come to an end, but I'm still wiping mine!" People are crazy. I guess it helps that I remember cloth diapers, you WASH them, and use them again. A washcloth will respond to the same treatment.

As far as the new variant goes, yeah? Well, that's what viruses do. We've reached the point where the more dangerous aspect is what world governments do, over reaching power and control. Take reasonable measures to avoid getting sick, what will be will be.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited December 2021

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@CalvinAndHobo said:

What's up with that anyway? "The world may come to an end, but I'm still wiping mine!" People are crazy. I guess it helps that I remember cloth diapers, you WASH them, and use them again. A washcloth will respond to the same treatment.

As far as the new variant goes, yeah? Well, that's what viruses do. We've reached the point where the more dangerous aspect is what world governments do, over reaching power and control. Take reasonable measures to avoid getting sick, what will be will be.

Yeah I’ve always been on the it’s-your-own-choice side of the COVID debate like you have. I think it’s still worth knowing the risks though, so I thought I’d mention it. The 3.5 day doubling rate says we’re going to have full hospitals in about 3-4 months, unless this mutation is less severe than Delta, which it might be. If you don’t plan to change your lifestyle, it’s still worth knowing so you can prepare. Just common sense stuff like the toilet paper, or moving investments out of retail businesses temporarily. Things like that. Plus, I couldn’t resist trying to make everyone mad at me with 1 sentence :D . I’m still going to try and avoid talking about what I think the government should or shouldn’t do, just for my own piece of mind, since whichever option I think is the worst is the one I’m sure they’ll pick.

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I've read isn't this varient equivalent to a cold with mild symptoms

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options

@Usaf06 said:
    From what I've read isn't this varient equivalent to a cold with mild symptoms

I've been having a hard time finding actual numbers about it's severity, since I can't find hospitalization stats for South Africa. it seems like every article has been using vague words like "appears to..." "seems to be..." "looks as if...". But yes, everything I've seen is saying the symptoms are less severe in this version.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the moment it is the delta putting people in the hospital.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not all that concerned about any of it. I took it more seriously in the beginning, I wore a mask, I stayed away from people, and when my kids tested positive we quarantined according to the CDC guidelines. However, I have since realized how politicized it all is and how questionable the numbers have been. Therefore, I will continue to exercise my common sense by washing my hands, eating right, and staying away from others if I feel sick, but I am not going to get all riled up just because this thing keeps getting prolonged.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty good ^ 😆

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/26/politics/travel-restrictions-south-africa/index.html

Had Trump ordered this same ban, what would CNN be saying?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

nyt:
    JAN. 31

The Trump administration restricted travel from China
    The Trump administration suspended entry into the United States by any foreign nationals who had traveled to China in the past 14 days, excluding the immediate family members of American citizens or permanent residents. By this date, 213 people had died and nearly 9,800 had been infected worldwide.

• Options

There is most certainly a heavy media bias, @webmost. Folks should keep that in mind whenever they read or listen to the news, especially the mainstream news sources.

• Options

Which is not to say that the mainstream media doesn't put a spin on their reporting.

• Options

opinion is fact-checked-immune, even if a few cherry-picked facts are thrown in. Watching the evening fox or msnbc bear this out. Problem is most people who gravitate to Tucker or Rachel feel it is unbiased because it confirms their opinion. So, yeah, Hobbes is right about the echo chamber death of journalism. Always been that way.

• Options

Your father was spot on with that, @Patrickbrick.

Just to clarify any potential misunderstandings anyone may have had from my previous comment, I believe all media sources are biased. However, some admit their bias and others don't. The ones that don't admit their bias are the ones we really need to watch out for. I find those to be the mainstream sources, including Fox.

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:
    Your father was spot on with that, @Patrickbrick.

Just to clarify any potential misunderstandings anyone may have had from my previous comment, I believe all media sources are biased. However, some admit their bias and others don't. The ones that don't admit their bias are the ones we really need to watch out for. I find those to be the mainstream sources, including Fox.

You're going to try and tell me fox doesn't clearly tell us they are biased... they are biased and proud of it

• Options

1 quick thing I'd like to add to this thread even though I've done my best to stay out...
    Just something I've personally noticed at my work specifically.
    I got my vaccine because Lindsay told me to and she's the boss and I don't much care either way.
    My mentor the guy who has taught me everything I know was hard core fūck that covid vaccine. His brother got covid then pneumonia almost died. Boom my mentor quietly got his vaccine just told me the other day did it because even if it doesn't prevent him from getting it he hopes it will help keep him out of the hospital after seeing what happened to his brother.
    My boss basically believes covid is a conspiracy to some level. Now his daughter has been out of the office for going on 4 weeks with covid/double pneumonia his wife has been out a week and now the discussion is maybe the vaccine wouldn't hurt... it's just interesting to see first hand how when shït hits home ppl can change their stance on something. I'm not saying they now believe its a cure all but all of a sudden they feel "what could it hurt".
    I get that there just hasn't been enough time to tell long term what it will do to us but it's amazing how easily 1 can change their opinion when it becomes real/personal.

• Options

@Jrflickster said:
    You're going to try and tell me fox doesn't clearly tell us they are biased... they are biased and proud of it

If they freely admit it, then good on them. I simply haven't heard anyone on there plainly state they are bias, but I also don't watch Fox very often.

• Options

@Jrflickster said:
    1 quick thing I'd like to add to this thread even though I've done my best to stay out...
    Just something I've personally noticed at my work specifically.
    I got my vaccine because Lindsay told me to and she's the boss and I don't much care either way.
    My mentor the guy who has taught me everything I know was hard core fūck that covid vaccine. His brother got covid then pneumonia almost died. Boom my mentor quietly got his vaccine just told me the other day did it because even if it doesn't prevent him from getting it he hopes it will help keep him out of the hospital after seeing what happened to his brother.
    My boss basically believes covid is a conspiracy to some level. Now his daughter has been out of the office for going on 4 weeks with covid/double pneumonia his wife has been out a week and now the discussion is maybe the vaccine wouldn't hurt... it's just interesting to see first hand how when shït hits home ppl can change their stance on something. I'm not saying they now believe its a cure all but all of a sudden they feel "what could it hurt".
    I get that there just hasn't been enough time to tell long term what it will do to us but it's amazing how easily 1 can change their opinion when it becomes real/personal.

We all tend to take things more seriously when they happen to those we love.

My three oldest kids, as well as my wife, all tested positive for Covid-19 at one point. None of them experienced anything worse than a fever a little nausea for a few days. It is hard to tell who will be greatly affected by it and who won't.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

98% survivable. Do you feel as though you'll be in the 98% or the 2%?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    98% survivable. Do you feel as though you'll be in the 98% or the 2%?

Judging by my powerball picks this far….

• Options

speaking of pandemics:

"Big organizations, the Fortune 500 types, likely have the resources to plug their Log4Shell holes in the coming weeks and months. But even they’ll have to wait for third-party vendors to provide fixes. And whole constellations of companies and organizations lack the capacity or personnel even to know how exposed they are, much less patch those points of exposure. To say nothing of the vast swaths of the internet that no one’s looking after at all. The next wave of Log4Shell is coming. And then the next, and the next, and the next, and the next.

“It’s going to be around,” says Gallagher, “as long as the internet.""

https://www.wired.com/story/log4j-log4shell-vulnerability-ransomware-second-wave/

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all about power and control, Europe (Germany, Austria) are beginning to lock down the unvaccinated, we usually lag behind Europe several weeks so get ready.

A little dirt never hurt